How to link your Toppy to a PC or Mac; networking your Toppy, Web-based EPG systems, DVD burning and file transfers

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Clive of India
Regular contributor

Connect Seagate to TV Help Needed

Post by Clive of India »

Hi Everyone

Can someone out there put me straight, I’ve got a Topfield PVR and because its full I’ve copied some of the video recordings from it onto another external hard drive namely a Seagate.

I’ve done this via my desktop computer using a programme called Antares.
Now what I’ve been doing to date is, as I’ve watched more recordings off the Topfield making more space, I have then copied stuff back off the Seagate onto the Topfield using the same Antares programme so I can view it on my TV.

I have now got a Hitachi 50HYT62U TV and thought maybe I could just simply plug the Seagate hard drive into a USB port on the TV, instead of having to go through the process of copying onto the Topfield first.

The only problem is when the Seagate is connected to the TV It's saying there are no recordings, I’m obviously doing something wrong, if someone can make sense of the above, can they explain what I need to do?

My thanks to anyone who can advise.
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Re: Connect Seagate to TV Help Needed

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Perhaps your TV doesn't support the way you formatted the Seagate ? - it probably needs to be FAT32 or NTFS.

You will need to provide an external power supply for the disk - it won't get enough power from the USB port alone.

Also, the TV may only recognise certain file extensions and/or it may not like the toppy recording header.
Suggest you stick a blank USB stick in the back of the TV and use the menus to format it for storage. Then record on it from the tv (this will show you the file extension that it is expecting).
Remove stick from tv (power off TV first) and insert in pc. Copy a toppy recording onto it and give it the same extension as the native recording.
Use the properties option to determine how the USB stick was formatted (and compare with the Seagate)
Replace stick in TV and see if you can play the copied recording.

There have been some other posts recently about converting the toppy file headers quickly so you might want to search the forum if no one posts about how to do it.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

As Geoff says it's very unlikely the TV will recognise the .rec file extension, try converting one to mp4. It's almost certain that the tv usb socket won't provide enough power to run 3.5" HDD, it will be fine with pen drives and SSD's, might even work with some 2.5" HDD's but a 3.5" will likely need an external power source.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 16/12/20
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Converting it to mp4 is not that quick. The REC file is actually a sort of MPEG (mp2) file, so you could just try renaming it to an .mpg and see if the TV plays it.

If not, there's a program around (REC2MPG) that will convert REC files to MPG files in a second or two by rewriting the header, so the process is lossless. It's dead easy to run it on a directory of files. Thread here: viewtopic.php?p=138984. I'm not sure if the links there will still work - if not I'm sure I've still got a copy of the download (somewhere...)
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

I only suggested mp4 because most tv's will play that format. A lot of older tv's are fairly limited in the file formats they will recognise/play . My Samsung won't see or play .rec or .rec renamed to mpg, even using rec2mpg :wink:
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Apologies - I thought REC2MPG made it a "normal" MPEG2 file which anything could play :roll: As MPEG2 is an older standard, I assumed that any media player of whatever age could play it. Oh well...
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

AFAIK it just rewrites the header, doesn't change the coding. It may well work on some TV's but it doesn't on my 10 year old Samsung (UE37D6530)
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

YorkshireJumbo wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am Apologies - I thought REC2MPG made it a "normal" MPEG2 file which anything could play :roll: As MPEG2 is an older standard, I assumed that any media player of whatever age could play it. Oh well...
What about renaming it to .ts (transport stream), and if that doesn't work renaming to .ts after removing the Topfield header? (renaming xyz.rec to xyz.ts)

Various methods of removing the Toppy header are discussed in
viewtopic.php?p=89725#89725
which links to
viewtopic.php?p=194344#194344
a pc based program creating a .ts file

This has been used by people migrating from a Toppy to other boxes and where recording have been transferred.

The only gotcha is that I don't know if the links to any of the software in the above two threads still works as they are both 13 years old and many people and personal web sites have moved on.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I used viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21112 to convert toppy files to .ts (plus all the enigma2/ViX trimmings.)

Link to download here..... https://jlawson.co.uk/downloads/downloa ... st-version
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx