General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

It sounds like a file association issue. The script calls the ProjectX.Jar file. With Java installed, that extension is associated with Java and will work as expected. Without Java installed, it will try to open whatever program is associated with '.Jar' or it will throw up an error.
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
anthony2l
Frequent contributor

Post by anthony2l »

I'm slowly moving to Linux and also had 150+ recordings to convert and discovered a one line command:

for i in *.rec; do ffmpeg -i "$i" (folder if not existing)"${i%.*}.mp4"; done

I wonder if there is a similar ffmpeg one line script for Windows cmd though Linux scripting seems to be very powerful.

There is some discussion and suggestions here including using Windows' Powershell which is, well, err, more Powerful than cmd:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/578 ... ith-ffmpeg
TF5810, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Bm
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 12/2/20
Waltham Tx
Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA[/size]â„¢
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

You don't really need PowerShell in Windows as you can do it in the simpler command line as long as ffmpeg is on your path. Otherwise you need to add the full directory path in front of 'ffmpeg'

Code: Select all

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('dir /b *.rec') DO ffmpeg -i "%G" "%~nG.mp4"
The problem is that it copies the whole recording across with padding and adverts included. I use Freemake Video Converter to cut it down to length and cut out the adverts before saving as mp4, but it obviously takes a lot longer to process each recording manually.
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
anthony2l
Frequent contributor

Post by anthony2l »

YorkshireJumbo wrote:You don't really need PowerShell in Windows as you can do it in the simpler command line as long as ffmpeg is on your path. Otherwise you need to add the full directory path in front of 'ffmpeg'

Code: Select all

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('dir /b *.rec') DO ffmpeg -i "%G" "%~nG.mp4"
The problem is that it copies the whole recording across with padding and adverts included. I use Freemake Video Converter to cut it down to length and cut out the adverts before saving as mp4, but it obviously takes a lot longer to process each recording manually.
I've usually run Cut Ads on the .REC first, it is just so easy and forgiving in that I can put it all back together again if needed.
TF5810, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Bm
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 12/2/20
Waltham Tx
Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA[/size]â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

If you use CutAds, my ToppyDiskMedic program will be unable to fully recover a disk. This is because the disjointed timing information in a cut recording stream means that TDM won't be able to "discover" which blocks belong to the recording.

Not an issue if you won't need the disk to be recovered.

Personally, I would cut it on the pc rather than the toppy. This is because you probably have better control over the cut points (I haven't done this for a long time, nowadays, I just use the toppy as a record/watch/delete machine)

I'm unsure what happens if one cuts a recording on the pc and transfers it back to the toppy - some editing programs may rewrite the timing information so that it is sequential again (but then they might not).

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
foomanchu

Post by foomanchu »

Hope I'm not too late to add to this discussion LOL but I use VLC on PC and mobile to watch Toppy .rec files without any need for conversion - so I just transfer (Antares) and watch. I think actually VLC can also convert on the fly if you really want. Just thought this may help someone!
widget
Frequent contributor

Post by widget »

VLC and Handbrake are both based on the ffmpeg 'engine'.

ffmpeg (multi-platform) is very powerful and will convert almost anything to anything. However, as it is a command line tool and very powerful it can take a while to learn how to use it. With perseverance (and internet seaches) most things can be learnt or resolved.

I now use it for all of my re-/encoding. Being able to batch convert to/from h264/h265 is brilliant. At some point I will convert my entire set of Toppy .rec recordings (I'm not bothered by adverts, or topping & tailing the padding as its is quicker to use 'jump' keys on he remote.)

Feel free to PM me if you need more guidance.

{WinFF was a useful way to learn some of the ffmpeg command line parameters as it contains 'presets'}
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65BfBqCeCkCwCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
TAPs: QuickJump 1.62; UK Timers v1.2c; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; (Channel Organiser B2.1);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 9/9/15