For discussion of how to use, install and choose TAPs - additional software packages that run on your Toppy

Moderator: Technical

Stonecreek

TAPs for data recovery/protection?

Post by Stonecreek »

Are there any TAPs for data recovery or data protection?
If you've been on the Computer Connections board, you might have seen my short struggle with data recovery from a corrupt Toppy disk.
While the recovery hasn't worked out too well, the disk is now in working order and the rest of the recovery process can be handled using .dd images instead.
I'd like to take steps to prevent this debacle from happening again, and it could be that a TAP exists out there which can help me with that.
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

There aren't any recovery taps or other, generally, available recovery tools.
This means that, if recordings are important, they need to be copied files back to a pc

I have written an fsSave tap which saves an encoded version of the file structures each time the toppy boots. The only thing that can process these files is my TDM program so this is not worth installing because you wouldn't want to send me the disk.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

I manually run a CMD script on a laptop connected to the Toppy, which backs up settings and recordings to a portable disk using Antares. It needs me to check the drive regularly and delete watched recordings I don't want to keep them
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer