For questions, answers and tips aimed at new users, or those thinking about buying a Toppy

Moderators: General, Technical

100949football
Regular contributor

Toppy asking me to format hard drive from switch on

Post by 100949football »

Toppy 5800 which has been faithful for years. Must confess HD is almost full (about 15 hours recording space left on 160GB). Switched on tonight and was immediately asked to format HDD yes or no. Cannot access "archive" therefore cannot watch any recorded programmes. Cannot record new ones either?
Otherwise machine operating fine!
Anyone any ideas as my wife has tons of old prigs she wants to watch!

Please fellas?
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

The disk is corrupted. It may be possible to fix it by removing the disk, then attaching it to a PC running TopfHDRW.

Have the PSU capacitors been replaced yet?
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

The disk may have been corrupted by a poor quality signal.
However, it may also have been corrupted because you are running with so little free space (anything could happen if space runs out)

Assuming you recover the data with TopfHDRW, suggest you delete some large files so that free space is not so low (e.g. identify some long films that you haven't yet watched; delete them and set up a search so that they get recorded when they are next broadcast).

I am working on a program similar to TopfHDRW but I don't expect that will be ready for two months (possibly longer) ie. TopfHDRW is the only recovery mechanism available.

Note: I seem to remember that someone recently (in last 3? months) reported that they didn't format the disk when requested. After they had replaced the capacitors in the PSU, the disk worked without problem. You might also be lucky!

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Re: Toppy asking me to format hard drive from switch on

Post by juwlz »

100949football wrote:Toppy 5800 which has been faithful for years. Must confess HD is almost full (about 15 hours recording space left on 160GB). Switched on tonight and was immediately asked to format HDD yes or no. Cannot access "archive" therefore cannot watch any recorded programmes. Cannot record new ones either?
If it's 8 years old, start with Toppy Repairs

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
100949football
Regular contributor

Re: Toppy asking me to format hard drive from switch on

Post by 100949football »

Many thanks to everyone....capacitors were "broke" - now fixed but hard drive was corrupted so lost everything.

Thanks to all for your help it was invaluable.