For discussion of how to use, install and choose TAPs - additional software packages that run on your Toppy

Moderator: Technical

hogettyhog
Frequent contributor

Post by hogettyhog »

hogettyhog wrote:I wonder whether anyone else has noticed the following bug with Improbox. I've only noticed it since installing the latest firmware.

If you are chase-playing a recording and the recording finishes while you are watching it, Improbox puts up its 'recording finished' message box - but it gives the name of the wrong recording - rather than giving the name of the recording just finished it seems to give the name of the previous recording even if that recording actually finished many hours previously.

Example: I was chase-playing my recording of the Ryder Cup highlights last night. When the scheduled recording finished, improbox flashed up 'Blue planet - recording finished'.
This was a recording I had done earlier in the day and it had finished about 2pm.

In all other ways Improbox is working fine e.g. if you look at its recording information it doesn't think it is recording Blue Planet.

This bug is repeatable and has happened to me quite a bit recently.
Just a quick update on this - as suggested, I emailed Gerti about it and he is going to take a look and hopefully provide a fix. :D
5800 Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched) Taps in order in AutoStart: Latest versions of MyStuff, Eit2Mei, Description Extender, Remote Extender, Improbox, Jukebox, TapLauncher (MeiSearch), Font Manager, Accurate Bookmarking.
ichilton
Frequent contributor

Post by ichilton »

Hi,

There is a new version of Improbox on the home page (http://improbox.de/index_en.html).

I e-mailed the author and this is what he said has changed:
This version will not continue playback of recordings in timeshift, if the firmware is able to do it by itself. If both (firmware and
ImproBox) try to continue playback, playback starts but position is not changed to last position.
Also the SmartSkip is removed by some legal problems (the jumpmethod is licenced in germany) and was replaces by a version called
"EasySkip". EasySkip seems to me nearly same effective as the SmartSkip.
There is also some discussion about it here:
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6863

Ian
TF5800PVR 160GB (Silver) - Firmware v5.13.65 (CyDeFHMhPPcRReRpST2XpXw), Transmitter: Billsdale
Connected by: Linksys NSLU2 V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta.
Taps: MyStuff 5.62, eit2mei B7.8m3, TF5000 (LCD) Display v1.53, QuickJump v1.69
ichilton
Frequent contributor

Post by ichilton »

Hi,

ImproBox 2.1RC11 is now out, and it looks like SmartSkip/EasySkip has been removed :(

Ian
TF5800PVR 160GB (Silver) - Firmware v5.13.65 (CyDeFHMhPPcRReRpST2XpXw), Transmitter: Billsdale
Connected by: Linksys NSLU2 V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta.
Taps: MyStuff 5.62, eit2mei B7.8m3, TF5000 (LCD) Display v1.53, QuickJump v1.69
Sigittarius-E
Regular contributor

Post by Sigittarius-E »

ichilton wrote:Hi,

ImproBox 2.1RC11 is now out, and it looks like SmartSkip/EasySkip has been removed :(

Ian
correct.

reason is the same as flechumer discussed in the Smartskipper thread (software patent)
Sigittarius-E

my own TAPs: TSBProtector, CheckAndCreateTimer, SimpleCharEditor, SetCryptFlag, ToggleRecHeader, ExportBookmark
Rich
Frequent contributor

Post by Rich »

Just spotted that theres a new version out of improbox on the German forums
Google translation of the webpage

download link
http://www.improbox.de/improbox22.zip

Google translation of the features:
2.2 (22.04.2007)
- Announcement of the free storage location can be deactivated now perfectly. In this case the display format is durably indicated.
- Position of the display format announcement with large character font corrects
- Easy changes in the QT-Style, so that the rounded off Logos in the Quicktimer Design can be used.

2.1RC16 (14.04.2007)
- Announcement of the display format now also again without WSS killers
- Repair function for photographs functions now also with photographs of the Kabelreceiver
- WSS killer control changed over to TAPCOM
- TAPCOM control of ImproBox integrates

2.1RC15e (08.03.2007)
- Kanalwahl over ImproBox in the radio mode should function again
disk : samsung spinpoint 400GB
firmware 5.13.65
Taps:
UK timers v1.2, UK Oz Surfer v0.11d, RadTV 0.2, Power restore V0.7.3, EPG Navigator+UK autoscheduler Tap Comander v1.0.1, TF5000 Display V1.39, Description extend 2.1, Improbox V2.1 RC15c
Klaus
Regular contributor

Post by Klaus »

Rich wrote: 2.2 (22.04.2007)
- Announcement of the free storage location can be deactivated now perfectly. In this case the display format is durably indicated.
Since I am the guy who suggested this feature to Gerti :D let me explain briefly what it does:

In the settings the option "show remaining disc storage" has now four possible values:
- in GB
- in MB
- in time
- none

If you choose one of the first three values, Improbox will display the format (4:3/16:9) only very briefly and afterwards it will show the remaining disc storage. To see the format a second time, you'll need to close and reopen ImproBox.

If you choose the 4th option ("none"), ImproBox will show permanently the format (4:3/16:9).
Hardware: Topfield 5200PVRc
TAPs in Autostart: QuickTimer, MediaManager, ImproBox, Bitrate, PIP
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Does anyone know what references to TAPCOM is all about over on teh German forum? How does it affect end-users?
janilxx
Frequent contributor

Post by janilxx »

jumbo wrote:Does anyone know what references to TAPCOM is all about over on teh German forum? How does it affect end-users?
TAPCOM is a library allowing TAPs to dicsuss with other TAPs. E.g. Improbox allows now other TAPs to close or was it suspend itself.

TAPCOM is nowadays part of the FireBirdLib:
http://www.tapworld.net/content/view/399/47/
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

So from a user's point of view: What can I do in a TAPCOM friendly TAP?
janilxx
Frequent contributor

Post by janilxx »

jumbo wrote:So from a user's point of view: What can I do in a TAPCOM friendly TAP?
Try this:
http://www.topfield-europe.com/forum/sh ... php?t=8918
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Thanks for the links Jani but I am none the wiser as to what the hell ths TAPCOM does/means/changes for the user!

If anyone does please enlighten us mere mortals.
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

It's just a way for TAPs to pass messages to each other, so for example 3PG can tell WSS killer to go into 16:9 mode.
msteggalls
Frequent contributor

Post by msteggalls »

How about this......I think what TAPCOM is, is a library of functions that TAP writers can use, where by the TAPs that contain this library can communicate with each other, so one TAP can call/close/interact with another TAP?????? If so, then TAPCOM itself doesn't really effect the end user directly......
Model: TF5800 Silver; Disk: Samsung 300gb ; Firmware: 5.13.65 Patched; Purchased: 15-Apr-2005;
Autostart TAPs: Improbox (2.5) TF5000 Display (1.53a); Description Extender (2.23); Filer (2.21RC3); Extend (1.7); stirf (1.3Cbeta); EPGnavigator (6.10); UK Auto Scheduler (0.73)
TV: Panasonic TX-L37V20B LCD; Remote: Samsung Note 10.1 running Touchsquid
Updated 26Oct14
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Thank you all for the explanations and please accept my apologies for being a bit dense today (and yesterday and ...) :oops:
As a user
  • how do I observe the TAPCOM functionality?
  • What can I do with TAPCOM friendly TAPs that I could not do before? (apart from WSS...)
  • should I care about it?
  • should I get all hot and sweaty if a TAP I use is TAPCOMised?
  • should I congratulate myself for being techno-savvy and installing TAPCOM aware TAPs?
  • should I stop asking stupid questions (no don't answer that one)
[BTW I don't use WSS...]
janilxx
Frequent contributor

Post by janilxx »

jumbo wrote: As a user
  • how do I observe the TAPCOM functionality?
If I would be you I wouldn't care at all about TAPCOM. TAPs have features that does something automatically or by request from user. If that feature happens to ask another TAP to do something, don't care about it. E.g. if TAP A happens to ask WSSkiller to change into 16:9 or suspend ImproBox for a while, so what.