For discussions related to MyStuff and associated TAPs, including eit2mei and MEI Search

Moderator: Technical

Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

@BobD

Thanks for the explanation about the Nag.
Strange that I've never seen it.
My toppy shuts down overnight so the nag "24 hours after the last nag" wouldn't ever occur but I would have expected to receive the first nag.

Should you ever get around to doing some more work on it, I'd like to see the "entering recovery mode at boot" fixed. This may work fine for an "Active" toppy but it also appears when the EPG is out of date e.g. if the toppy hasn't run in the last 8 days. In this case, all MS needs to do is wait for a new EPG file; as it is, people "panic" because they think something has really gone wrong with it.

There are probably other things I could come up with but there is no point thinking about them until you have decided whether or not you want to start playing with it again!.

Cheers
Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
Laser
Frequent contributor

Post by Laser »

BobD wrote:Who would have thought that the Toppy and MyStuff would still be going strong (relatively speaking anyway) after so many years?
If you make something better* than everyone else, people will use it and be reluctant to abandon it. I'm not shocked that your excellent MyStuff has stood the test of time, I'm more surprised that other industry players haven't long since copied parts of its functionality to lure people to their equipment. Another sad case of doing the bare minimum rather than trying to lead.

Sadly, I think the Toppy hardware failing is what will ultimately push me away. I'm already running a Frankenstein's monster hybrid of my own and a friend's old machine, not to mention the inevitable PSU repairs. :|

(*I know, history is littered with things that were technically superior but never took off. That's usually because the alternative was "better" in some other, more influential way.)
TF5800 Black Panther with 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD FW 5.13.65 (Patched)
TAPs: MS6.6, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, SecCacheUK, EIT_Sub, UKSubtitle, SDS
TV: Pioneer PDP-4280XD. AVR: Denon AVR-X2600H. Transmitter: Tacolneston
munk
Regular contributor

Post by munk »

Just to say I've seen the nag but it's only barely a 'nag', just a single line in the archive page. I remember the same nag back 5(?) yrs ago when MyStuff was still just on the edge of being at the end of development and it was fixed back then with a much longer expiry date on it and hey presto that date has now arrived!

Anyway I'm not bothered by the nag screen as it is, and wouldn't think of asking for it to be removed, it doesn't affect the utility of MyStuff really so that's fine.

Thanks to BobD for the excellent work on MyStuff, I'm sure I've said it before and I'll say it again now but it is a fantastic thing, so much so that it's stopping me from 'upgrading' to the more modern OpenVix boxes now!

Merry Xmas everybody. :)
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs:PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; TSSaver v0.5; UK Subtitle 1.9;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 10/06/21
bugbear
Frequent contributor

Post by bugbear »

BobD wrote:So according to the code, the nags appear the first time you access the Archive or the Now&Next view (provided that access is at least 10 minutes after MS started), and then again on every Archive/ Now&Next access that occurs at least 24 hours after the last nag.
A MASSIVE thank you for creating MyStuff. It is still my main mode of viewing TV.

The only thing that is going to force me off it is either the physical demise of the hardware, or the proliferation of HD.

I do have a minor feature request - handling of accents in EPG/listing. e.g. Fiancé always ends up looking ugly. (I did say it was minor).

If you can remove the nag, that'd be lovely.

But thank you either way.

BugBear
I think the hard thing about all these tools is that it takes a fair amount of effort to become proficient.

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16
gomezz
Frequent contributor

Post by gomezz »

bugbear wrote:the proliferation of HD
That boat sailed, did a few world cruises and docked again many years ago now.
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CbCfCtDEgEmEvEzIMPePsVdZ
TAPs: Power Down 0.75; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.4; EPG2MEI v0.96;
Extend v1.7; EIT Sub v0.6; mei2archive BETA 3.8l6; Font Manager 1.0d; (Power Restore V0.7.3b)
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

gomezz wrote:
bugbear wrote:the proliferation of HD
That boat sailed, did a few world cruises and docked again many years ago now.
Current boxes and AV amps are now supporting 4/8K TV.
SD on terrestrail is likely at some time to move to T2 MUXs which cannot be decoded by a Toppy.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
gomezz
Frequent contributor

Post by gomezz »

My suggestion was to leave one MUX as T1 hosting the SD versions of the main channels (BBC1, ITV etc) but I think that would now be of use to a rapidly decreasing number of users and can no longer be a justifiable interim step.
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CbCfCtDEgEmEvEzIMPePsVdZ
TAPs: Power Down 0.75; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.4; EPG2MEI v0.96;
Extend v1.7; EIT Sub v0.6; mei2archive BETA 3.8l6; Font Manager 1.0d; (Power Restore V0.7.3b)
philbrown
Regular contributor

Post by philbrown »

Just to confirm, I get the nags as well on a 'facelift'. As has been said just a minor inconenience.

About the same time my timers and searches evaporated and I was worried they were connected but of course not as there is nothing functional about the expiry, just a message.

I tried to restore but several archives were the same so just rebuilt my timers and searches. I did run fs Check but the results were identical to 9 months ago.

Just one of those glitches I guess.

Incidentally my toppy sits near a Humax FVP5000; gosh its awful but was cheap in John Lewis outlet; just gets turned on to help friends who have the same or if I need another timer. So another thanks to BobD. One day I am going to be forced to get into Enigma or something.

Phil
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Surfer v0.14; SecCache (UK) v0.4; WSSkiller V2.12d; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; (MyInfo B5.6); MyStuff 6.6; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG Control B2.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 01/01/21
kevsterci
Frequent contributor

Post by kevsterci »

Noticed mine had 'expired' too! Still can't beat MyStuff!
TF5800 x5,Plus TF5810 x2 TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended, Sy MyStuff 6.6 on all ;TAPs on ALL: EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3