General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

js5800
Frequent contributor

Post by js5800 »

widget wrote:
Like bugbear the Toppy has become unresponsive to the RC this week but I can't work out if it is the remote or the box. A very intermittent niggling problem, not solved by new batteries. I may need to dismantle the remote and clean the button contacts.

Look at the IR blaster on the remote through a digital camera (phone camera will do). You will see if the remote is responding to key presses without dismantling it.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+R2UUuVdWf
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; QuickJump 1.72; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; (FastScanGUI v0.6d);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 27/3/12
widget
Frequent contributor

Post by widget »

js5800 wrote:
widget wrote:
Like bugbear the Toppy has become unresponsive to the RC this week but I can't work out if it is the remote or the box. A very intermittent niggling problem, not solved by new batteries. I may need to dismantle the remote and clean the button contacts.

Look at the IR blaster on the remote through a digital camera (phone camera will do). You will see if the remote is responding to key presses without dismantling it.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that. It would appear that sometimes the remote is just plain 'slow to respond' to button presses - hence my thought about dismantling it and cleaning the contacts. Some days it is 'zippy', others 'lethargic'. A bit like me :lol:
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65BfBqCeCkCwCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
TAPs: QuickJump 1.62; UK Timers v1.2c; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; (Channel Organiser B2.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 9/9/15
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

It's more likely to be a faulty IR receiver on the Toppy front panel.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
CharlieBoy
Frequent contributor

Post by CharlieBoy »

Two Toppies still in daily use for both watching and recording. A spare in the loft.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+UUu
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MHEG On/Off A3; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Deepletterbox 2.44; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6; (StartCh); (fsSave 1.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/18
?
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

widget wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion but I've already done that. It would appear that sometimes the remote is just plain 'slow to respond' to button presses - hence my thought about dismantling it and cleaning the contacts. Some days it is 'zippy', others 'lethargic'. A bit like me :lol:
When did you last turn your toppy off at the mains (after first putting it into standby)? Leave it without power for a few minutes. The Toppy was known to get sluggish, say, if interactive services (red button) were used and a cold boot via removing mains would be a cure for this sluggishness.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
wjohnm

Post by wjohnm »

widget wrote:
js5800 wrote:
widget wrote:

Probably not helpful but I had to buy a new remote some time ago when the Toppy was my primary HDR. Now often use Sony TV or Manhattan, but Toppy is good if I want to keep and edit stuff and keep in separate folders.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: MyInfo B5.6; QuickJump 1.72; PruneEPG 1.0; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 28/5/20
â„¢
inglewoodpete

2400 is still our main DTV tuner/recorder

Post by inglewoodpete »

It has been serval years since I logged into the forum.

We still use our TRF-2400 (Australia) as the main TV tuner. It supports all SD and HD video apart from MPEG-4 H.264 format.

The PVR has a few quirks but is generally reliable. The strangest quirk is that it it won't save a recording that starts at 7:30PM on a Saturday - the solution is to start the recording at 7:29PM!

The power supply needed the low-ESR electrolytic capacitor birthday a few years ago.

The hard drive was replaced a couple of times before I upgraded it to a 1TB WD Purple (surveillance) drive. This drive has worked fine for several years.

The IR receiver of the Toppy's from board failed and was replaced with one from Altronics at least 6 years ago.

The batteries in the remote control need replacing when the PVR becomes slow at responding to it. I assume that the remote has some sort of voltage pump which suffers when the batteries are down.

Having said all this, I hope I have not jinxed the old box!
Salopian
Frequent contributor

Post by Salopian »

I still have one Toppy on the go. I still talk to it via a Slug (do you remember them?).
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+ScWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.6; Super PiP 1.1b; (Deselect v1.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/2/14
?
gavink
Regular contributor

Post by gavink »

Salopian wrote:I still have one Toppy on the go. I still talk to it via a Slug (do you remember them?).
Toppy x 2, 1 in the main room in daily use connected to the network with a Slug, and 1 in the bedroom in semi-retirement connected to the network with a PopcornHour A-110.

The Toppies are still brilliant and the Slug keeps on going, just a failed power supply and one dead flash drive in 14 years ... still I'll probably have to start think about replacements soon, they won't go on for ever.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+U
TAPs: Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; PruneEPG 1.0; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; (USB Accelerator 1.0);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 1/10/20
Salopian
Frequent contributor

Post by Salopian »

The Slug was a great device when it came out. I was thinking about what I could do with it when I have finished with the Toppy. Nowadays it is not much use. I have a few NAS to provide online storage and printers all work online now.

RIP SLUG.
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+ScWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.6; Super PiP 1.1b; (Deselect v1.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/2/14
?
furkin
Frequent contributor

Post by furkin »

Hi guys,
Long time eh.

My 5800 is still connected - as a stand-by.

I was looking for a new recorder, when someone on here mentioned Humax.
They aren't a patch on the Toppy's, but we have to move along.
I got a 4000T for the lounge. After a month, it had to go back, and they replaced it with a used (well used) one.
The original remote didn't last long either.
I bought another 4000T from a neighbour, so I have it in my sick/bed room.
I've now had 7 remotes from Humax,
There is a whole load of forum postings about that very thing, but Humax still think there is nothing wrong with them.
Mind you, they will be making more profit from selling remotes, than they do sell half reasonable PVR's.

Anyway, I came across this posting today, and been thinking of new recorders to fit (closely) to my new TV - 65Panasonic OLED with Atmos.

I saw that you mentioned Enigma, so just had a quick look.
The 4k system looks pretty good, along with the multi recording modes. I tend to set my recorder up for the whole week - to suit my situation.

Apart from the Enigma, what else is worth looing at currently ?

A big 'HI' to all my old friends on here (& some new ones now).

I hope you are all keeping well - stay safe - the end is nigh (apparot ly)
Last edited by furkin on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5800: 5:13:65T, MyStuff: 6.5. SecCache uk v0.4. epg2mei: 0.96. Font Manager: 1.0d. Extend: 1.7. MyInfo: B5.6. EitSub: v0.6.
Humax: FVP4000T. TV: LG 55 EC930V + Toshiba 32XV505 LCD (inc Freeview).
Other: Panasonic E55 DVD + Lite-On DVD Recorders. Philips STB.
M.Player: Coopa TV001
Transmitter: Redruth.
wjohnm

Post by wjohnm »

I took the advice of someone on here and got Manhattan T4-R as below.
Works well but not as good as Toppy, but does series, freeview play and streaming. It is 4K but TV is not so can’t note on that.
John
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: MyInfo B5.6; QuickJump 1.72; PruneEPG 1.0; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 28/5/20
â„¢
kevsterci
Frequent contributor

Post by kevsterci »

I still use a 5810 and a 5800 every day as my go to since 2006! My Mum uses one of my a 5800s.

Have a total of:
- three working 5800's plus one for parts
- one working 5810's, one to repair

Used a SLUG for many years for one, only recently did it's power supply adaptor go wrong.

In addition I have a BT/Humax Youview box with HD (dtr-t1000) but find it so slow compared to the Toppy, so is only used when I want to watch in HD or catch up.

Any alternative I've used (that other people own) I find slow and frustrating such as panasonic PVRs.

The 5800s will become redundent when I no longer have a TV with a Scart input.
TF5800 x5,Plus TF5810 x2 TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended, Sy MyStuff 6.6 on all ;TAPs on ALL: EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3
furkin
Frequent contributor

Post by furkin »

kevsterci wrote: The 5800s will become redundent when I no longer have a TV with a Scart input.
I used a Scart to HDMI patch lead on the LG OLED with no Scart. I thought it was doing it's job. Recently though, I think it was only passing the weakest of signal through.

I have now bought a Scart to HDMI upscaler - so it should be better (HDMI to Scart are also available. They aren't interchangeable !).

With the great reputation of Toppy, it's a shame they didn't carry on.
5800: 5:13:65T, MyStuff: 6.5. SecCache uk v0.4. epg2mei: 0.96. Font Manager: 1.0d. Extend: 1.7. MyInfo: B5.6. EitSub: v0.6.
Humax: FVP4000T. TV: LG 55 EC930V + Toshiba 32XV505 LCD (inc Freeview).
Other: Panasonic E55 DVD + Lite-On DVD Recorders. Philips STB.
M.Player: Coopa TV001
Transmitter: Redruth.
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

furkin wrote:
kevsterci wrote: The 5800s will become redundent when I no longer have a TV with a Scart input.
I used a Scart to HDMI patch lead on the LG OLED with no Scart. I thought it was doing it's job. Recently though, I think it was only passing the weakest of signal through.

I have now bought a Scart to HDMI upscaler - so it should be better (HDMI to Scart are also available. They aren't interchangeable !).

With the great reputation of Toppy, it's a shame they didn't carry on.
Did the Toppy have a great reputation? The box was ONLY popular and well loved because the native firmware supplied by Topfield was replaced with something better. If it wasn't for bug fixes or enhancements supplied by users all Toppy boxes would have been in landfill a decade ago, and after Topfield abandoned its UK user base.

There is no such thing as a SCART to HDMI lead as SCART is analogue and HDMI is digital. To connect one to the other some electronic conversion is first required which cannot be achieved in a simple bit of connecting wire.

In a conversion from SCART to HDMI it all depends which output signal from the SCART the conversion to digital HDMI is being performed on.
There are three different possible outputs on a SCART from a Toppy
i) composite (worst possible picture quality)
ii) YUV (better quality picture)
iii) RBG (Red Blue Green) better quality picture

The Toppy (or other boxes) may be outputting the composite (worst quality picture) in parallel with one of the other output modes. If your SCART to HDMI adapter is only working on the composite signal then the output from the converter is likely to be C**P. Does the specification for the converter(s) actually say on which of the possible SCART outputs the conversion is being performed.

While an analogue SCART to digital HDMI may be a stop gap consider that unlike a modern box that will output data in a digital format (and at HD or 4K resolutions) you are taking a SD analogue signal and converting it to digital. Every conversion like this in the chain is going to degrade the signal.

Also, your TV is more likely to do a much better job of up-scaling a SD resolution picture to HD/4K resolution than a cheap in-line converter. It’s much like having both a STB and a TV both capable of upscaling to HD/4K. It may be better to leave a STB box outputting broadcast TV in HD resolutions and let the TV upscale or you may get a better picture letting the box do the up-scaling and just allow the TV to take the data as is. The manufacturer of a mid to top range TV is more likely to have invested more money in the development of sophisticated upscale algorithms.

Upscaling can never improve the quality of the picture (nor can it convert SD to HD/4K quality) and on some of the lesser channels the data rate for broadcasting SD is woefully inadequate and displaying it on any large screen TV will always make it look soft/blurry.

Even on a box capable of decoding HD or 4K a broadcast SD channel (which can also be decoded) is what it is. If the data rate is low the output of the STB will look no different to what it does from a Toppy. The difference with a HD/4K box it that it can also decode the channels broadcast in those formats which have much higher effective data rates and better resolution.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)