General discussion relating to Topfield products for the Australian market

Moderators: General, Technical, Oz mods

kiwiconehead

IDE to SATA converter supplier in Aus

Post by kiwiconehead »

Hi all

Upgrading my Toppy and looking for an IDE to SATA adapter - looked in this thread for the ones that worked and trying to find a supplier here in Aus.

Lindy have them but they are $50, anyone know where to get them at a reasonable price or know of a working local model.

Cheers
sim_roberts
Regular contributor

Post by sim_roberts »

This one works fine - I use it - $5.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537

I'm assuming you want to put a sata in a 5000?
kiwiconehead

Post by kiwiconehead »

sim_roberts wrote:I'm assuming you want to put a sata in a 5000?
Sorry - yes sata into a 5000.

Just about to do the whole power supply repair and replace the HDD which is a little lunched.

Thanks
sim_roberts
Regular contributor

Post by sim_roberts »

OK - you might find that the existing IDE cable might be a little short with the adapter in - I found it was - just by a few millimetres.

...so I just cut the last connector off an old 40 wire IDE cable I had sitting around and used that - not a problem. Set and forget.

It might also work to cut the last connector off an 80 wire IDE cable - I just didn't use one. I think there might be some feedback loop on the 80 wire cable - as I say I didn't use one so can't say with 100% certainty that it would work.
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

sim_roberts wrote:This one works fine - I use it - $5. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537
Looking at the pictures, it appears to be a Sunplus chipset. Can you provide any more info? I'm suspicious of the cheap adapters having tried 2 of them to no avail.

I got mine for considerably more from ebay seller aerocooler, total including shipping ~$30 USD.

I modified my drive mount because I didn't have a spare cable. Pictures on Flickr
kermit
Frequent contributor

Re: IDE to SATA converter supplier in Aus

Post by kermit »

kiwiconehead wrote:Upgrading my Toppy and looking for an IDE to SATA adapter
http://www.msy.com.au/
Cheers Simon
>8-]

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
micko

Post by micko »

Hi all

I'm also looking to upgrade my toppy (5000 MP) hard drive and have questions

Here is the converter i've been looking at
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/127429/CABL ... DSAIDE.asp

Q. Is it the right type of converter ?
Q. Anybody know what chipset it uses ? The link in the first post says "Apparently it is important that a converter uses the Marvell chipset."

Here is the Hard Drive i've been looking at
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/129984/HDD_ ... 20EVDS.asp

It's a 2TB drive and the description says that it's ideal for Set-top boxes

Q. Can anybody confirm that it works with a toppy 5000 MP ?

Also...

Q. Is it ok to use a standard 40pin IDE ribbon cable or does it have to be an 80wire one ? The link in the first post says "it is also important to not use the built-in Toppy IDE cable! Instead one should use a commercial high grade 80-wire IDE cable and (important!) connect it "backwards"

Regards
Wing Nut
Regular contributor

Post by Wing Nut »

kiwiconehead wrote:Upgrading my Toppy and looking for an IDE to SATA adapter .... trying to find a supplier here in Aus. Lindy have them but they are $50, anyone know where to get them at a reasonable price or know of a working local model
Although not located in Australia, Deal Extreme (DX) seem to have what you want for about $5 each (not $50!) post free (SATA-IDE Mini Adapter). I have one in my desk drawer ready for the next upgrade - it's surprisingly tiny. In my experience DX are very reliable with an order progress webpage. Usually a 10 - 14 day delivery.
kiwiconehead

Post by kiwiconehead »

Thanks all

I have one of the dealextreme ones on the way.

My toppy drive hasn't missed a beat since I did the power supply repair but I'll be working away for 5 weeks at a time next year so will need to upgrade for extra space.
Wing Nut
Regular contributor

Post by Wing Nut »

kiwiconehead wrote:I have one of the dealextreme ones on the way.
I'd be interested in how easy all the new bits fit together and also how it performs after the upgrade to SATA. Keep us informed if you can ;)
kermit
Frequent contributor

Post by kermit »

kiwiconehead wrote:trying to find a supplier here in Aus.
Another option: http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/forum ... upply#3686
Cheers Simon
>8-]

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
kiwiconehead

Post by kiwiconehead »

The one from dealextreme turned up yesterday.

I'm off overseas again on Monday so won't have a chance to play with it until I get back beginning of March.
timmydownawell

Post by timmydownawell »

kiwiconehead wrote:The one from dealextreme turned up yesterday.
If it's one like I got from them, stick some double sided tape over the circuit board contacts otherwise the whole thing could short out.
Topfield 7100+
sim_roberts
Regular contributor

Post by sim_roberts »

timmydownawell - you're taking about the solder-side contacts touching the metal casing of the Hard Disk? They certainly are close. I think one of the commenters on the dealextreme site recommends the same.
timmydownawell

Post by timmydownawell »

sim_roberts wrote:timmydownawell - you're taking about the solder-side contacts touching the metal casing of the Hard Disk? They certainly are close. I think one of the commenters on the dealextreme site recommends the same.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Note also someone who posted theirs burst into flames - I reckon it was because it shorted out in this manner, so covering the contacts with some kind of tape would definitely be a good idea.
Topfield 7100+