For discussion of how to use, install and choose TAPs - additional software packages that run on your Toppy

Moderator: Technical

andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

chunkywizard wrote:you make an .ibl logo transparent by using RGB 0,0,0. Therefore they can be designed transparent or not.
Ah - are you saying that 0:0:0 is always transparent, CW? So if I produce a logo for UK Timers which includes black and then convert it to an ibl, the black will be transparent? Sounds as though I should use use 1:1:1 instead - yes/no?
André Coutanche
chunkywizard
MyStuff Team

Post by chunkywizard »

yep, that's right, 0,0,0 is always transparent. I used to use 8,8,8 for black.

CW
Toppy:TF5800 F/W: 1365PaTcHeD
TAPs: MyStuff | EPG2MEI | FontManager | SecCache UK | Extend | FastScanGUI | EIT_sub_game | MyInfo | ScreenCapture with OSD | MHEG On/Off
MyStuff Manual & Logos | Known Bugs | Recommended F/W
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

OK - thanks for that. I've used 0:0:0 in my logos for Setanta and Virgin Radio, though I think they may be just my versions and not widely used (no-one's mentioned a problem, at any rate). I'll rejig them anyway and avoid 0:0:0 in future.
André Coutanche
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

Well, I've uploaded revised versions of my logos for Virgin Radio and Setanta Sports, with the 0:0:0 black replaced by 1:1:1 (I've changed the UK Timers GIF versions as well as the ibls to keep things consistent).

However, I doubt that this was actually necessary, since I note that Happy's IBLView program offers the option of setting transparency when converting from .bmp to .ibl - I don't think the 0:0:0 is automatically transparent. Certainly, there's no transparency with the earlier versions of these two logos on my Toppy in Filer2 - but perhaps Improbox users were seeing it?
André Coutanche
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

Nic (shinyford) recently posted in the Logo packs thread about the new BBC radio logos which are, shall we say, emerging at the moment.

As has been noted, the new logos haven't actually appeared yet in the two most 'official' places one would expect them: the websites for each of the BBC radio networks, and in the MHEG stream which generates the logo screen when one is 'watching' a radio channel on the Toppy.

That got me thinking: is it possible to capture that MHEG stream and extract a logo - or anything else for that matter - from it?
André Coutanche
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

And while radio logos are on my mind, I was flipping through the radio channels on the Toppy and realised that I didn't have a logo for Smooth Radio on LCN 718. It used to be Smooth FM, and I don't know when it changed or whether a logo has appeared elsewhere, but I've done one for my own use and uploaded it to my webspace at www.andrec.org.uk.

Here's the GIF for UK Timers etc.

And here's the ibl version for Filer 2 etc.

[Edited to reflect change in webspace]
Last edited by andrec on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
André Coutanche
chunkywizard
MyStuff Team

Post by chunkywizard »

andrec wrote:That got me thinking: is it possible to capture that MHEG stream and extract a logo - or anything else for that matter - from it?
No Problem, just grab it with ScreenCapture.

CW
TAPs: MyStuff | EPG2MEI | FontManager | SecCache UK | Extend | FastScanGUI | EIT_sub_game | MyInfo | ScreenCapture with OSD | MHEG On/Off
chunkywizard
MyStuff Team

Post by chunkywizard »

andrec wrote:And while radio logos are on my mind, I was flipping through the radio channels on the Toppy and realised that I didn't have a logo for Smooth Radio on LCN 718. It used to be Smooth FM, and I don't know when it changed or whether a logo has appeared elsewhere, but I've done one for my own use and uploaded it to my webspace at www.andrec.plus.com.

Here's the GIF for UK Timers etc.

And here's the ibl version for Filer 2 etc.
Is the channel name really all upper case?

CW
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

chunkywizard wrote:Is the channel name really all upper case?
Yep. The logos I post are always tried and tested :wink:.

And thanks for the tip about ScreenCapture - that could be handy!
André Coutanche
chunkywizard
MyStuff Team

Post by chunkywizard »

That's great! If you need any captures done, just shout.

CW
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

The new BBC radio logos seem to be slowly emerging. On the BBC's website, the Radio 1 page now has the new version, as does Fivelive (which we should now call Radio 5 live?) and Fivelive sports extra. The other networks are still using the old/current versions. The website of DesignWeek has a good graphic of them all, though some (maybe all) also appear 'reversed out', on a coloured background. I've made some provisional logos, but I prefer to wait and see what appears on the MHEG screens.

While logos are on my mind, I noticed that - on my Toppy at least - the logo for the Community Channel seems to very old, and nothing like what appears on screen. Perhaps this has already been picked up in recent logo packs, but I've made up-to-date ones for myself and anyone else who wants them:

http://sites.google.com/site/andrecsite ... munity.ibl for the ibl version.

[Edit] Not sure why, but the logos I posted yesterday had a slight blue cast to the background. Now changed. [/Edit]

Last edited by andrec on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
André Coutanche
andrec
Frequent contributor

Channel 4+1

Post by andrec »

Channel 4+1 started today, taking over LCN13 and precipitating a mini-EPG shuffle for its sister channels.

Here's the 60x38 'UK Timers' version:

And the ibl version for Filer et al is here.

Last edited by andrec on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
André Coutanche
andyrogers
Frequent contributor

Post by andyrogers »

And don't forget the new CBBC logo

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
andrec
Frequent contributor

Post by andrec »

andyrogers wrote:And don't forget the new CBBC logo
Thanks for that. It's not a channel that looms large on my radar :wink:.

OK, here's the 60x38 GIF:

And here's the ibl version.

Last edited by andrec on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
André Coutanche
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Andre, thanks for the latest logos. Can I suggest that for "thickos" like me you add a label next to the GIFs (similar to the .ibl) to indicate that the "GIFs are the real UK Logos GIFs". For a few minutes, having read the first few lines, I kept on wondering where the GIFs were :roll: