For discussions related to MyStuff and associated TAPs, including eit2mei and MEI Search

Moderator: Technical

fhjones
Frequent contributor

MyStuff crashed at last start-up error message

Post by fhjones »

Every time our TF5810 boots up it displays the MyStuff crashed at last start-up error mesage, and I have to go through the Rescue procedure. MyStuff then loads, showing the L roundel, but it disappears without changing to an S.

Everything then works as it should, except that the EPG is in native form, not the MyStuff version.

The system files and MyStuff check out OK using Geoff's TopManager (thanks Geoff), but searches.dat file is missing.

I have tried re-installing MyStuff using Geoff's installer, and re-setting to factory settings. I've also switched it off at the mains for a while before re-booting, but the problem persists.

Andyfras did a re-cap job a few years ago (quite a few!), and I put a new front panel battery in less than a year ago.

Any ideas?
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +UUu
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 12/1/21
â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Sounds like you've had a disk corruption.

Try running \ProgramFiles\Utilities\fsCheck to see what it says. If it doesn't say the disk is badly corrupted, you can save the log to a file and use TM Display to collect it. Please post in the fsCheck Reports thread (normally, I don't recommend writing files to a corrupted disk but, as you have already reinstalled MS, another file on the disk isn't likely to cause too much of an issue).

Also, post a MyInfo log (in this thread)

MS typically enters Recovery mode if its detects that MS didn't startup correctly e.g. a reboot during the start. However, it also enters Recovery Mode when it doesn't see an EPG file containing current info (i.e. EPG2MEI isn't working).

Suggest you post the requested info and wait for further advice before changing anything.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

When I've had a similar problems (several times!), I've found that MS seems to have problems accessing the files themselves on disk . So I've renamed them in Antares to something like .old and then copied over the backup files manually to the appropriate directory and renamed them. This means that the files now occupy a different part of the disk. I can then ignore the recovery option (as I've already done it manually) and it works fine
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

Thank you for your reply Geoff.
Attached is my MyInfo log.
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 12/1/2021 at 12:03

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 60 seconds from boot

System ID: 457
TV Output: Type = PAL, Video = RGB
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.15.09T dated Sep 02 2010
Base firmware version: 5.15.09

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: PcControl B1.4 : Toppy control from PC
Slot 1: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 2: QuickJump 1.72 : Jump with the coloured buttons
Slot 3: MyStuff 6.6 : UI Replacement
Slot 4: PruneEPG 1.0 : Program to remove unnecessary entries from the EIT table
Slot 5: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slot 6: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slot 7: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slot 8: MHEG On/Off A3 : MHEG control
Slot 9: Font Manager 1.0d : Manage TAP Fonts
Slot 10: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slots 11 - 15 not used

Installed patch list:- Ab Af Bf Bq C0 Ce Ck Cp Cw De Ec Ef Eg Em Ep Er Es Ev F Fm Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot Pc Pe R Ra Rh Rm Rp Rs S Sd Sf Sl Sr Sx Td Te Tf Tp Tq Tt U Uu Vr Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 modified thus: +U+Uu
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html ... tUUuVrXwXl
Extra patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=UUu

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 10 TV channels and 0 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 44 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 25,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 47 are: 1, 2, 9, 231,

Interactive Off
Timeshift Off

Memory - Free: 10 MB, Available: 10 MB
Disk - Total: 932 GB, Free: 847 GB

40 recordings (51 GB) + 0 deleted (0 GB) in 9 folders (+ 0 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:1 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile ... ditprofile
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 12/1/21
â„¢
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

Thank you for your suggestion YorkshireJumbo.

I understand the gist of what you are saying and I could try your solution, but which files are you referring to?
â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Your fsCheck log shows that the disk is physically sound and that the file system isn't corrupted.

Your MyInfo log shows that the taps are running as expected.
It also shows that you have very few channels configured (was this by choice?)

So, it looks as though it is a software error (running GCBMyStuffInstaller won't have touched the MS .dat files)
Suggest you
1) Boot the toppy tapless ( Hold/repeatedly press 0 until the picture shows).
2) Using the remote, press Archive, <<, select/enter Auto Start, select/run EPG2MEI
3) Wait 25 mins while it rebuilds the EPG and then reboot normally.
4) If the reboot wants to enter recovery mode, select No this time and let it come up.

If you still have issues, you probably have a corrupt MS data file. Reboot the toppy and enter Recovery Mode. Choose a date before you started getting these problems

If you can't choose a recovery date far enough back, do the following
5) Run TM, and Connection Browse to \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff
6) Position to EACH .dat file and rename it (press F2) to .datx ; this hides it from MS while still allowing it to be restored)
7) Reboot the toppy and let MS recreate the files.

Entering Recovery Mode
You should be able to enter this by choosing Z10 in the MyStuff Options (but when I tried it on my Test Toppy, it said there were "no backups to restore"). Strange as I can see the files using Connection| Browse. i.e. try entering it via a reboot rather than using Z10.

Geoff
TopManager program
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

Thank you for your detailed suggestions Geoff. I'm pleased that the disk is OK.

I had high hopes for your first suggestion, but alas, it didn't work :cry: .

I then rebooted the Toppy and went into recovery mode. The earliest date that I was offered was the 4th January. I tried that and left it for a while, but the only EPG displayed was still the native Topfield one.

I have just tried your last suggestion and I've left the machine to collect the EPG data. If it doesn't work I am considering re-formatting the HDD. I would prefer to get to the bottom of the problem, but it's driving me mad :evil: .
â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Have you tried disconnecting the power for 2 minutes to give the box a hard reset?

Geoff
TopManager program
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Rather than reformat, which will destroy any recordings and setting you have, try renaming then adding the MyStuff .dat files from backup. If you look in the MS backups folder using Antares, you can easily work out which files it backs up (and therefore which files you should replace), as it keeps the name and adds a datestring to the name. Geoff’s instructions using TM do much the same and probably more reliably - I hadn’t realised that functionality was there so I will try it next time. I don’t think there’s a need to go to the oldest backup if it’s the problem I have had - I just use the most recent one.
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Should you decide to reformat the disk, use the TM Snapshots Take mechanism first to copy the current ProgramFiles directory to the PC. This provides a means of selectively restoring files after the reformat (i.e. some of the MS data files/backups). Note: you can probably recover your Searches manually from the MS Backup directory.

You don't have many recordings so, if these are required, you could probably transfer them to the pc using Antares and restore after the reformat. Alternatively, you could perhaps just binge watch them so they didn't need to be preserved.

Alternatively, attach the disk to the pc and use TopfHDRW to copy them off quickly Remember to reformat in the toppy and not by using TopfHDRW. Also use TM Snapshot for the ProgramFiles (TopfHDRW doesn't handle small files properly)

Geoff
TopManager program
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

Thank you for your suggestions Geoff and YorkshireJumbo.

I decided to reformat before your messages arrived, so I couldn't try your most recent suggestions.

I installed MyStuff after reformatting the HDD and left the Toppy to give it time to re-populate the EPG. After an hour it was just the same. All was well, except that the EPG was in the native Topfield format.

Next I did a factory reset and a reformat, but the same thing happened when I installed MyStuff

I then did a factory reset and a reformat, but when I installed MyStuff I included the option to re-install the firmware.

I left it for an hour, but there was no change :cry: . :D Better to laugh than cry.

Back to your question about the number of channels that I've got on the machine Geoff. The reason why I have few channels is I am aware that TF5810s can have problems with too many channels, so I deleted all the ones that I am unlikely to watch.

I wonder if I have overdone it. Is it possible that EPG2MEI doesn't work if there are too few channels?

I'll put some more channels on the machine later and let you know how it gets on.

Thanks again.
â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

The number of channels shouldn't matter.

You don't need to be so drastic on channel pruning as PruneEPG (provide by the MS installer) discards unwanted data. I have getting on for about 100 channels on my system.

Suggest you look in \ProgramFiles\
Check that EPG.mei exists, has todays date and is a reasonable size (mine is 3500Kb but yours will be much smaller as you have significantly fewer channels).
You can double click it to display the file; it should have entries like
000176|202101120600|202101120915|1|Breakfast|||||||The latest news, sport, business and weather from the BBC's Breakf...

If EPG.mei exists, has today's date, and contains data then this shows that EPG2MEI is producing the file for MS.
MS should always pick this file up because EPG2MEI tells it immediately when a new file is available and, in the absence of a message, MS periodically looks on the disk to see if the file exists.

Geoff
TopManager program
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

EPG.mei exists Geoff. It is dated 10:56 today and it is 1KB in size. It has no contents.

I have tried turning the machine off at the mains and leaving it for a while before turning it on again several times, but it makes no difference. The EPG is displayed in the native Topfield format.

The downside of the Topfield EPG is that MyStuff searches aren't available, but the main issue is that the box isn't working properly. I can't imagine what hardware problem might be the cause of the issue, but I don't know much :( .
â„¢
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

If EPG2MEI is empty then that is why MyStuff is only showing a native EPG.

Please post your \ProgramFiles\Settings\EPG2MEI.ini file.

After posting, edit the file and replace it's contents with

Code: Select all

# File updated by  Channel Organiser B2.1 on 27/12/2020 at 19&#58;58

&#91;Control&#93;
Output=EPG  # Note&#58; this is temporary and the output will eventually be EPG.mei
EuroDST
External=MyStuff
Demangle
MergeExt
UseExtGenre
#AddExtendedInfo
StripDups
Debug=Off
DescSeparator=¬
DescTerminator=

&#91;Restrict&#93;

Save the file and reboot.
Check EPG2MEI after 30 minutes.

How are you doing the channel scans?
Are you experiencing any other issues besides this EPG problem?

Geoff
TopManager program
fhjones
Frequent contributor

Post by fhjones »

Thank you for your suggestion Geoff.

Before it arrived I tried another reformat of the HDD and install of MyStuff without doing a factory reset. EPG.mei has now populated and the MyStuff EPG is present :D .

I don't know how long it will stay that way, but it's there for the time being at least.

If it reverts to the Topfield EPG I will try your suggestion, but I would like to see how it goes first.

I wish that I knew enough to be able to explain what is going on :? .
â„¢