General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

macmac
Frequent contributor

Previous recording disappeared & no Mystuff info display

Post by macmac »

Issue with my 5800:

Aside:
Yesterday, I noticed that our TV reception on most channels except (eg: BBC1 & 2)
had sever picture & sound drop-out, this seems to happen about this time most years.
In the analog days this resulted in weak picture reception and foreign channels breaking though,
commonly caused by atmospheric conditions.

While this was happening, I was checking the different channels on this PVR, and a program was recording (and being affected).

Then suddenly the PVR rebooted:
This happens from time to time, especially when I've paused and then resumed a program I'm watching.

But on this occasion the reboot was quite quick,
and I got a popup selection box saying: Format Drive? Yes/No
I selected: No

Then the PVR appeared to function normally except:
a: All of my previous recording have disappeared, there's nothing listed.
b: Only the proprietary EPG & program info screens appear.

So:
c: Have I lost all of my previous recording ? Can I get them back ?
d: How do I get the Mystuff program back ?

Many thanks
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.4; PcControl B1.3; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/11/14 ++ 1TB HDD Upgrade
?
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

You'll have to wait for Geoff Bacon to respond.

Switch the box off until he does.

Poor reception can wipe disc drives, it's been happening since day 1, unfortunately.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Hi

Your description implies that the toppy's file system disk has been corrupted. This is typically due to a poor quality signal (which is what you have). My guess is that the data packets are corrupted is that the toppy is believing the length stored in the packet rather than the length of the buffer it has allocated for the data. Consequently, the buffer overflows corrupting the memory after the buffer.

The good news is that I can recover the data on your disk and most of it will be fine (a couple of recordings may be lost by any subsequent recordings and/or time shifting. I will pm you with details.

Have all the capacitors on your toppy been replaced ? - this is another potential cause of a wipe (although your's sound signal related). If they haven't been replaced then you should contact andyfras for details of his repair service.

While I'm repairing the disk, it would be a good idea to check out the aerial and leads (water in them?) to eliminate that as the cause of a poor signal.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

@macmac - The PruneEPG tap would probably have helped avoid a total wipe-out, but your signature suggests you're not running it.
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
ccsx
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Thnaks Geoff & ccs for your replies.
Geoff Bacon wrote:Hi ...Your description implies that the toppy's file system disk has been corrupted.
Geoff
Yes it seems so, I connected the toppy to my PC via its USB socket,
but it wouldn't connect, instead I got this message:

So I was thinking of temporarily installing a different drive, and dealing with the corrupted drive later.
But as the current 'ProgramFiles' folder, on the current drive, is probably faulty, it probably wouldn't be advisable to copy that to the new drive, as that would put me in the same situation as I am now.

So where do I get a good copy the 'ProgramFiles' folder from, that I can copy to the new HDD via my PC?

NB: I have a snapshot from when I upgraded to the current larger HDD, but that was 5 years ago, would that be any good, or out of date?
ccs wrote:The PruneEPG tap would probably have helped avoid a total wipe-out, but your signature suggests you're not running it.
OK I'll bear that in mind when I've got it back to normal.
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.4; PcControl B1.3; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
?
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

The snapshot of Programfiles should be fine - just make sure MyStuff.tap in autostart was not created before October 2014. If it was then it won't be the latest MyStuff 6.6

If you do need to update MyStuff, all you'd need to do is copy over the latest version of the tap (if you've got one).
ccsx
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

ccs wrote:The snapshot of Programfiles should be fine - just make sure MyStuff.tap in autostart was not created before October 2014. If it was then it won't be the latest MyStuff 6.6

If you do need to update MyStuff, all you'd need to do is copy over the latest version of the tap (if you've got one).
Thanks css,
So you mean I should use my 5yr old snapshot?
?
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

It won't do any harm copying it onto a different disc. Format the disc on the toppy, and copy via usb (Antares/TopManager)

MyStuff will get a bit confused, don't restore backups if it wants to, and then wait for the epg to populate.

Once you've got a copy of Programfiles tucked safely away, you'll never need to reinstall MyStuff ever again.
ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

You could use TM to reinstate the old snapshot - this will give you a basic system.
However, I would then use my GCBMyStuffInstaller to put the latest software files on the disk.

I suspect you don't have any recordings to transfer - if you do, use TopfHDRW to copy them between the disks (toppy disk to PC to new toppy disk).

Assuming the old toppy disk is physically sound, I can recover the files and return it the following day.

Your choice.

Geoff
TopManager program
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

.... yes, I'd forgotten about the ChannelOrganiser data files.

http://www.geeceebee.co.uk/channelorganiserdatafiles
ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

The GCBMyStuffinstaller will provide the channelorganiser and logos files. It will also prove PruneEPG

Geoff
TopManager program
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

ccs wrote:.... yes, I'd forgotten about the ChannelOrganiser data files.
http://www.geeceebee.co.uk/channelorganiserdatafiles
Geoff Bacon wrote:The GCBMyStuffinstaller will provide the channelorganiser and logos files. It will also prove PruneEPG
Geoff
Many thanks guys.
So can I just recap and confirm I've understand the correct procedure.

a: put the new HDD in toppy
b: boot toppy and allow it to format the HDD
c: remove HDD from toppy
d: but HDD in PC caddy
e: use TM to copy across my old snapshot to the toppy
f: use GCBMyStuffInstaller to put the latest software files on the HDD

So..
Q1: where do I get the 'latest software files' from?
Q2: and what are they called?
Q3: where do I get the GCBMyStuffInstaller from?
Q4: and how do I use GCBMyStuffInstaller, eg:
should the HDD be in the toppy or the PC caddy?

Q5: I've found a copy of file MyStuff.tap dated: 09/10/14
which I assume would be OK...
but if I do step (f) eg: install the latest software files,
then I assume I wouldn't need to bother with that file?
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

a: put the new HDD in toppy
e: use TM| Snapshot | Recover to copy across the old snapshot to the disk (still in the toppy)
f: use GCBMyStuffInstaller to put the latest software files on the HDD (still in the toppy)

GCBMyStuffInstaller can be downloaded from my site (see link in my signature)
This provides everything you need (you probably don't even need to bother recovering the Snapshot - about the only thing that might give you is the options that you had 4/5 years ago for MyStuff).

Geoff
TopManager program
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Geoff Bacon wrote:a: put the new HDD in toppy
e: use TM| Snapshot | Recover to copy across the old snapshot to the disk (still in the toppy)
f: use GCBMyStuffInstaller to put the latest software files on the HDD (still in the toppy)

GCBMyStuffInstaller can be downloaded from my site (see link in my signature)
This provides everything you need (you probably don't even need to bother recovering the Snapshot - about the only thing that might give you is the options that you had 4/5 years ago for MyStuff).
Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Many thanks for your info & continued support.

So I did (a & b) and fitted this HDD:
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" 7200RPM 256MB Cache

Then I did (e):
I got this popup:
The file in the snapshot does not match that originally saved.
ProgramFiles\Settings\Mystuff\Mystuff_Searches.dat.201410312202

There were a large number of these files, and as I was not sure what to do, I clicked [Copy All]
and finally it said: 1478 files successfully restored

Then it said:
You probably need to run the TapCommander to ensure that Taps are started in the correct order
(at least one Tap was restored to the ProgramFiles\Auto Start folder)

Q1: So how do I run the TapCommander?

Then I did (f):
I downloaded your GCBMyStuffInstaller and unzipped and ran it.
I selected:
Option 1 / Detailed Log of Toppy operations / Freeview.dat (as I'm not in Scotland)

6:4 Asked if I wanted to delete the many backup files,
but said it would take ages, & I could delete them manually later,
so I said: NO

Q2: So how do I delete them manually?

Eventually is said I needed to reboot:
So I did, it rebooted many, many times, but eventually stopped,
so I left it on so that it could repopulated the EPG.

I made some successful test recording.
But after a few days, I notice the following issues:

a: Sometimes when I switch-on the PVR, it still rebooted many times, before it eventually stops.

Q3: So how do I cure this?

b: Some programs have missing programs, especially in the earlier hours.
the last time I had this problem I had to manually change some times in a file,
that was restricting the hours to display program listing info.

Q4: So what files should I edit?

Many thanks.
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

You can probably stop the toppy rebooting at startup by running TM and using the PcControl option (I'm guessing that PcControl is not starting up before EPG2MEI and this option should reorder the files so that it does). Note: you don't have to do anything else in PcControl - just "Show the Menus".

I was surprised to see you had 6.4 backups as the installer only asks this question if it detects that they exist; these must have been in your old snapshot.
You can delete them from the \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff folder using Antares and/ or TM Browse.

You don't need to edit any tap .ini files as broadcast times are stored in the Freeview.dat provided by the installer. Basically, when you rescan using the Channel Organiser (or TM| PcControl| Channel Management) , this file will be used to rewrite the files used by the other taps (e.g. EPG2MEI and Extend)

So your options are that you do the steps outlined above or you just go for a virgin installation by using the remote to format the disk followed by reinstalling
GCBMyStuffInstaller (you don't need to download it again).
Note: While reformatting will lose the MyStuff settings and your past recording history (if needed, you could copy these back on after reinstalling), it does put you back to a clean, known condition.

Either way, I suggest you do a rescan to ensure the tap .ini files are reconfigured.

Once you have it configured as you think it should be, please post your MyInfo Log file and use the TM |Tools |Update Forum Profile option to update your signature.

Geoff
TopManager program