General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

ccs
Frequent contributor

Re: Recommend dual freeview tuner E2 pvr please?

Post by ccs »

.... deleted
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Re: Recommend dual freeview tuner E2 pvr please?

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote:
albertd wrote:
goodolpete wrote:Thanks for all your replies. As my toppy has “moments� now and then,
and I’m upgrading the TV, I’m researching updating my PVR. I’ve scoured
World Of Sattelite, but can’t see any with dual FreeView tuners. Does
anyone know of a model still on sale?
The choice today seems to be between the Humax FVP 5000T (3 tuners) and the Manhatten T3-R (2 tuners). I believe there may also be a Panasonic.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I got a tax rebate, so decided to buy a zgemma h7c, with two t2 and one
sat tuners. At the moment I’m having trouble making it work, as there seems
to be a known problem of the box being choosy which usb sticks it sees,
to load updates, skins, etc.
Also swimbo, after years of having the almost perfect MyStuff program
pause, FF, go back an hour thro the buffer to see the news you missed,
Is “irked�, to say the least, that it doesn’t seem as good in Enigma2.
Assuming that you are using OpenVix on your box....

What you may find with your new box once you have gone through the learning curve the box coupled with Openvix does pratically all that Mystuff did plus a lot more.

There are 3 ways to upgrade the software (image)

i) Download the image to your PC, unzip it and use a USB stick. The stick may have to be 8G or less but this may be a windows limitation for formatting.

ii) Select from the box’s menu "software update". If you box is connected to your home network the box will tell you that there is an update and if you wish to install it will be automatically downloaded from the Internet and installed.

Iii) In the Vix menu section there is an option to backup your image and download and flash a new image. Again this is done via your home network connected to the internet. You select the new image and are given a choice about which image to download. Once downloaded to your box directly from the internet you have an option to flash that image. Also in the Vix menu section is an option to back up your settings so when "flashing" a new image you can restore all the settings with a couple of clicks on the remote.

I would recommend not worrying about the first option or woorrying about any problems with the size of a USB stick to achieve this method of upgrade. You can either connect a large USB stick to your box or use an external USB hard drive. You also have the option of connecting a large micro SD card. I assume you have a large(ish) [1TB] USB hard drive connected.

Timeshift: There is two ways of operating this asuuming that you have a hard drive, large USB stick or SD card connected. The location of the timeshift buffer can be configured in the menus.

I) You press pause and the timeshift buffer gets activated at this time. In this mode you can only go back to the time when you first paused the program.

ii) Go into the timeshift and record section of the menu and configure the timeshift buffer to be enabled all the time, say 5 seconds after you change channel. This means that the timeshift is ALWAYS recording the current channel. Each time the channel is changed the buffer is cleared and it starts recording the current watched channel. From memory, exactly the same mode of operation as the Toppy/Mystuff. To operate the timeshift press pause and then you can go back the hour or so to see the missed news (assuming that is in the buffer). You can use fast rewind, fast forward or the jump back/forward keys to back or forwards through the buffer. When in timeshift or watching a recording the 1, 4 and 7 buttons on the remote jump back (different times for each button) and the 3, 6 and 9 buttons jump forward. The times are configurable in one of the menus although the default times are OK. I think the next and prev buttons on the Zgemma are also jump buttons when in timeshift or watching a recording. They jump between tags in the buffer. Tags will be the broadcast start and stop times of the program or any tags you may have introduced yourself – pressing prev once will get you to the start of the current program, then another press to the end of the previous program and another press to the start of the previous program.

Skins can be download and installed from the plug-in menu – again no need for a USB stick. I would recommend sticking with the default skin until you get used to the box.

If you need to download something else rom the Internet (not supported by any menu or plug-in menu option) to install on your box you also have a couple of options to transfer files to your box.

You can use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) using a program such as FileZilla on you computer. FTP should be enabled by default on your Zgemma box but if it isn’t just change the configuration in the Network/Utilities menu section on your Zgemma box.

Your box/OpenVix supports SAMBA, again in the Network/Utilities menu. When enabled you box and its hard disk should be seen in the Network section of Windows Explorer. This enables you to drag/drop or cut/paste files between your box and computer without having to resort to a USB stick.

One caveat: As with a Toppy its very very hard to completely brick a Enigma 2 box. You may want to purchase a, say, 4G USB stick just in case you do something really stupid. This will allow you to recover by re-installing an image by the download from the Internet and transfer to the box by USB stick method. Having said this I’ve managed maybe 50+ image updates on various boxes by just using the inbuilt over the internet straight to the box methods.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.
Do I need a line to receive FTA sky programs?
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+Wf
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/2/17
?
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote:Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.
Do I need a line to receive FTA sky programs?
No. Straight from a dish/LNB, down the cable into the box :)

First set up your satellite tuner for "simple" and the 28.2E Astra satellite(s)

Did you use AutoBouquetMaker (ABM) to scan for your Freeview channels? If so in the same providers list there is an option for Freesat and Sky UK (the FTA channels).
Freesat is the satellite equivalent of Freeview and will give you the free to air channels with an over the air 7 day EPG. The setting to collect the EPG is already set by default. The Sky FTA option will give you more free channels but you will have to jump through a few small hoops to collect the EPG for these "extra channels". Where the channels are common on Freesat and Sky UK FTA the Sky FTA EPG will get populated.

A video guide to set up Freesat in ABM is at

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/gui ... eo-guides/

The option for Sky UK (FTA) is just another option in the same menu.
Freesat and Sky use the same satellite(s)

The guide for setting up Freeview with ABM is also on the above web page

Note: you need a traditional LNB on the satellite dish to get ths to work. The LNBs for Sky Q will not work.

BTW: any talk of lines on the OpenVix forums will get your post immediately censored. No line talk is one of the terms and condiditions or forum rules that you will have signed up to if you joined the user forum.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

Thanks again Alan.
If I do add satellite, is a different epg better.
What skin do you use?
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0;
?
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote:Thanks again Alan.
If I do add satellite, is a different epg better.
I'm not currently in front of my box so what I write is from memory and I may get menu names/options very slight wrong :)

Are you mixing up terminology?

In OpenVix a Bouquet is just a list of channels
You may have a list of Freeview channels, a separate list of Freesat channels or maybe yet another list of Sky FTA channels. You can also make your own list of channels, say FredsFavouriteChannels etc.

The EPG is just the program listing data associated with the channels in the various lists (bouquets).

If you are asking if Sky FTA is better than Freesat then the answer is that Sky FTA just gives you more free channels of which, I guess, a few may be of interest to you. You still have the problem of 200 channels and nothing to watch unless you are into right wing USA God channels, more shopping or minority foreign language programming.

For Freeview, Freesat or Sky UK FTA you can get a broadcast over the air 7 day EPG which automatically updates the EPG information on your box. Alternatively you can get the satellite EPG over the internet. I choose the former.

In one of the menu pages there are the options to enable EIT, enable Freesat EPG and enable OpenTV EPG. They may already all be enabled by default but if all enabled you have the ability to get the broadcast over the air 7 day EPGs.

For Freesat and Freesat the options above will just populate the EPG data in the background as long as you are tuned into one of the channels that carries the EPG data. I believe for Freeview or Freesat any channel in the relevant list (bouquet) will do. This operates in the same way as the Toppy/Mystuff did. This EPG is also automatically saved to hard disk/storage when the box is put into deep standby so is available immediately on next switch on.

Sky FTA is slightly different for the over air EPG. For the channels common on both Freesat and Sky UK the enable Freesat EPG option with automatically populate the EPG for those common channels. For the other (extra) channels carried on Sky FTA you have to tune into the Sky IEPG channel for at least a few minutes each day. However this can be easily automated by using EPG Refresh to automatically change to the IEPG channel in the background. EPG Refresh is a channel changing Plug-In which is now part of the main build of the image and can be found in one of the menus. I configure it to change to the IEPG channel when the box frees up a satellite tuner. It can be configured to come out of standby, say during the night, switch to the IEPG channel for a couple of minutes, capture the broadcast EPG and then go back into standby.
What skin do you use?
From memory I think it's call Vix HD night (I think one of the defaults that is loaded as part of the image but I’ve been using it for years so not quite sure where it came from)

Skins are down to personal preference but be aware that skinning is a hobby activity and those who construct the alternative skins may not only change the look of the graphical user interface they may also change some of the options selected by the coloured buttons on the remote. If changing to a different skin just be aware that others in the forum may not be seeing the same as you. It is not unknown for some skins to break some functions occasionally. Also if not using a popular skin that is still being maintained by the author it can become out-of-date when there are major changes to the image.
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I prefer the simple_1080 skin, I used the night_hd skin before that.

It's available to choose in skin setup, and is updated by guys who also maintain ViX.
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
ccsx
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

ccs wrote:I prefer the simple_1080 skin, I used the night_hd skin before that. It's available to choose in skin setup, and is updated by guys who also maintain ViX.
Thanks ccs. For some reason I can’t read the writing as well on the simple.
?
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

Thanks again Alan for another long, interesting informative answer.
I think I’ve got my box set up as I want it now, and backed it up for safety.
One thing that I can’t find is a way to set “auto file� on a timer. I suppose
I have to ftp into the box and create a folder for Neighbours for my wife,
otherwise they’re going to be all over the place.
?
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote:Thanks again Alan for another long, interesting informative answer.
I think I’ve got my box set up as I want it now, and backed it up for safety.
One thing that I can’t find is a way to set “auto file� on a timer. I suppose
I have to ftp into the box and create a folder for Neighbours for my wife,otherwise they’re going to be all over the place.
FTP is one way. I cannot recall off hand the way on the box
Maybe??? in the Autotimer screen press menu again ????

Also if your remote has a text button press that first beore trying to enter any text and it may bring up a much easier text entry mode.

When adding the location for an autotimer the folder has to become a bookmark.

So, when clicking on the menu entry to use a unique location/folder you will only be offered the bookmarks to select

AT this point press MENU and pop-up will appear with the options file list and bookmak list

Select file list , highlight the folder for Neighbours and one of the coloured buttons is used to make it a bookmark

At this point press MENU again and from the pop-up select bookmark list. You now can select the Neighbours bookmark.

Note any timers that were created before this change will NOT be directed into the folder. You may already have timers for 7 days already set.

It may easier to first delete the autotimer and all timers created by it (one of the options you get on a pop-up when deleting an autotimer)

IMPORTANT after deleting an autotimer stay on the Autotimer page and press GREEN to save the changed autotimer list.

You can then recreate the autotimer and all episodes will then go into your folder
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

That’s brilliant, thanks again.
I’ll try that tomorrow when I’m back home.
?
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

Alan.
Did some reading on other forums, and came up with this:
https://www.techkings.org/threads/movie ... ers.97690/
whiich seems to fit the bill.
Installed it by ftp, enabled it and waiting to see if it works.
?
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote:Alan.
Did some reading on other forums, and came up with this:
https://www.techkings.org/threads/movie ... ers.97690/
whiich seems to fit the bill.
Installed it by ftp, enabled it and waiting to see if it works.
I believe that plug in only creates a folder if you have more than one episode recorded and after watching you delete all but one episodes the folder disappears and you one remaining episode gets left in the top level list with all the other recordings of one episode. It seems to inherited this silly idea from what sky do.
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I created 4 or 5 folders years ago for soaps and others progs I wanted to store elsewhere.
Worth the effort, it doesn't take long.

The rest, and there are loads, I access using Tags, a standard feature which orders programmes into "pseudo" folders, and reverts back to the standard movie-list with the press of a button.

Long press yellow gets you to tags in movie-list. If you don't like grogs there'll be a fair bit of "undoing" to do.
ccsx
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

goodolpete wrote: Installed it by ftp,
Just in case you haven't seen it
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/show ... nch-images

Up to now FTP to these boxes has not required you to set a password. The image updates that may be available soon will require a password to be set on the box.