For discussions related to MyStuff and associated TAPs, including eit2mei and MEI Search

Moderator: Technical

Laser
Frequent contributor

MyStuff expired?

Post by Laser »

The other day I found my Toppy in an odd state of standby with no front panel display at all. I feared it had finally died, but a simple reboot fixed it and it's now working fine. Ever since, however, the first time asking for programme info gives a message along the lines of "This version of MyStuff is no longer supported. It will keep working but you should upgrade"

Is this a coincidence? Are other people seeing this message or is something wrong with my installation? And is there any way to turn it off?
TF5800 Black Panther with 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD FW 5.13.65 (Patched)
TAPs: MS6.6, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, SecCacheUK, EIT_Sub, UKSubtitle, SDS
TV: Pioneer PDP-4280XD. AVR: Denon AVR-X2600H. Transmitter: Tacolneston
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

Sounds like the box still isn't quite "right".

Is MS6.6 definitely the version you're now running.

Maybe a Myinfo log might shed some light.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Mine has started to display the same the first time you fire up the archive after starting it - the expiration date was 12/12/20. But then mine crashed last night and I've had to reinstall everything from backups (again!). It still displays the message.
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
mp_york
Regular contributor

Post by mp_york »

I also the had same message displayed.
2xTF5800 1TB Black. TAPs: MyStuff.
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

YorkshireJumbo wrote:Mine has started to display the same the first time you fire up the archive after starting it - the expiration date was 12/12/20. But then mine crashed last night and I've had to reinstall everything from backups (again!). It still displays the message.
All versions of Mystuff used to have an expiry date and I seem to remember that for the early versions Mystuff stopped working after that date BUT after one occurrence where it stopped working and a new version wasn’t available in time the behaviour was changed so that older versions of Mystuff continued to work after the expiry nag screen appeared. Its a long time since I jumped ship to the Enigma 2 route but wasn’t the very last version of Mystuff meant to have no expiry? If the message is now appearing on that version perhaps the expiry message was set so far in advance at that time that the designer expected the Toppy boxes to be no longer used. The last version of Mystuff was probably issued 6 to 7 years ago. The Toppy design is probably getting to it's 17th birthday which for a set top box at the stage where it it should be getting its old age pension.

The nag screen that Mystuff has expired should not stop anything working (albeit the nag screen itself may be annoying)
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

I don't get ( and never have) any messages about expiry, if I scroll through the My Stuff "about" screens the last screen has the statement,
This version will not be eligible for technical support after 12/12/20
No other problems
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 16/12/20
Tactilis
Regular contributor

Post by Tactilis »

Nag message not seen here (yet).

But from the strings in the .tap file:

"This version will not be eligible for technical support after %02d/%02d/%d"

and

"This version of MyStuff is now out of date.
Whilst it will continue to function, it is no longer eligible for technical support."

I wonder what is triggering it for some people but not others?
TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; Goldfish 0.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 12/8/13
?
Laser
Frequent contributor

Post by Laser »

Curious why it differs between people.

At first mine was giving a general message in the pop-up program info box. Now it has switched to giving the dated (12/12/20) message in the program description at the top of the EPG (& archive?) view.

Neither case seems to affect the functionality beyond that first display on each power-up.

In fairness, I doubt it has been "eligible for technical support" for quite some time now! :lol:
Last edited by Laser on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TF5800 Black Panther with 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD FW 5.13.65 (Patched)
TAPs: MS6.6, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, SecCacheUK, EIT_Sub, UKSubtitle, SDS
TV: Pioneer PDP-4280XD. AVR: Denon AVR-X2600H. Transmitter: Tacolneston
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

I don't see it here

This might be possibly because I don't shut down after the 07:00 EPG Scan (perhaps you only get the message within a certain number of minutes after startup?)

I've emailed BobD but no response yet.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

You might get some relief from the program description nag by firing up a hex editor (HxD is recommended) and placing a 00 byte value over the T at the start of the string. This may leave a blank line, but won't be as distracting.

I suspect that, like me, BobD is now completely unable to compile and build any TAPs.
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

Geoff Bacon wrote:I don't see it here

This might be possibly because I don't shut down after the 07:00 EPG Scan (perhaps you only get the message within a certain number of minutes after startup?)

I've emailed BobD but no response yet.

Geoff
You may be on to something Geoff, mine only shuts down for 20 mins a day, auto power off 06.00 then on at 06.20 to perform a EPG scan, doesn't shut down again untill the next day, so I never see the initial start up display.
The only way I can see the message is to press the PIP button 5 times to access an about page for MyStuff. (my PIP is set to Archive Description Toggle option S5)
So not intrusive at all for me. :wink:
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
BobD
MyStuff Team

Post by BobD »

Yeah this message was baked into the last release and set to trigger at some unimaginable time in the future, by which time a new version would have been released with a later date. Obviously that didn’t happen :)

I was myself surprised when the message started appearing on my tv! I can’t remember the logic of when/ how often it appears (I will check the code later) but all it does is display one of these messages occasionally. There is no change to or impact on functionality.

As has been pointed out, one version did actually expire just before a new one was released, and we did get some stick for that even though it was entirely by accident. Since then the expiry is purely in terms of the display of this message.

I doubt it is worth trying to compile a new version just to remove this message (even just for me!).

If one day I get completely bored, have many hours to spend on compiler errors, and have some ideas for new features, then maybe I will have a go, but I doubt it.

Who would have thought that the Toppy and MyStuff would still be going strong (relatively speaking anyway) after so many years?
FW: ChunkyWizard Recommended
TAPs:
MyStuff (always one version ahead of everyone else!), and recommended support TAPS
MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

@BobD

Thanks for responding and nice to hear from you again.
Just a bit strange that I'm not seeing the message as I use the toppy for nearly everything.

It's obviously not a show stopper but it would be nice to remove it if you ever get time e.g. in a lockdown and you've run out of jigsaws!

Merry Christmas

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
BobD
MyStuff Team

Post by BobD »

So according to the code, the nags appear the first time you access the Archive or the Now&Next view (provided that access is at least 10 minutes after MS started), and then again on every Archive/ Now&Next access that occurs at least 24 hours after the last nag.

No idea why that means some people aren't seeing it, but can't be bothered to investigate to find out :)

I have no idea how much effort another compile would be, but I would imagine it could be a very frustrating experience.

If people want to list some relatively easy feature requests (nothing too complicated, as it has been a long time since I have properly looked at the code), then I may (I repeat, *may*) consider trying it at some point (if I ever get enough free time - which seems unlikely). I have always assumed that there are very, very few people still using MS these days.

@Geoff - your email didn't arrive, so i think there is something amiss with that email account. (The bobdsmystuff.co.uk account has not received any emails for a while, which could be valid or it could be a problem. Or did you use my private one?)

And yes, Happy Christmas to everyone. Hopefully next year will be a more pleasant one (although Brexit might make that unlikely!)

[Edit] Found and fixed the problem with that email account, and so now your email has arrived.
FW: ChunkyWizard Recommended
TAPs:
MyStuff (always one version ahead of everyone else!), and recommended support TAPS
MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

@BodD
Good to see your still around, just like to say thanks again to you and the team for MyStuff. 8)
Excellent bit of user friendly software was years ahead of it's time and still ahead of the pack, just a pity Topfield failed to develop the 56800/5810, a modern HD version with LAN access and MyStuff would be a dream machine :mrgreen:

Edit
If you were to compile another version and need any testing done I have 2 spare 5800's setup with MyStuff 6.6 and I'm quite happy to test if needed.

Jimi