General discussion relating to Topfield products for the Australian market

Moderators: General, Technical, Oz mods

deangelj
Frequent contributor

How to build TAPs for the 2400

Post by deangelj »

If you have some programming experience, especially C programming, then you too can built TAPs for the 2400. Here's how:

1. You will need a PC say running XP/Vista
2. Download the TAP build environment from Topfield: http://www.topfield.co.kr/include/downl ... win.tar.gz
3. Download the TAP examples and documentation from Topfield: http://www.topfield.co.kr/include/downl ... F-2400.zip
4. You will need to install Cygwin - this is a Unix emulator/build environment for the PC: download from www.cygwin.com. Install into c:\cygwin to make it easier going forward...
5. Next install the TAP Build environment from step 2. This is zipped tarball which must be unpacked within the cygwin environment. So after installing cygwin, start the cygwin bash shell and extract the tarball into c:\cygwin\opt by using this command: tar -xvf
6. Next unpack the TAP examples in a separate area retaining its structure. Look at how the samples are built: essentially there are 2 files that build things: "build" and "Makefile". "build" is a generic build script - you don't need to modify this but it runs the Makefile. The Makefile is specific for each TAP so this is what you edit/create new for your new TAP.
7. You build a TAP by executing "./build" within a bash shell. This will create the TAP file which you then just copy (FTP/HTTP or USB key) to the 2400.

Cheers,
John
kermit
Frequent contributor

Post by kermit »

A note about the 2400 TAP documentation: it is a poor, IMO, rewrite of the 5000 documentation and there are still references to the 5000 in it.
Cheers Simon
>8-]

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
deangelj
Frequent contributor

Post by deangelj »

Very true Simon.
cazlar
Frequent contributor

Post by cazlar »

It's a bit of a shame they've removed the USB TAP functions compared to the 5000 API. Sure, they were buggy as hell in default firmware and thus useless, but now that they were patched and I started to finally use them with my iPhone remote, I find out they no longer exist for the new API. :cry: So looks like it will have to remain a 5k solution only, unless they add it into the API later (unlikely), or I work out a file-based solution (yuck).
kermit
Frequent contributor

Post by kermit »

cazlar wrote:or I work out a file-based solution (yuck).
What about an http solution?
Cheers Simon
>8-]

cazlar
Frequent contributor

Post by cazlar »

That's sort of what I meant. You have to talk to the TAP somehow. You could place the info in a tiny file (say via FTP/HTTP) and have the TAP read it, generate the event and then delete it. Presumably that involves the TAP polling for the file pretty regularly too in order to be responsive. Not sure how much latency there is in that regard though - who knows, it might be OK actually. I guess I'll find out if/when I get a 2400 unless someone else writes it first...

With the USB functions on the 5k though, I can just send a few bytes directly to the TAP (which is triggered via a callback) which generates the event, or sends a few kb of screenshot back the other way (directly as well). Seems "cleaner" to me (though I guess http could allow more flexibility I guess).
deangelj
Frequent contributor

Post by deangelj »

I've written a prototype socket listener tap which will do the same thing cazlar. So you could adapt it to send it any info to execute... No need for files, it just reads the data over the network and you do something with it.
cazlar
Frequent contributor

Post by cazlar »

deangelj wrote:I've written a prototype socket listener tap
Woohoo! :D

If that is possible, then I take back all the above. Then it is even better - the iPhone app can talk to the box directly without the Mac in the middle doing the interpreting :)
kermit
Frequent contributor

Post by kermit »

cazlar wrote:Woohoo! :D

If that is possible, then I take back all the above. Then it is even better - the iPhone app can talk to the box directly without the Mac in the middle doing the interpreting :)
John, I think you've got your first customer. Nathan I could be you first iPhone app customer if this works they way I'd like it to. Have you seen EyeTV's just announced iPhone app?
Cheers Simon
>8-]

cazlar
Frequent contributor

Post by cazlar »

Yeah, the EyeTV app looks slick but haven't tried it yet.

I don't suppose the 2400 has Bonjour (zeroconf) built in? One can always hope...
kermit
Frequent contributor

Post by kermit »

cazlar wrote:I don't suppose the 2400 has Bonjour (zeroconf) built in?
:lol: How user friendly would it be if it did.
Cheers Simon
>8-]

cazlar
Frequent contributor

Post by cazlar »

Maybe I'm just slow but upon reading John's post on DTVinfo, I've only just realised that the 2400 is actually linux-based, and if you can get "forbidden" code to run using that jailbreak method, possibly you could incorporate an mDNS server in your TAP anyway if it isn't a feature of the box (not sure how much of a job that would be though).