For questions, answers and tips aimed at new users, or those thinking about buying a Toppy

Moderators: General, Technical

Andy77

Toppy stuck on one channel - Help!

Post by Andy77 »

Hi,

I have a TF5800 which has been working fine up to now, but earlier today duplicate channels appeared. When a family member rebooted the machine the below message appeared:

"all HDD data will be lost if you press okay"

They cancelled the message, rebooted again and now the toppy is stuck on BBC2 and the remote control is unresponsive.

I've rebooted whilst pressing zero on the remote and this allows me to see folders created for recordings in Altair, but I can't open them or see any other folders.

I'll be hugely grateful if anyone can help me with this problem.

Many Thanks in advance,
Andy.
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Re: Toppy stuck on one channel - Help!

Post by alan_m »

Andy77 wrote:Hi,

"all HDD data will be lost if you press okay"
Andy.

Try turning off at the mains plug for two minutes. This will give your Toppy a cold boot when the power is restored. This doesn't happen if you just put the box into standby
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
Andy77

Post by Andy77 »

I've switched the toppy off at the mains, left it for a couple of minutes and turned it on again, but unfortunately the problem is still occurring.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

You could try using TFDN_USB to install EmptySettings as if it was firmware. (You'll find TFDN_USB in the Topfield folder - the same one as Altair - from the Start menu on your PC.) Search the forums for a link to download EmptySettings.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

If your forum joining date is indicative of the age of your Toppy, it will be needing some new PSU capacitors - urgently (if they've not already been replaced).

I suggest that you switch it off at the mains until it is repaired, otherwise more damage may be done to the HDD and/or mainboard.

See my sig below.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ