For discussion of how to use, install and choose TAPs - additional software packages that run on your Toppy

Moderator: Technical

silver
Regular contributor

Post by silver »

Hi there,

I had a couple of problems (detailed here) which may be useful to know.

In short, with the v0.9 running, both InfoViewer (1.3) and Filer (2.10) show ...'s which make the text unreadable. Not sure whether this is an issue with those TAPs or Font Manager.

In addition, the text on Filer when viewing folders looks a little odd. The font seems to change as you move the highlight bar.

I would test with a later version of Infoviewer, but the latest version doesn't appear when I press the "i" button - so I had to resort back to an early version. YYMV.
bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

That's strange. A screenshot would be interesting to see.

Version 0.9 of FM does not draw any ...s (unless it is part of the string it is given). Have you tried turning on the 'Hook TAP_Osd_PutString' option?

If the font is changing as you move the highlight this must be due to the way the TAP is handling the graphics. As discussed before the TAP may try to 'enhance' the font in some way, but this is a guess...
General: FW 5.13.65 Patched, Pioneer DVR-530H-S, Harmony 885.
TAPs: Font Manager, Media Manager, Super PiP, MyStuff, EPG2MEI, mei2archive, QuickJump

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
glenmcfar
Frequent contributor

Post by glenmcfar »

bellissimo - have you noticed that turning on 'Hook...blah blah..' breaks your settings screen! Perhaps adding a tag ('White key') would help.

Glen.
H/W: TF5800 | URC-7555 | Asus | Best Firmware Ever!
A/S: SecCacheUK, EitSub, EPG2MEI, Display, Extend, QuickJump, FontManager, TapLauncher, MyStuff
T/L: TapCommander, Surfer, MeiSearch, MediaManager | HDFW, CutAds, Sudoku
bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

Yep, thats why its optional :).

Some TAPs use this function to access graphics in the firmware as well as draw text. FM obviously knows whether the flag is set so could cope with it as you suggest, but other TAPs (e.g. Media Manager) would still have missing graphics.
TAPs: Font Manager, Media Manager, Super PiP, MyStuff, EPG2MEI, mei2archive, QuickJump

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
Nimbus
Frequent contributor
Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...

Post by Nimbus »

Hi, just tried v 0.9 and switched on the 'Hook TAP_Osd_PutString' option.This works fine with Info Viewer 1.5 (niece Tahoma fonts now) and means I don't have to try and figure out why the latest version with Fontmanager support did not work right for me. I've not seen any ill effects with other TAP displays so far.

Just wanted to say thanks :)
5.13.65 Current Patches
WD20EARS 2TB - Tubosat SATA-IDE converter

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d
bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

New version Font Manager 1.0 RC1 is now available

Changes since 0.9
===============

* "..." for overly long text is now supported (thanks to shinyford who coded this).

If this proves to be stable, then I will make this version 1.0 final. Also note that the latest version of MyStuff (5.62) now has improved support for Font Manager and now has no truncated text (especially digits).

bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

New version Font Manager 1.0 RC2 is now available

Changes since 1.0 RC1
=================

* Support for 5810

Many thanks to aramil for his testing to help get this working.

bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

1.0 Final has been uploaded. No changes apart from the version number.

danb77
Frequent contributor

Post by danb77 »

Hi Bellissimo,

I have found a strange interaction between MyStuff, MHEG and FontManager which seems to be the cause of crashes I have been having.

I found that repeatedly pressing record (bringing up the MyStuff Instant Record dialog), then exit, record then exit, and repeating many times, could usually trigger a crash when I was tuned to BBC News24.

If I deactivate MHEG, I do not get these crashes, if I unload Font Manager I do not get crashes either.

As the crash occurs the MS dialog box appears but instead of the expected text, there is just one line of random garbled characters and symbols (such as squares!).

For the moment, I have disabled FontManager, but I miss it!
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 13.65AbBfBmBqC0CeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsEvFFlFmFsGmHHeIKtMMhNfOtPPcPePfPsRRaReRhRpRsSScSdSlSrStSyT2TaTdTeTfTpTsUUuUxVrWfXpXwZXl
TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
glenmcfar
Frequent contributor

Post by glenmcfar »

So far you have blamed font manager, mheg, mystuff and various patches, and no-one else can recreate it. Can't you just stop repeatedly pressing these buttons?
H/W: TF5800 | URC-7555 | Asus | Best Firmware Ever!
A/S: SecCacheUK, EitSub, EPG2MEI, Display, Extend, QuickJump, FontManager, TapLauncher, MyStuff
T/L: TapCommander, Surfer, MeiSearch, MediaManager | HDFW, CutAds, Sudoku
danb77
Frequent contributor

Post by danb77 »

glenmcfar wrote:So far you have blamed font manager, mheg, mystuff and various patches, and no-one else can recreate it. Can't you just stop repeatedly pressing these buttons?
Glen, My purpose is not to irritate people (though I apologise for reporting the issue before I had narrowed down properly what was going on)!

Bugs like these are usually indications of some underlying potentially serious problem. In particularly bugs which lead to crashes need to be squished!

The key repetitions are merely to reproduce the bug so that it can be stamped out!

I had been experiencing random reboots for a while but had not been able to reproduce them to report...
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 13.65AbBfBmBqC0CeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsEvFFlFmFsGmHHeIKtMMhNfOtPPcPePfPsRRaReRhRpRsSScSdSlSrStSyT2TaTdTeTfTpTsUUuUxVrWfXpXwZXl
TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

glenmcfar wrote:So far you have blamed font manager, mheg, mystuff and various patches, and no-one else can recreate it. Can't you just stop repeatedly pressing these buttons?
You can't possibly be working in either software support or software testing (or public relations :wink: ): Seemingly "stupid" and "random" actions (such as that reported by dan77) are one of the most effective methods of detecting elusive bugs. If "no-one else can recreate it" they're simply not trying hard enough :roll: It seems dan's the man that's pressing all the right buttons 8)
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

jumbo wrote:If "no-one else can recreate it" they're simply not trying hard enough :roll:
I await your complete and diligent bug report. :)
bellissimo
Frequent contributor

Post by bellissimo »

danb77,

I would say that MHEG and FontManager should have absolutely no interaction. However it is possible that a set of circumstances may lead to FontManager receiving some duff data which leads to a crash.

So I doubt FontManagar is the actual cause of your problem, although this is impossible for me to say with any certainty. I certainly would not get rid of FontManager on this evidence. In normal operation it seems to be pretty rock solid.

danb77
Frequent contributor

Post by danb77 »

jumbo wrote:You can't possibly be working in either software support or software testing (or public relations :wink: ):
Haha, no I'm not. But past experience on these forums has been that almost every bug I have found and reported has been squished by BobD or SimonC almost immediately, in spite of my slightly less than systematic approaches to testing!

The only reason I have made such a fuss about this one is that in almost all circumstances the Toppy (with .65 firmware, MS 6.52a and R2D2 and SimonC's patches) is rock solid. I would like to converge to 100% solidity, but maybe that is wishful thinking....