How to link your Toppy to a PC or Mac; networking your Toppy, Web-based EPG systems, DVD burning and file transfers

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Rich
Frequent contributor

Post by Rich »

In my ongoing quest ot get my toppy comunicating with my p.c ive just aquired an asus WL-500g router from e bay for £20.
will that do the trick?
disk : samsung spinpoint 400GB
firmware 5.13.65
Taps:
UK timers v1.2, UK Oz Surfer v0.11d, RadTV 0.2, Power restore V0.7.3, EPG Navigator+UK autoscheduler Tap Comander v1.0.1, TF5000 Display V1.39, Description extend 2.1, Improbox V2.1 RC15c
Bob_Swede
Frequent contributor

Post by Bob_Swede »

Rich wrote:In my ongoing quest ot get my toppy communicating with my p.c i've just acquired an ASUS WL-500g router from e bay for £20.
will that do the trick?
Yes, if you follow the advice in this thread...
Notice the very good guide by Chunkywizard linked to in my sig.
I have a 500-gP but I think it does not matter.
Bo B (Sweden)
5700HDMIPVRt, TS On, F/W: patches (3.17 aka 5.14.77)
TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; ChannelChangeButtonHack 1.1; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Cmder 1.34; MyInfo B5.4;
(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
Rich
Frequent contributor

Post by Rich »

Its arived, now i need time to sort it out.
the only difference between it and the ones mentioned in this thread is that the one ive got must be an older model, as it only has one USB port, the other port is an old style printer/parallel/serial port marked Printer.
will this be a problem or will it work with a USB hub ( two usb sockets to one plug )?
Model Asus WL-500g
disk : samsung spinpoint 400GB
firmware 5.13.65
Taps:
UK timers v1.2, UK Oz Surfer v0.11d, RadTV 0.2, Power restore V0.7.3, EPG Navigator+UK autoscheduler Tap Comander v1.0.1, TF5000 Display V1.39, Description extend 2.1, Improbox V2.1 RC15c
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

Rich wrote:Its arived, now i need time to sort it out.
the only difference between it and the ones mentioned in this thread is that the one ive got must be an older model, as it only has one USB port, the other port is an old style printer/parallel/serial port marked Printer.
will this be a problem or will it work with a USB hub ( two usb sockets to one plug )?
Model Asus WL-500g
Yup, I've just bought a WL500G through ebay too, and waddaya know, it also has only one USB port.

Is it possible to get the system working with the Toppy, with only a single port?

Cheers

Nic
iGuide (EPG, now-and-next, series links) and iGuideSMS (sms connectivity for the Toppy) TAPs. Latest manual, alpha spike and beta
Bob_Swede
Frequent contributor

Post by Bob_Swede »

shinyford wrote:
Rich wrote:Its arived, now i need time to sort it out.
Model Asus WL-500g
Yup, I've just bought a WL500G through ebay too, and waddaya know, it also has only one USB port.

Is it possible to get the system working with the Toppy, with only a single port?

Cheers

Nic
I think I saw mention of using a USB hub in the single connector to expand it so that both the Toppy and the memory stick can be connected at the same time..
I have a unit with two connectors so I have not been forced to do this though...
Bo B (Sweden)
5700HDMIPVRt, TS On, F/W: patches (3.17 aka 5.14.77)
TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; ChannelChangeButtonHack 1.1; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Cmder 1.34; MyInfo B5.4;
(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

Actually, yes, I found it at the top of page 4 of this thread, from the (almost predictably) ubiquitous R2-D2. Many thanks, both.

Cheers

Nic
iGuide (EPG, now-and-next, series links) and iGuideSMS (sms connectivity for the Toppy) TAPs. Latest manual, alpha spike and beta
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

So, I'm now - only weeks later! - setting up the Asus, and it's all going fairly swimmingly.

However, I'm having problems with ipkg. Every time I try to install something, I get the following:

Code: Select all

[admin@WL root]$ ipkg install nano
Installing nano (2.0.6-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/nano_2.0.6-1_mipsel.ipk
wget: server returned error 404: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 22.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-0uBjwU http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/nano_2.0.6-1_mipsel.ipk'
Failed to download nano. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?
[admin@WL root]$
(I have run 'ipkg update', by the way. Repeatedly.)

It looks like the problem is with the repo: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslu ... g/Packages exists, and http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g gives a decent directory listing with the appropriate packages in it. But clicking on a package .ipk link gives a 404.

Am I doing something stupid, or has the repo mysteriously emptied?

Cheers

Nic
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

If nano is the show stopper just use vi :wink: Download the Packages.gz, unzip it and then pick the packages you want by cutting/pasting the address from the file. They're all there but it'll be a bit more painfull.
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

No, nano was just an example failure - but thanks for the tip. I'll try Packages.gz.

Cheers

Nic
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

Ah, I see - that's the file at http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslu ... g/Packages.

Problem is. so far as I can tell the package info just tells you what the .ipk is called, not where it can be found in the interweb (well, there are some source locations, but I don't think I have the wherewithall to compile them up from scratch). So I guess that's why it's looking in http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g/ - the Packages parent directory - for the .ipk files.

Anybody know if there really is a problem with the repo?

Cheers

Nic
birdman
Frequent contributor

Post by birdman »

That distribution seems to have had no updates since 2007.

I switched to the optware/oleg distribution some time ago (my notes are from 08 June 2007) and that is still being updated (and is still working.

Here are my notes:
Update to nslu2 install from wl500g.dyndns.org one because it had perl
(not just microperl) available.

(see http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8459)

Needed:
wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... mipsel.ipk
ipkg.sh install ipkg-opt_0.99.163-9_mipsel.ipk
wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... mipsel.ipk
ipkg.sh install uclibc-opt_0.9.28-12_mipsel.ipk
ipkg update

plus update of nano and ncurses.

also see: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/Optware-uClibcBuild
The 2 packages are now at -10 and -13 respectively.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
shinyford
Frequent contributor

Post by shinyford »

Fantastic - thanks for the new repo address. Glad to see my basic assessment of the problem was correct.

Cheers

Nic
Wolfie
Frequent contributor

Post by Wolfie »

Two questions regarding using the wl500-gp:-

1) - as I have ethernet over power, and have a nearby socket, could I use one of the wl500-gp's ethernet ports instead of wireless? My router is two flootrs above and wi-fi coverage isn't so good.

2) - I have two Toppies under my TV - if I use a USB hub could I have both Toppies attached at the same time or would I need to connect them one at a time, as needed?

Thanks for any help

Mick
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: remote_sharer v0.03; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.31 Build 8; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.5; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 22/3/11
birdman
Frequent contributor

Post by birdman »

Wolfie wrote:1) - as I have ethernet over power, and have a nearby socket, could I use one of the wl500-gp's ethernet ports instead of wireless?
Yes. I've plugged my laptop into mine when it reset itself a few times.
Not sure if you'll need a config change, but it's doable. But it's possible they all have the same IP address by default.
And also wrote:2) - I have two Toppies under my TV - if I use a USB hub could I have both Toppies attached at the same time or would I need to connect them one at a time, as needed?
You can have both connected the the same time. The only issue is that, by default, they'll have the same Vendor and Product ids, and their order on the bus may change according to the order they get powered up.
However - if you look here you'll find a puppy and ftp-topfield which have been patched to let you denote the location by which USB port it is connected to.
(FYI: That site might be down for a while over the weekend - but I'll try to remember to switch it to the backup copy - which is actually on my Asus).

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Wolfie
Frequent contributor

Post by Wolfie »

Cheers birdman - I've yet to pick up an Asus, but we've just got upgraded laptops via work and I don't have the privs to install Topfield applications any more, so I'm looking at other avenues for getting stuff off the Toppies.
I guess I'd prefer a plug and play type of thing; maybe some sort of Ethernet to USB print server, probably one of those fag packet sized things, but I'm unsure of any that definitely work with the 5800, so I'm considering the Asus route.
Would I be right in thinking that changing the IP address to fit in with my network would be an easy thing? I use a Netgear DG834PN adsl modem/router and I'm happy messing about with IP stuff on there, so I don't think it'll be too much of a challenge unless it involves hours playing with vi!

Mick
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: remote_sharer v0.03; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.31 Build 8; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.5; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 22/3/11