General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

bugbear
Frequent contributor

Replacement remote?

Post by bugbear »

My remote control is becoming VERY unresponsive.

Are there any likely sources of a replacement (I have a saved search running on eBay).

Or should I get a programmable remote? (and if so, can anyone recommend one?)

BugBear
I think the hard thing about all these tools is that it takes a fair amount of effort to become proficient.

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16
bugbear
Frequent contributor

Post by bugbear »

Reading old threads - my grateful thanks to whoever discovered the "digital camera shows remote activity" trick!!

My remote IS operating, but either the remote is low power, or the IR receiver isn't playing nice.

Operation is GOOD at close range, with responsiveness falling off rapidly with distance.

(New Duracell batteries fitted)

BugBear
I think the hard thing about all these tools is that it takes a fair amount of effort to become proficient.

Bill Joy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

It's not unheard of for the IR receiver on the Toppy front panel to fail. This often prevents the front panel buttons from working properly too.

I can repair your front panel, or I can supply the part if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
bugbear
Frequent contributor

Post by bugbear »

andyfras wrote:It's not unheard of for the IR receiver on the Toppy front panel to fail. This often prevents the front panel buttons from working properly too.

I can repair your front panel, or I can supply the part if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Any way of diagnosing remote fault VS front panel fault?

BugBear

Bill Joy
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

If the remote is visible on all buttons using a digital camera, the fault is the other end, i.e. the front panel. Presumably you can't borrow another Toppy remote to try?

I have probably replaced over 20 front panel IR receivers and one remote IR transmitter, so that shows that it's far more likely to be the receiver.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
bugbear
Frequent contributor

Post by bugbear »

andyfras wrote:If the remote is visible on all buttons using a digital camera, the fault is the other end, i.e. the front panel. Presumably you can't borrow another Toppy remote to try?

I have probably replaced over 20 front panel IR receivers and one remote IR transmitter, so that shows that it's far more likely to be the receiver.
OK - so it's either the buttons fail on the remote, or the receiver fails on the main box.

I'll check. Thanks for your help.

BugBear

Bill Joy
bugbear
Frequent contributor

Post by bugbear »

Remote confirmed as "flashing when viewed in a digital camera" on all buttons.

Bizarrely, after doing usual "low level" maintainance (clean battery contacts, clean transmitter window, clean IR receiver window, cold-restart Topfield) it's working quite well at the moment.

BugBear

Bill Joy