General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

ccs wrote: Not everyone likes them, but once set up you can leave well alone, unless you like "tinkering", like me.
There were people who didn't want Mystuff on a Toppy because it was too complicated. :)
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
Salopian
Frequent contributor

Post by Salopian »

MyStuff is the standard that I judge all others by. Still it is usually better than any modern offering. The main thing is that it was enhanced by the feedback of ebthuseastic users. This means that it does just about everthing nerds want. :-)
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+ScWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.6; Super PiP 1.1b; (Deselect v1.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/2/14
?
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

Salopian wrote:MyStuff is the standard that I judge all others by. Still it is usually better than any modern offering. The main thing is that it was enhanced by the feedback of enthusiastic users. This means that it does just about everthing nerds want. :-)
I quite agree, it's the standard I (and probably more importantly, my wife) judge other boxes by, so far nothing else has even come close. :cry:
The T3-R is looking increasingly interesting ! Seems like the interface does have some striking similarities to MyStuff, if that's not coincidence then the only surprise to me is that it's taken a box manufacturer so long to cotton on to how good MyStuff is :)
Last edited by jimi on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 16/12/20
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

On a quick look, that Humax box looks pretty decent and there's an option for a larger HDD in it too. If I was looking now for a plug it in and use it (rather than plug it in and immediately want to break out a code editor and start to tweak things) then it'd be between these 2. Chromecast built in is handy on the Humax, although the benefit of Android apps on your TV is less clear, other than helping avoid the digital decay that plagues the proprietary app systems you find on TVs. Both boxes have slicker looking user interfaces than my Enigma box, and the integration with iPlayer in the EPG, for example, is something you aren't going to get as easily on Enigma.
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

simonc wrote:On a quick look, that Humax box looks pretty decent and there's an option for a larger HDD in it too. If I was looking now for a plug it in and use it (rather than plug it in and immediately want to break out a code editor and start to tweak things) then it'd be between these 2. Chromecast built in is handy on the Humax, although the benefit of Android apps on your TV is less clear, other than helping avoid the digital decay that plagues the proprietary app systems you find on TVs. Both boxes have slicker looking user interfaces than my Enigma box, and the integration with iPlayer in the EPG, for example, is something you aren't going to get as easily on Enigma.
I've found the problem in the past that an andriod interface is more suited to a touch screen on a phone or laptop rather than on a TV where a remote has to be used.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

Yes, I tried Android on a virtual machine on a PC, it was an odd experience. If you can pair with a gaming controller, like the you can with the Google TV Chromecast, then that can help. I quite liked the idea of popping a few console emulators on it, but with a plasma TV, that's not going to be a good idea!