For discussions related to MyStuff and associated TAPs, including eit2mei and MEI Search

Moderator: Technical

Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

GCB MyStuff Installer 2.0

Google is forcing web site owners to convert their sites to "New Google Sites" (NGS); the GeeCeeBee web site is using what is now called "Classic Google Sites".
One of the main changes is that file attachments cannot be used in NGS; they have to be stored/accessed on a "Google Drive". This means that files can't be referenced by familiar historic names. For example, "http://www.GeeCeeBee.co.uk/updates_4/Freeview.dat" now has to accessed using an id of "1g8OjvD2NOiCrym878lEEFORgtIxWwytx" (even more obscure than the historic name!).

Although the conversion to New Google Sites has been performed, the site has not yet been published.

To aid the switch to the new site, I have created version 2 of the installer (on the GeeCeeBee website)

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Well done for persevering Geoff.

I don't understand Google's reasoning with New Google Sites; it seems to be deliberately crippling everything that worked well on the original sites, specifically tables and file storage.

I'm holding out as long as possible.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Thanks Andy

I would have held out longer but lockdown was a good opportunity to convert as I couldn't go anywhere. It would probably be easier to have gone with another provider but google is free and I also need to convert a ukulele site. The hardest bit was working out how to get my programs to access files on google drive without hard coding in the file ids; I suspect it is a bit easier if you are just accessing google drive from the web site. I must admit that I thought that the original Google Sites was restricted, the new system is worse!.

While I have converted the site, it hasn't yet been made live - I'm giving users the ability to access the new google drive files first as there doesn't seem to be an option to go back!

One thing you might want to bear in mind is that google doesn't index anything you put in an "embed" section.

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21