For technical discussions, work-arounds and fixes - not for general moans

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

MarkPax
Frequent contributor

Post by MarkPax »

Andy reported that my PSU was in reasonable shape, so I guess my HDD crash was not PSU related. Perhaps sometimes they just go. We had an awful lot of power outages at the time, maybe a power spike got the disk.

Happy to have an AndyFras approved PSU anyway, should be good for a while now.
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +PeR0UUuWfZ
TAPs: TAP Commander 1.34; TommyFF v2.1; BlankStuff v2.5; MyInfo B5.5; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; TF5000 Display v1.53;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/5/11
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

jleverto wrote:
andyfras wrote:
jleverto wrote:Could be capacitors again, but sounds a bit less likely this time...
Very unlikely - I've never had to change them a second time.

In that case, it is probably disk corruption or failure. You will need to remove the disk and connect it to a PC running TopfHDRW/Doctor. This may fix the corruption with no, or little, loss of recordings. If not, the disk hardware has probably failed.

http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/T ... _Setup.zip
Thanks Andy - I'll look into that.... Time to investigate turning my NAS into a PVR, I think...
Ok, so now I have TopfHDRW loaded up and the toppy disc hang off my (Windows7 PC) in a USB caddy. I run TopfHDDoctor and I select the disk, then not much happens.... Can't find instructions anywhere that make sense to me....
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

Ok, so now I have TopfHDRW loaded up and the toppy disc hang off my (Windows7 PC) in a USB caddy. I run TopfHDDoctor and I select the disk, then not much happens.... Can't find instructions anywhere that make sense to me....
When you install TopfHDRW on your PC it will also put a manual in the same folder. The manual is in a .pdf format. It's in both German and English with the German bit first.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

alan_m wrote:
When you install TopfHDRW on your PC it will also put a manual in the same folder. The manual is in a .pdf format. It's in both German and English with the German bit first.
I got that, but it's not making sense to me....
If I run TopfHDRW - it doesn't see the disk
If I run TopfHDDoctor and I select the disk, then not much seems to happen
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

jleverto wrote:
alan_m wrote:
I got that, but it's not making sense to me....
If I run TopfHDRW - it doesn't see the disk
If I run TopfHDDoctor and I select the disk, then not much seems to happen
Ahhhh apologies - looks like I may have been somewhat impatient.. :oops:
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

So the disc seems to be dead, but I want to check before I start on getting a new disc that my diagnosis is correct.

Toppy wouldn't start. Just got stuck saying "run" on the display.
So I ran TopfHDDoctor a few times and in the process seemed to lose all my recordings (which I had written off anyway, so no big deal).
I tried to format the disc using TopfHDDoctor (planning to do a format on the Toppy straight away after that), with no change.
So I did a Kill Disk, which seemed to work in terms of the results seen on my PC. Now the Toppy boots but all disc options are greyed out in the menu.

So do I assume the disc is basically so corrupted it's unusable and get a new one? Or do I take it back to andyfras to analyse/fix the capacitors again?

Anyone, any thoughts?
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

If the disk options are greyed out, your Toppy can't even tell it's there. If it could, you would be able to format it (which only takes a few seconds).
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Try reseating both of the power and data cables.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

Geoff Bacon wrote:Try reseating both of the power and data cables.

Geoff
I'll give it a go (will need to wait until tomorrow...), but I can hear the disc spinning so power should be ok and I'm pretty sure the data cable is right in... So if that's not it what might it be?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Did you have to change any jumpers when you connected to the pc?

Other than that I've no idea.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

Geoff Bacon wrote:Did you have to change any jumpers when you connected to the pc?

Other than that I've no idea.

Geoff
Nope. Just put it in a USB caddy.... 'twas VERY slow....
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I'm guessing you've got a 5800.

I've seen problems with 5810's with a particular sata adapter losing the disc drive when using hdmi.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

ccs wrote:I'm guessing you've got a 5800.

I've seen problems with 5810's with a particular sata adapter losing the disc drive when using hdmi.
Yes, it's a 5800.
Finally tried a different drive and the Toppy offered to format that when it started. So looks like a new HDD (spare drive is only 120GB, so won't use that...). I think I might go bigger. Any advice, things to avoid? I'm not going to mess about with going SATA or anything like that...
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

jleverto wrote:So looks like a new HDD (spare drive is only 120GB, so won't use that...). I think I might go bigger. I'm not going to mess about with going SATA or anything like that...
You might not be able to avoid it. See the sticky thread http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17720 (and the sticky SATA adapter thread in the same forum) for lots of advice.
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jleverto

Post by jleverto »

juwlz wrote:You might not be able to avoid it. See the sticky thread http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17720 (and the sticky SATA adapter thread in the same forum) for lots of advice.
Thanks juwlz. There are plenty of IDE drives out there, though which will work does sound tricky.
I also saw that checking the PSU was wise, but I'm hoping that as andyfras has changed the capacitors, this should be ok....