General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

jimi
Frequent contributor

Topfield 5800 in 2021

Post by jimi »

Although the hardware is stuck in 2006 (apart from hard drive upgrades) the software certainly isn't.
I remember well the trials & tribulations of doing any transfers, updates etc back then. At one time I used to drop a usb cable out the bedroom window and in through the lounge window so I could connect my pc to the Toppy, then you had to hope ( many times in vain) they would talk to each other and not drop the connection while any transfer was going on :cry:
Contrast that with today, there I was sat in the lounge checking my email on my tablet, I see forum emails, Gramps has updated the logo packs and Geoff has updated Freeview (Scotland).dat & FvTxData.tsv Thanks guys 8)
So might as well update them now, fired up TeamViewer on my tablet and used it to wake up and connect to my PC. Still on TeamViewer started TM on my PC and connected to the Toppy, it offered to update the files, which I accepted, couple of clicks, couple of minutes and done. Restart the Toppy with the remote, check all is well which it is .... Propper Job !!
I can also ftp directly into the Toppy and copy recordings off onto any of my network connected devices, between FTP and TM I never need to use Altair anymore, haven't done for quite a few years.
Thanks to everyone who has made this level of interconnection/sophistication possible on a 15+ year old PVR, even some current equipment can't match it 8)
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 16/12/20
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Re: Topfield 5800 in 2021

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

What do you use for FTP? I have an old family laptop permanently attached to the Toppy which I fire up daily to do backups using a batch file calling Antares in Command Line mode. It works, but it ain't pretty. I also use it for TM
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

AFAIK you can't FTP directly to the Toppy, mine is connected by usb to a Raspberry Pi, which has a FTP server running on it (among other things).
The Pi is connected to my LAN so any of my network devices that can run a FTP client can connect to the Toppy, TM can also connect using FTP.
I use a licensed copy of FlashFXP as it allows me to schedule FTP tasks (like a backup of file transfer) Originally I used to use a free version of FileZilla for FTP, but it has no scheduler.
Last edited by jimi on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Thanks - yet another reason to get a Pi!
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

My Pi has been running virtually 24/7 for over 4 years, never had a problem with it and my Toppy has always been accessible via the Pi in that time.
It runs with no mouse, keyboard or monitor, although I do have an HDMI connection from it to my TV so I could plug in a keyboard/mouse if I wanted to use it in the lounge. I can also access the Pi remotely from my PC using Windows Remote Desktop and all the folders are accessible via Windows Explorer (both on Win7 64bit and Win10 64bit)
Bit of a learning curve to get it set up the way I wanted but worth it in the end. 8)