A space for discussions about AV gear and other topics of broad interest to Toppy users

Moderators: General, Technical

albertd
Frequent contributor

Very simple IR-programmable remote

Post by albertd »

I am wondering about trying to get a programmable remote which can be programmed by pointing other remotes at it and squirting the required codes into it. Does such a thing exist?

Basically, what I want to be able to do is have a single remote which will turn my Panasonic TV on and off and control its volume and mute, while at the same time providing control of the play, stop and pause functions of my TF5800.

Many other functions would just cause confusion to my setup's other user who struggles with using the multiple remotes which we currently have (even just two of them!).
Now toppyless. 2/4/2018
Laser
Frequent contributor

Post by Laser »

You used to be able to get a simple "learning remote" where you tell each button what to do by teaching it from other remote(s) button(s). They're were cheap, but can be tedious to set up. You hardly ever see these now. You might find one in Poundland.

You can get easier to set up ones which (mostly) already know the codes for your kit and have the concept of switching between multiple devices on the one remote. To my mind this is barely better than having multiple remotes, it's just tidier on the sofa.

Many of those have evolved into being intelligent about realising that certain buttons should be directed at certain pieces of kit, removing the need to switch between device modes. Some of these can learn additional button codes. One4All, John Lewis, and others do something like this.

The you can have fancy ones like One4All Xsight and Logitech Harmony which have the concept of "activities" (Watch TV, Watch Blu-ray, Listen To Radio, etc.) where it can power the devices on & off and set inputs etc, and you can configure each button as you wish within a given activity. This is like a multiple-function version of what you are asking for. They generally don't need to learn codes (although they can) and use an on-line set-up system which defaults to mostly what you want without having to specify everything. They are relatively expensive though and can be a bit daunting to set up.

I use an older model Harmony because I have several different bits of kit and assorted customised buttons. I recently tentatively suggested a friend should look at them and, despite getting frustrated with the configuration tool because his set-up was a little unconventional, got it set up to his liking with my help. His wife was delighted with the simplicity of the end result.

If you really only ever watch TV using the Toppy and never do anything else (DVD player, TV without Toppy, games console, etc.) then I'd suggest a Harmony is over the top. Otherwise they are really good when set up properly.
TF5800 Black Panther with 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD FW 5.13.65 (Patched)
TAPs: MS6.6, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, SecCacheUK, EIT_Sub, UKSubtitle, SDS
TV: Pioneer PDP-4280XD. AVR: Denon AVR-X2600H. Transmitter: Tacolneston
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

Thanks Laser.

As I may not have made clear, I am not looking to replace the various remotes which we have for my own use, but my partner never uses them on her own as she cannot cope with them, even in the simplest way.

A simple remote which does only what I described above could be helpful, even though not controlling all functions.
Now toppyless. 2/4/2018
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

albertd wrote:Thanks Laser.

As I may not have made clear, I am not looking to replace the various remotes which we have for my own use, but my partner never uses them on her own as she cannot cope with them, even in the simplest way.

A simple remote which does only what I described above could be helpful, even though not controlling all functions.
such as....
http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4

Try looking at web sites aimed at the disabled and web sites related to common old age disorders. They often sell minimalist phones/remotes etc. for those who cannot cope with the tiny buttons on modern equipment and/or for those who now find technology confusing.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

alan_m wrote:such as....http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4
Thanks Alan that looks like just what I am looking for, if it is still available.

If I can program the upper part from the TV remote and the lower part from the Toppy remote that would do exactly what I want.
Last edited by albertd on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now toppyless. 2/4/2018
chris_s
Frequent contributor

Post by chris_s »

I have a couple of Philips simple remotes that I set up for my late father so that the downstairs one operated the downstairs TV and the upstairs one the upstairs TV, both in exactly the same way: I took them apart and put plastic stickers over the contacts of all of the buttons I didn't want to function (such as AV). They are not learning ones, but I can dig them out if any use to you.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

Thank you Chris, I have no way of knowing if they would work with the TV and the Toppy at the same time.

For now, I have ordered the one which Alan suggested, it is not that expensive so not a great loss if it is no go and excellent if it does the job.

I will report back when I have had a chance to play with it.
Now toppyless. 2/4/2018
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

After a bit of delay in delivery due to them being out of stock, I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4 as suggested by Alan and it works a treat.

Using the existing remotes to program it, I have the power and volume buttons controlling the TV as well as the AV button operating its mute. All the white buttons control the Toppy with their normal functions and I have programmed the two grey channel buttons to be the up and down arrow buttons on the Toppy.

That covers all that I need to have for this purpose.

Thanks again Alan for your suggestion.
Now toppyless. 2/4/2018