General chat about the TF5800 and TF5810 PVRs, along with other European Topfield models, customer service, plus other Toppy issues not covered elsewhere

Moderators: General, Technical

macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Geoff Bacon wrote:You can probably stop the toppy rebooting at startup by running TM and using the PcControl option (I'm guessing that PcControl is not starting up before EPG2MEI and this option should reorder the files so that it does). Note: you don't have to do anything else in PcControl - just "Show the Menus".
Geoff
Many thanks, OK...

I tried this but it didn't make any difference, and it didn't change the tap-order.
So I opened: Tap Commander
and clicked its [Reorder] button, and then moved PcControl to the top of its list.
which seems to have solved that.
Geoff Bacon wrote: I was surprised to see you had 6.4 backups as the installer only asks this question if it detects that they exist; these must have been in your old snapshot.
You can delete them from the \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff folder using Antares and/ or TM Browse.
Geoff
I used TM-Browse, and at: ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff folder
I have many of these files: Mystuff_Searches.dat.201410312202
where each file has a slightly different number.

Q1: So are these files I need to delete?
There are other similar named files, eg:
Mystuff.dat.201410312202 etc

Geoff Bacon wrote: You don't need to edit any tap .ini files as broadcast times are stored in the Freeview.dat provided by the installer. Basically, when you rescan using the Channel Organiser (or TM| PcControl| Channel Management) , this file will be used to rewrite the files used by the other taps (e.g. EPG2MEI and Extend)
Geoff
I'll rescan using the Channel Organiser, but:
Last time when I checked the different channels websites, the times shown on their website matched the available times on the Toppy, but that didn't match the times of programs actually being broadcast. eg, one Channel might say it ceased broadcasting at 0300, (or earlier) when in fact there were programs up 0600.
So the only way to solve that was to manually edit the file that contained those times.
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.4; PcControl B1.3; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/11/14 ++ 1TB HDD Upgrade
?
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

EPG2MEI.ini may have restrictions.....
ccs wrote:I don't have any time restrictions, and don't get any problems...

Code: Select all

# File updated by  Channel Organiser B2.1 on 28/3/2015 at 10:37

[Control]
Output=EPG  # Note: this is temporary and the output will eventually be EPG.mei
EuroDST
External=MyStuff
Demangle
MergeExt
UseExtGenre
#AddExtendedInfo
StripDups
Debug=Off
DescSeparator=�
DescTerminator=
NB I don't allow CO to update config files, otherwise the above .ini file would be overwritten.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

You need to delete any files that have a .2014* extension (this is the year that they were created and are therefore 6 years out of date).

If you think the broadcast times are wrong then pm me and/or add a post. I can then change it so that everyone can benefit.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Geoff Bacon wrote: You need to delete any files that have a .2014* extension (this is the year that they were created and are therefore 6 years out of date).

If you think the broadcast times are wrong then pm me and/or add a post. I can then change it so that everyone can benefit.
Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Help Please...
For about 2 weeks, everything has been working just fine,
and much more responsive than before.
I had made about 30 recordings that were listed in the 'recordings' page.

Then on Tue:
The toppy was approaching the end of recording,
and I was using the EPG to set some future recording.
While doing this, the toppy became less & less responsive to the remote.

After the recording had finished, my only option was to close down the toppy, which took some time.

Then I rebooted the toppy, and now I only have the proprietary pages, eg: no toppy pages.

Clicking the button to:

a: check for future timed recording: lists the 'Recordings' option, but it's greyed out.
b: check for previous recording, has no effect.

I connected the toppy to my W10-PC via its USB, and opened TopManager,
which says that connection had failed.

After disabling 'W10 driver signature enforcement'
I tried re-installing it's driver: z4t.exe
but the toppy is not listed in its 'install driver' device box.
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.4; PcControl B1.3; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Sounds like your disk is corrupted and/or the toppy is not seeing it.

As I don't know what happens if you press Archive when there is no disk (it may show an empty Recordings folder or it may just ignore the key press), I suggest you press
1) Menu
2) Installation
3) Format Hard Disk
Check to see if it offers you the option to format the disk - if so the toppy can see it; if not it can't.
If it will let you Reformat then press the EXIT button on the remote or use the CANCEL button (highlighted with yellow border on my 5800).

If the toppy can see the disk then the file system is corrupted. As you only have 30 odd recordings, it is effectively empty so you could just reformat it and and reinstall MyStuff via my GCBMyStuffInstaller. Obviously, to reinstall MyStuff means that you will need to be able to connect via TM to the toppy so reformatting and restarting doesn't sound an option at this point if TM can't connect.

Alternatively, you could send both disks to me to recover and I'll move your 30 odd recordings to your original disk (and reinstall MyStuff).

TM might fail to connect because the toppy can't see the disk or because the driver needs to be reinstalled (you usually have to reinstall it after a "major" W10 update).

I would have thought that you could use Z4t even if the toppy is connected "without a disk". So as it wasn't visible, this implies an issue with the USB connection, Suggest you try a different port on the PC and/or a different cable between pc and toppy (just try this without running z4t)

Do you have, or can you borrow, an old pc or laptop i.e. running something other than W10? If so, try running z4t on it and then install/run TM to check that you can access the disk.

You seem to have had a few issues recently and these could all be down to a failing power supply. I don't think you answered my question about "have all the capacitors been changed?" (asked in a much earlier post in this thread). If not, you need to contact andyfras about his repair options.

Geoff
TopManager program
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

macmac: Unless the reception problem mentioned in Post 1 has cleared, this issue is likely to repeat time and again. It is known that Toppys wipe their disks if the quality figure on any Mux in use drops below 99%.
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Geoff Bacon wrote:Sounds like your disk is corrupted and/or the toppy is not seeing it.

As I don't know what happens if you press Archive when there is no disk (it may show an empty Recordings folder or it may just ignore the key press), I suggest you press
1) Menu
2) Installation
3) Format Hard Disk
Check to see if it offers you the option to format the disk - if so the toppy can see it; if not it can't.
If it will let you Reformat then press the EXIT button on the remote or use the CANCEL button (highlighted with yellow border on my 5800).
Geoff
Hi Geoff,
I followed your above directions,
and the 'Format Hard Disk' is greyed out, so I cant select it.

I connected my USB cable to my other toppy (eg: 5810) and it connected to TM OK.

NB: When I connect my USB cable to my 5810:
The USB Icon is visible in my Windows 'Hidden Icon' popup
But it's not visible when I connect it to my 5800.

I did the recommended PS repair about 7 years ago.

So what do you think the problem is?

PS: Re albertd, comment about: TV's Signal strength
Over the last 2 weeks, the TV's Signal has seemed OK.
Does the toppy record the signal strength, in any of its files?

PPS: Like last time, the toppy seems as though it would record OK from the proprietary software, although I've not done so this time, as I don't want to damage the current recordings.

But if the toppy could record, and save the recording, then that would suggest that the HDD is functioning, and if that was the case, why cant I access it via USB?

Many thanks
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

As your 5810 can connect via TM, this shows that the driver and pc are working fine (assuming the same PC and USB cable) i.e. no need to run Z4t.

The fact that "Format Disk" is grayed out indicates that the toppy can't see/use the disk - either the disk has failed or the disk connection and/or circuitry to it isn't working.

Suggest you re-seat the disk cables (in case they have worked loose) and try again.

You say that you "did the recommended PS repair about 7 years ago." The recommendation several years ago was to change about 6 capacitors but the current recommendation is to change all of them.
So, did you change all the capacitors or just some? If just some then you need to replace the others (or at least check they are in spec).

Signal quality is a known cause of disk corruption as is failing capacitors. You've had issues with 2 disks so you could either just be unlucky or one or both of these is the likely cause of your problems.

The only way to fully test the signal quality at the tuner is by running the SignalMonitor tap or using the TM PCControl| Measure Signals option (a repair man could also measure the signals with a meter but this doesn't tell him what the tuner is detecting).
Either way, you need to be able to use a disk to measure the signals on the 5800.

What you could do is temporarily move the 5810 to the cable used by the 5800 and measure the signals on that (use the TM| PcControl mechanism, measure for 10 seconds on both tuners; right click in the table and select "Copy as padded text"; post in this thread. While not checking out the tuners on the 5810, this would at least give an indication of the quality at that end of the cable.

Another option, assuming the signal is OK, is to swap the disks between the 5810 and 5800 and also swap the positions of the two toppies (but this won't solve your overall problem if it is failing capacitors).

Geoff
PS: my gut feeling is the capacitors
TopManager program
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I wouldn't swap the 5810 disk with the 5800 disk, you might end up losing both.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

I was not talking about signal strength, but signal quality. It is absolutely essential that it remains above 98% as measured by the signal monitor or by TopManager, or you will get this problem often.

It is no use relying on the look of the picture, you must use the measurements.
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Update:
To refresh everyone's memory and bring you up to date:

PVR 5800:

Before sending the HDD's to Geoff Bacon for recovery...

Re: HDD_1:

Quite some time ago I replaced my PVR's original ATA drive with a 1TB SATA drive,
(so I'll call this HDD_1) that has been working OK.

Then last Aug:
Upon switch on, a message told me to format the drive, which I declined,
but now the list of my earlier recordings is not visible.

So I put this HDD in my PC's caddy, and it is listed in the Windows Disk Management as:
Unknown, Not Initialised, Unallocated

If I run TopfHDRW this popup appears: Loading Topfield Disk 2: Please Stand By
followed by this popup: Damaged Subdirectory '\; Cluster 0 Please run a file system check
So (as shown in my above screenshot) it finds the drive and runs the check, but fails at line-number 7250/7450.

Re: HDD 2:
So I replaced (HDD_1) drive with a brand new 2TB SATA (HDD_2), which I then re-installed.
This drive worked OK for about two weeks.
Then it failed with the same symptom, but now I couldn't access that drive via the PVR's USB socket.
So I stopped using the PVR.

Eventually (this week) I finally got round to removing this HDD from the PVR:
I put this HDD into my PC's caddy, this drive is also listed in the Windows Disk Management as:
Unknown, Not Initialised, Unallocated

And if I run TopfHDRW, the same popup appears, eg: Loading Topfield Disk 2: Please Stand By
But then after quite some time it says: (Not responding)
So I couldn't run TopfHDRW.

When I power up this drive in the caddy, I can hear the drive motor run for about 5sec, then it stops, followed by a faint click, a bit like in the early HDD when you had to manually 'Park' them.

I've tried this many times over the last few days, and got the same results.

This drive is a: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Desktop Hard Drive 7200RPM 256MB Cache / ST2000DM008

So I removed its external PCB that's on the bottom of the HDD, (attached by 4 screws).
And checked over the PCB for any obvious signs of damage, but non could be found.
So I put the PCB back.

The next day, out of curiosity, I tried the HDD again, but this time, the drive continued to run, and this time the popup appears: Loading Topfield Disk 2: Please Stand By
followed by this popup: Damaged Subdirectory '\; Cluster 0 Please run a file system check
and then this popup:
'The filesystem check has found one or more error on the left disk! Write disabled for that disk!'

I clicked its [OK] button, and the HDRead/Write Window opened.
Then I clicked: Disk < File System Check
Then: File < Perform Checks
The window then showed some checks it had performed up to:
Fixed: Superblock: Backup Sectors per Cluster set to 29892
Then nothing appeared to be happening for about 2min (and it said 'Not responding)
Then: Fixed: Superblock: Root Directory Reconstructed
Then after about 6min: Fixed: Root Directory - entries copied from superblock
Then after about 4min: The window started to fill with the many corrections that it had made.
Finally saying Test Finished.
Select 'File - Write changes to the disk' to make the modifications permanent

NB: Most if not all files have the suffix: '...is shorter than expected changed size from ??MB to 0 B'
see this image:Image

So I selected: File < Write changes to the disk
Then the bottom of the window then said: Writing modified cluster to disk
Then after about 30sec a popup said:
'TopfHDRW has lost the link to the hard drive!
Terminating now! GetLastError reported Error Code 0'
Then nothing happened, so after 2 min I clicked the popups [OK] button.
Then I checked the USB (HDD-caddy-connection) icon in Windows bottom toolbar, and it was no longer there.

Then I ran TopfHDRW again, and this popup appears: Loading Topfield Disk 2: Please Stand By
And again this popup: The filesystem check has found one or more error on the left disk! Write disabled for that disk!
So I clicked its [OK] button, and the HDRead/Write Window opened.
But this time the left-hand window lists 53 files/recordings that it has recovered.
So I ticked each of their boxes, and then clicked the blue --> to copy them to the right-hand window.

After the 53 files/recordings were copied to the right-hand window/PC.
I tested a random sample and found that everyone only played back for about 1 to 2 min and then stopped.
Also the program length, which is normally shown on the right of my VLC player always shows zero.

If I run TopfHDRW again, and this popup appears: Loading Topfield Disk 2: Please Stand By
And again this popup: The filesystem check has found one or more error on the left disk! Write disabled for that disk!
Clicking its [OK] button, and the HDRead/Write Window opens,
and the left-hand window still shows the same 53 files/recordings as before.

So should I run the 'file system check' again, or are the recordings lost?
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

The storage on a toppy disk is divided into, at most, about 132000 units called clusters. Clusters on a 2GB disk are larger than those on a 1GB disk. Files on the disk consist of one or more clusters. These clusters do not need to be contiguous - they can be scattered anywhere on the disk. When the end of a cluster is processed, the toppy determines the next cluster by looking up information in the FAT table (File Allocation Table).

Basically, your FAT has been corrupted (by writing back the contents using TopfHDRW and possibly before that).

Your recordings only run for 1 or 2 mins because the files consist of a single cluster (the first cluster of a file contains the file header information and the start of the recording stream).

So yes, you have lost these recordings (unless you send the disk to me as before).

Your problems connecting to the disk on the PC might be down to your adapter/connector and/or the PC interface i.e. it might not be the actual disk (I'm assuming you are providing a separate power source for the disk and not just relying on the USB cable to do it).

You shouldn't be removing the PCB (still that is done now).

The disk seems to be taking a long time to respond - which is why you are having such long times - and sometimes it isn't responding at all

Suggest you run GSmartControl (free, google for it) and see what that reports about the state of the disk hardware i.e. are any errors related to the disk itself or to the method of connection on the toppy.

Where did you get the toppy adapter and cable from?
The toppy is pernickety about what disks and adapters are used (I think it also depends on which way round the cable is connected). Andyfras can provide suitable adapters & cables.

I'm sure I've asked this before but just in case: Have all (not just 6) the capacitors on the toppy psu (power supply unit) been changed. If not, this is a must (best by Andyfras).

So to summarize
  • Your files are lost (unless you send it to me).
    Your disk may be damaged and need replacement (use GSmartControl to check)
    The toppy adapter and/or cable may be unsuitable
    The PSU may need it's capacitors changed
Geoff
PS: Don't fit a new disk if the capacitors have not been changed (to avoid damaging it)
TopManager program
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Geoff Bacon wrote:The storage on a toppy disk is divided into, at most, about 132000 units called clusters. Clusters on a 2GB disk are larger than those on a 1GB disk. Files on the disk consist of one or more clusters. These clusters do not need to be contiguous - they can be scattered anywhere on the disk. When the end of a cluster is processed, the toppy determines the next cluster by looking up information in the FAT table (File Allocation Table).

Basically, your FAT has been corrupted (by writing back the contents using TopfHDRW and possibly before that).

Your recordings only run for 1 or 2 mins because the files consist of a single cluster (the first cluster of a file contains the file header information and the start of the recording stream).

So yes, you have lost these recordings (unless you send the disk to me as before).
Thanks for that detailed and clear explanation, that's basically what I thought may have happened.
But I thought that TopfHDRW was supposed to be able to re-create the FAT file so that it could find complete recordings?
Geoff Bacon wrote:Your problems connecting to the disk on the PC might be down to your adapter/connector and/or the PC interface i.e. it might not be the actual disk (I'm assuming you are providing a separate power source for the disk and not just relying on the USB cable to do it).

You shouldn't be removing the PCB (still that is done now).

The disk seems to be taking a long time to respond - which is why you are having such long times - and sometimes it isn't responding at all
Everything is fine with my caddy, it works fine on other HDD that I use in it, and it does have its own power supply.
Geoff Bacon wrote:Suggest you run GSmartControl (free, google for it) and see what that reports about the state of the disk hardware i.e. are any errors related to the disk itself or to the method of connection on the toppy.
I've used GSmartControl but I cant see any info that points to the original issues, it does show some 'relocated sector count'
See the attached log.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ak5aa31w7x8ower/Error_Log_ST2000DM008-2FR102_ZFL021Q8_2021-03-29.txt/file
Geoff Bacon wrote:Where did you get the toppy adapter and cable from?
The toppy is pernickety about what disks and adapters are used (I think it also depends on which way round the cable is connected). Andyfras can provide suitable adapters & cables.
This was done many years ago, and it's been running OK. I used the 'adapter and cable' recommended at the time.
Geoff Bacon wrote:I'm sure I've asked this before but just in case: Have all (not just 6) the capacitors on the toppy psu (power supply unit) been changed. If not, this is a must (best by Andyfras).
No, I changed what was recommended at the time, it may have been 6, certainly not all. When I asked about the others the consensus was that rest didn't need changing.
I expect that has changed over time.

But I will change all of them, if I decide to continue using the PVR.
Geoff Bacon wrote:So to summarize...
Your files are lost (unless you send it to me)...
Geoff
I will send you both HDD's (let me have your address)
Any advice on the best way to pack them?

I would like to learn more about HDD recovery, can you recommend any practical info, eg, books etc, eg: a practical step by step approach to HDD recovery, preferably with working example etc?
I read a lot online but nothing that has a practical step by step approach.

Many thanks
?
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

The disk report shows that there are several bad areas on the disk:

Code: Select all

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   010    -    4
 87 Reported_Uncorrect      -O--CK   001   001   000    -    959
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   099   097   000    -    340
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   099   097   000    -    340
i.e. The disk has reported 959 bad sectors (a sector is typically 512 bytes but some modern disks use larger values internally e.g. 4096 or 8192 while still allowing software to treat them as 512 byte sectors).

The Offline Uncorrectable shows 340 bad "sectors". Basically, during a time when the disk was idle, it has self run a check on the disk surface and found issues reading these sectors. The Pending value of 340 means that next time one of the suspect sectors is written to, it should be mapped to a spare sector. This is transparent to software programs accessing the disk and is how the disk is supposed to work. A pending sector can return to an OK status if the disk controller successfully reads it before it is remapped.

I've no idea why there is a discrepancy between the 959 and the 340 - perhaps it has corrected some (shown by the Reallocated statistic?). Note: There is no standard for how to interpret the SMART values

The disk hardware uses ECC (Error Correcting Code) algorithms so that it can reform the data on a suspect sector (assuming the sector is marginal). The logic also performs multiple reads on the sector when trying to reform the data. This shouldn't be noticed by the program software although you may notice a delay while sectors are reread multiple times. This could be particularly noticeable if the bad sectors are near the start of the disk and are accessed frequently e.g. in the FAT or Datafiles directory; a few sectors higher up the disk are not as important as they might only be seldom accessed or never until you play the affected recording.

HDRW does work on some disks but typically it truncates the file to the first cluster (which is why I wrote ToppyDskMedic). The toppy actually has 2 FAT areas - a primary and a secondary. Perhaps HDRW really only works when just one of these is corrupted?

When I was talking about the adapter, I was referring to the one actually in the toppy (not the one connecting the disk to the pc). It is the toppy that is fussy about the adapter!

Andy recommends all capacitors are changed (and has for several years)

Ideally the disks should be packed as you bought them i.e. in an electrostatic bag inside bubble wrap in a secure box. If you don't have a bag, see how to pack hard drive without an anti-static bag? | Tom's ... (I haven't read it!).

I don't have anything I can give you on HDD recovery - I did it by trial and error!
Basically, you need to find code to perform physical read/writes of the disk (it is unmounted so you can't use the windows file system) - google for pdiskio.

You then need to understand the toppy file system - Google TOPFIELD INTERNAL INFORMATION

Then you have to spend 100s of hours trying to decode a disk (and understanding the video stream format so that you can hunt where clusters are on the disk).

I'll pm you the address

Geoff
TopManager program