How to link your Toppy to a PC or Mac; networking your Toppy, Web-based EPG systems, DVD burning and file transfers

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

birdman
Frequent contributor

Post by birdman »

Megatron-UK wrote:May have found one of the underlying causes of this problem - usbdevfs is not mounted by default. It's something I never noticed.
Ah - it's mounted by default on Oleg's.
Don't forget to add the mount into a script somewhere in the boot sequence, so that it gets mounted at startup next time.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Megatron-UK
Regular contributor

Post by Megatron-UK »

A little more fiddling and I've got 3 simple scripts to start and stop the Toppy ftp service:

/opt/bin/toppy

Code: Select all

#!/opt/bin/bash

mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
/opt/bin/ftpd -D -P 2121 &
/opt/bin/toppyturbo

#!/opt/bin/bash

mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
/opt/bin/ftpd -b -D -P 2121 &
/opt/bin/toppystop

#!/opt/bin/bash

PID=`pidof ftpd`
kill -9 $PID
Everything seems to be working fine - I've now used the ftp daemon to transfer several firmware patches and a couple of taps back up to the machine. No issues.
With CRC checking disabled at each end I get ~980KBytes/sec download and in turbo mode it peaks at about 2MBytes/secs and then settles down to average of ~1.9MBytes/sec.

Thanks for all the help folks.
BobD
MyStuff Team

Post by BobD »

Help!

I have had a wl500gp working well for ages, using it simply to connect to my toppy wirelessly (and occasionally to test out rt2mei type stuff.

Recently every now and then I have had a few Connection Refused By Server type errors, which normally went away after a few reboots.

The other day, I though I would give the RT data another go, to see how well it played with R2D2's new epg stuff. <= This is when it all started to go wrong :(

When I used putty, then more or less anything I typed (eg ipkg, mkdir etc) just resulted in an "input/output error".

So, I thought I would try to reset the whole thing, in case I had something a bit corrupt.

Now very strange things are happening.

If I hard reset it, then (eventually) I can connect to it when wired. If I then try to a) change its IP address (to one suited for my router) or b) set up the wireless settings, then I often cannot connect to it (wired or wireless). Just changing some of the wireless settings often (but not always) stops me from accessing it wired, until I do (sometimes several) hard resets.

Its really doing my head in!

Just following the normal guide it all often goes wrong at the point at which I change the IP address (even though I am still wired at that point).

I am increasingly coming to the opinion that it is just knackered.

Oh, I have also tried reflashing the firmware (both the original OLEG version as specified by the guide, and the latest version), and it made no difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Of course I could just be doing something very obviously wrong!

It is getting to the point where I just want to chuck it and buy something else, preferably something that will allow me to wirelessly connect to both my toppies, and act as an access point extender to my router in the other room (and possibly allow me to collect RT data). Anyone have any suggestions?
FW: ChunkyWizard Recommended
TAPs:
MyStuff (always one version ahead of everyone else!), and recommended support TAPS
MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
MarkG
Frequent contributor

Post by MarkG »

Hi Bob,

Some Asus issues have been down to a knackered usb memory stick. Swapping that sometimes helps.

MG
TF5800: IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.2; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.0; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.51; SDS V1.3e;
EPG: Asus + rt2mei 1.1a
BobD
MyStuff Team

Post by BobD »

Thanks Mark, that was the first thing I tried. No usb in there at the moment :(
TAPs:
MyStuff (always one version ahead of everyone else!), and recommended support TAPS
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
penthes
Frequent contributor

Post by penthes »

Maybe try a factory reset, then reflash the firmware?
Topfield: TF5800 + WD10EADS (fan cooled) and Sabrent IDE-SATA adapter, Firmware 5.13.65 patched (loader 5.14)
TAPS: MyStuff 5.62c / eit2mei
Connectivity: Asus WL-500gP with Oleg's 1.9.2.7-10 + ipkg / ftpd-topfield / puppy / php / cron / rt2mei / samba
Transmitter:Crystal Palace
BobD
MyStuff Team

Post by BobD »

Thanks. All seems to be working again now, after factory reset, firmware reflash, and deviating from the guide a little and using WDS only.

Cheers
TAPs:
JoeW

Post by JoeW »

Has anyone had experience of file corruption on an EXT3 filesystem mounted on the Asus? I've got a file which gives a segmentation fault when trying to delete it (either directly using rm, or from windows via samba share).

Is there a check utility? I've seen mention of fsck, and e2fcsk - the former isn't there, and I guess the latter is for EXT2 only.

Not strictly Toppy related (am on Virgin now, bad reception where I am - I still miss it though - far better than V+ !), but this thread has been a great source of info for my Asus set up.

Cheers
Model: TF5800PVR. Firmware: 5.12.25. Autostart: Mystuff 4.54e, Remote Extender MHEG 1.1, mcgCYRResume 1.0, PowerManager 1.1
birdman
Frequent contributor

Post by birdman »

JoeW wrote:Has anyone had experience of file corruption on an EXT3 filesystem mounted on the Asus?
Yes - although it my case it seemed to have gone totally haywire after an abrupt removal of power, so I just reformatted the flash drive and copied all of the data back to it (I have backups on a Linux system, so this is very simple for me).
and also wrote:I've got a file which gives a segmentation fault when trying to delete it (either directly using rm, or from windows via samba share).
Both would result in an unlink() system call.
and further wrote:Is there a check utility? I've seen mention of fsck, and e2fcsk - the former isn't there, and I guess the latter is for EXT2 only.
/sbin/fsck.ext3 exists on my system - part of BusyBox.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
JoeW

Post by JoeW »

birdman wrote:I just reformatted the flash drive and copied all of the data back to it
sbin/fsck.ext3 exists on my system - part of BusyBox.
OK, thanks. I don't really want to go the reformat route, as I have 300G of media on the drive. Didn't notice fsck.ext3 - a bit lazy I guess - will give that a go.

Cheers
Model: TF5800PVR. Firmware: 5.12.25. Autostart: Mystuff 4.54e, Remote Extender MHEG 1.1, mcgCYRResume 1.0, PowerManager 1.1
yakelaen
Regular contributor

Post by yakelaen »

I recently came across two problems during a fresh install using the latest ipkg packages with the current version of rt2mei (1.1a) that the guide may require updating with;

1) When testing the initial installation of rt2mei (p.27) using php rt2mei.php I got the following error message "php: can't load library 'libiconv.so.2'"

Googling this I came across the solution at the bottom of this page (page is sometimes slow to load). After installing the libiconv package rt2mei.php then ran without any problems.

For reference the version of the ipkg packages I was using when I was testing rt2mei.php were:
bzip2 - 1.0.4-1
ftpd-topfield - 0.7.4-0
gdbm - 1.8.3-2
ipkg - 0.99.149-2
libdb - 4.2.52-3
libiconv - 1.11-2
libuclibc++ - 0.1.12-4
libxml2 - 2.6.30-1
libxslt - 1.1.22-1
nano - 2.0.6-1
ncurses - 5.6-1
openssl - 0.9.7m-3
pcre - 7.4-1
php - 5.2.4-1
puppy - 1.11-1
z-lib - 1.2.3-2

2) The latest build of rt2mei also uses a character replacement file (rt2mei_character_replacements.php) that also needs to be copied into the rt2mei folder on the Asus (p.27). This needs to be done at the step when copying the rt2mei.cfg and rt2mei.php files across.

r2tmei will run without any problems if the character replacement file is not present, however the MEI file generated will have an extra linefeed inserted into the duration for each programme generated. This extra linefeed then causes the Toppy to crash whenever MyStuff tries to load this MEI file giving the error message "Out of memory 111".
Fraser67
Regular contributor

How to compiling puppy and ftp-topfield

Post by Fraser67 »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide that explains how you go about taking the source code for say puppy or ftp-topfield and compile to make a package suitable for your router that has x-wrt on it?
Thanks
Fraser

PS I have have nearly got wireless toppy using a WL-500W but the wireless interface is running very slowly. Puppy works fine with a direct connection.
Bob_Swede
Frequent contributor

Re: How to compiling puppy and ftp-topfield

Post by Bob_Swede »

Fraser67 wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide that explains how you go about taking the source code for say puppy or ftp-topfield and compile to make a package suitable for your router that has x-wrt on it?
Thanks
Fraser

PS I have have nearly got wireless toppy using a WL-500W but the wireless interface is running very slowly. Puppy works fine with a direct connection.
What is actually running slowly?
If you mean the download speed of the recording files then it is not caused by the ASUS, it is a limitation in the Toppy itself. Even though the connector is labelled as USB2.0 it is more like USB1.1 speed-wise. Maybe it can be tweaked to 2 Mbytes/s using turbo mode but not nearly as high as 47 Mbytes/s as would be the case for USB2.0.
When I download I get a bit more than 1 Mbyte/s, not more. But that is the case with a direct USB connection to my PC too...
So I doubt that you will get better speed by changing to different hardware.

Then again, you might refer to something completely different, speed-wise....
Bo B (Sweden)
5700HDMIPVRt, TS On, F/W: patches (3.17 aka 5.14.77)
TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; ChannelChangeButtonHack 1.1; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Cmder 1.34; MyInfo B5.4;
(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
birdman
Frequent contributor

Re: How to compiling puppy and ftp-topfield

Post by birdman »

Fraser67 wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide that explains how you go about taking the source code for say puppy or ftp-topfield and compile to make a package
Not exactly a guide, but have a look at http://birdman.dynalias.org/Toppy/R2-D2/ and post questions (or PM me).

Fraser67
Regular contributor

Slow Wl-500W

Post by Fraser67 »

The wireless link is very,very slow when the toppy is connected to the USB port, even when there is no data transfer from the toppy. Very odd.