General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

jorly
Frequent contributor

Menu only on startup

Post by jorly »

So this afternoon when turned toppy on can’t get anything but the menu page, tried installation option but got nowhere is it deaded? had such a lot of unwatched stuff on it boo can anything be done? Thanks in advance
TF5800t, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -Ab+CwDeOtSlTdXl
TAPs: Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyInfo B5.6; (MyStuff 6.6); (Channel Organiser B2.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 26/9/15
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Sounds like you have lost the channels and the toppy is locking you into the system menus before it will let you proceed i.e. you need to scan for channels.

You may also have a corrupt file system; try connecting via Antares to see if you still have recordings on the disk.
If the recordings look ok, try doing a manual scan for a single mux from your transmitter (which one are you using?) - this will let you in to the toppy. You can then use the Channel Organiser tap to perform a full scan.
Alternatively, if you use TopManager then you can use the PcControl interface to scan for channels. Stick with CO if that is what you are familiar with.

Should the need arise, I can recover recordings on a corrupted toppy disk (you would need to send the disk to me - with carriage it should cost you around £15).

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
jorly
Frequent contributor

Post by jorly »

well I tried to rescan and it wouldn't do anything those two bars showing level and quality one showed about 50% and the other showed nothing I imagine the tuners have given up. I then put the hard disk in another old toppy but after quite a while I remembered the usb port that connects to pc is not good so it's stuck on the basic os. I might if I feel like it swap the hard disk back to original toppy and see if I can connect to my pc just curious is swapping tuners doable? tia
TAPs: Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyInfo B5.6; (MyStuff 6.6); (Channel Organiser B2.1);
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Have you ever had all the capacitors changed on either of these toppies?

If not, then that is probably your problem (the power supply unit is failing).

I believe swapping tuners is not possible but you could swap the power supply boards if they are the same and one has had all the capacitors changed. (contact andyfras for advice - he can supply a kit, a board swap or do it for you).

If you think it is the capacitors then I suggest you don't try using it at all until the PSU is repaired (at this point the disk might not be corrupted, trying to use it might corrupt and/or damage the hardware)

If the psu has been repaired then yes, try connecting via Antares.

Geoff

One last thing you could check is that the aerial to the toppy is ok - we have had a lot of rain recently and you could have water in the lead from the roof and/or a poor signal.
If you have a TV lead in another room; try doing a scan on the problem toppy there (don't put the disk in). Then repeat using your other toppy on the same lead. Hopefully, this would tell you whether it is toppy or aerial related.
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

jorly wrote:well I tried to rescan and it wouldn't do anything those two bars showing level and quality one showed about 50% and the other showed nothing I imagine the tuners have given up. I then put the hard disk in another old toppy but after quite a while I remembered the usb port that connects to pc is not good so it's stuck on the basic os. I might if I feel like it swap the hard disk back to original toppy and see if I can connect to my pc just curious is swapping tuners doable? tia
Often as a result of the capacitors failing in the power supply. Usually when the 5V rail goes low the other power supply voltges go high and if left go even higher until a transistor associated with the tuners pops. Both these faults are well known and repairable.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
jorly
Frequent contributor

Post by jorly »

thanks for replies I know the aerial is good as it feeds into a Humax before the telly and the signal is fine according to Humax, I really like the the EPG of toppy, everybody says so, so maybe I'll contact Andy Fras if he's talking to me, seems the best bet thanks
?
jorly
Frequent contributor

Post by jorly »

Yay well somehow I’ve cobbled together a working toppy out of three, all recordings on hard disk are still there, mystuff working nicely which I realise must be stored on hard disk just used channel organiser very happy till next time I suppose
?
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

jorly wrote:...maybe I'll contact Andy Fras if he's talking to me...
Why wouldn't I be?
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
jorly
Frequent contributor

Post by jorly »

andyfras wrote:
jorly wrote:...maybe I'll contact Andy Fras if he's talking to me...
Why wouldn't I be?
I thought we had got wires crossed at some stage anyway I’ve now got two working toppys’ as I didn’t reset factory data? and everything is working tikitiboo it is rather strange that I’m still learning and working on such old technology, but the epg is worth it it is sans pareil thanks for interest
?