For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Chimpo

[Help please] HDD upgrade problems

Post by Chimpo »

Hi

I hope someone can help me with this. I want to upgrade my 5800's hard drive from the original 250GB one.

I bought

- a Startech IDE to SATA converter (on the working list)
- a Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD
- a Turbosat bridge module (see below as to why)

I fitted the Startech and Samsung units, and the Toppy didn't see the drive (recording and format options in the menu are greyed out). I tried a new cable to connect the Startech up to the Toppy, since it was all pretty tight with the Toppy's one. Still nothing. Back to the original HDD, everything works fine.

So, I plugged the Samsung HDD into my PC (W7 x64) and it "saw" the drive, so I didn't do anything more there. I figured it must tbe the converter that was wrong, so ordered the Turbosat model (I liked the fact that it was designed to fit). I installed everything fine, but still nothing - no format, no recording option...

Can anyone help? I've run out of ideas!

thanks
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Slow down!
  • Does your Toppy work with the IDE cable + 250GB IDE Drive ?
  • Does the Toppy work with the Startech adapter and the SHORT IDE cable? This would mean that the drive could NOT sit on its proper cradle (as the IDE cable is too short) and would have to be put somewhere SAFE and AWAY from the PSU just for testing purposes.
  • Is the Turbosat adapter bi-directional? If so, then you'll obviously need to switch from one mode to the other?
  • What is the Toppy firmware? Has it been patched with the [H] patch?
PS Make sure that you attach the IDE cable to the Startech adapter correctly, i.e. the RIGHT WAY UP.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

Was the Toppy working before you started, or had the old drive failed?
If it had, you may also need to change the capacitors in the PSU (or get somebody else to do it) to get any drive working in it.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Chimpo

Post by Chimpo »

Hi jumbo, hi juwlz

Thank you both for your replies. Now, one question at a time, slowly...!

- Does your Toppy work with the IDE cable + 250GB IDE Drive ? [Yes - I keep re-installing this to keep wife and kid happy!]

- Does the Toppy work with the Startech adapter and the SHORT IDE cable? This would mean that the drive could NOT sit on its proper cradle (as the IDE cable is too short) and would have to be put somewhere SAFE and AWAY from the PSU just for testing purposes.

[Understood. No, it doesn't work with the Startech and the short IDE cable (or indeed a longer one that I canniblised from an old PC and punched the blank out of) - that's why I got the Turbosat adapter after 'testing' the HD in the PC (I didn't do anything beyond hooking it up and seeing a drive was recognised, nothing in BIOS etc)]

Is the Turbosat adapter bi-directional? If so, then you'll obviously need to switch from one mode to the other? [No, afaik it isn't - there's only one way of installing it]
What is the Toppy firmware? Has it been patched with the [H] patch? It is 5.13.65T. I also run the latest MyStuff (6.2) with the standard TAPs it includes. I'm not aware of whether that's patched or not. Where can I find out moer about this?]

- PS - make sure you attach the IDE cable the right way up [with the Turbosat kit, at least, there is only one way it fits]

- Was the Toppy working before you started, or had the old drive failed? [Yes, and it continues to work with the old drive]

thanks again for your responses.

C
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Your toppy configuration is saved by the MyInfo tap into \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt" - you need to copy this back to your pc using Altair (assuming USB) and then cut and paste it into this thread. Alternatively, you could use the "Display|myInfo Log" option in my TopManager program (link in signature).

If you don't already have Altair on your system then you will need to load the Antares DLL (this is the only one that will run on Windows 7 64 bit).

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
Chimpo

Post by Chimpo »

Hi there

Thanks for your message. Here's the log from earlier this evening:

MyInfo B5.5 Logging settings etc on: 18/1/2011 at 19:30

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 60 seconds from boot

System ID: 456
TV Output: Type = Auto, Video = RGB, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 1: MyStuff 6.3 : UI Replacement
Slot 2: Font Manager 1.0d : Manage TAP Fonts
Slot 3: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slot 4: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slot 5: MyInfo B5.5 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slot 6: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slots 7 - 15 not used

Installed patch list:- Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Fm Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc Pe R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 modified thus: -Sy+Pe
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html ... TsVrXpXwXl
Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=Sy
Extra patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=Pe

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 78 TV channels and 24 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 22 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 28, 33, 102, 103,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 25 are: 1, 2, 7, 70, 80, 105,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 28 are: 9, 41, 42, 71, 81, 301, 303, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 29 are: 12, 15, 18, 21, 22, 24, 36, 40, 85, 89, 90, 94, 96, 99, 108, 199, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 718, 722,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 32 are: 10, 16, 17, 20, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31, 34, 35, 38, 43, 72, 92, 93, 101, 104, 109, 189, 191, 192, 307, 308, 309, 724, 727, 728,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 34 are: 11, 19, 25, 29, 32, 37, 44, 82, 84, 87, 95, 97, 98, 306, 723, 725,

Interactive On
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 12 MB, Available: 11 MB
Disk - Total: 149 GB, Free: 53 GB

277 recordings (98 GB) + 0 deleted (0 GB) in 14 folders (+ 1 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:1 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile ... ditprofile
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.5; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 18/1/11
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

OK. It seems your patched firmware does indeed have the [H] which was NOT the one I meant in the first place; It was the [D] patch which is designed to give the Toppy more time to detect the hard disk after a software reboot. However, I believe that your problem is either a faulty PSU or a faulty hard drive and although very unlikely but remotely possible, both! It is easy to check the voltages on the PSU, and, if within tolerance, a faulty hard drive is the only other candidate. The fact that the drive is recognised by the PC is irrelevant as the PC is far more fault tolerant than the Toppy. Is the drive new? If the PSU proves to be ok then return the drive it and get a replacement. Make sure that you note the serial number and tell the seller about it so that they won't be tempted to send the same one back!

PS You could of course try patching the existing firmware with the [D] patch as well to see if that makes any difference.
Chimpo

Post by Chimpo »

Hi

Thanks for that. I will check the voltages but don't have the kit to do that at present so will need to get tooled up. The drive is brand new.

C
billmars
Frequent contributor

Post by billmars »

From another thread:-
Everything went smoothly, with the exception that I did not attach the power lead to the Newlink SATA adaptor. Embarassed

After realising my mistake (via much cursing of Samsung for making faulty drives, and using TopHDRW to establish that Samsung make working drives after all) and plugging the power cord into the adaptor, everything is good.
I know you're not using a Newlink adaptor, but does the Startech adaptor need a power supply? And is it fitted?
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious!
BM
Firmware
5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

billmars wrote:I know you're not using a Newlink adaptor, but does the Startech adaptor need a power supply? And is it fitted?
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious!
A very good point overlooked by supposedly "helpful" people :oops: All these adapters do have a power supply requirement.
Chimpo

Post by Chimpo »

Thanks - it's a fair point!

I have wondered whether the drive was getting power through some quirk in the cabling (without the multimeter I think it's difficult to tell for sure). However, the Turbosat module definitely has a power connection - I can't recall the situation with the Startech and I'm away from the unit right now.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Chimpo, I'll throw in my tuppence worth, if you get back to read this.

I was upgrading my toppy recently with a WD 1TB 3.5" sata drive and startech adapter. I could not get the toppy to see the drive as the format option was greyed out.

I do know when I first connected the toppy IDE cable to the startech adapter I fitted it the wrong way round (upside down).

I then tested the drive in my PC and could see it in bios but was showing 0.0MB. I could not see the drive in windows though so I figured the drive was faulty.

I then tried another drive in the Toppy with the IDE connector the correct way round and it worked fine.

My point here is in fitting the IDE the wrong way round and turning on the toppy I may have damaged the hard drive. I can think of no other reason why a working drive would become non working when connected up to the toppy. Perhaps your drive is now damaged? I don't know for sure but it sounds like you are going through the same sort of problem I had. You say you can see your drive on your PC, do you mean bios or in windows? Have you confirmed it is fully working in windows?

If you can try a different sata drive in the toppy if you have one, but first make sure your connections are correct.

By the way I got my WD drive replaced under warranty.
Chimpo

HDD upgrade

Post by Chimpo »

All

Thank you for your coments and suggestions and time. Unfortunately, during my voltage tests, I managed to short the fuse! :oops:

Time (and wife and toddler pressing for their shows) I had to bite the bullet and rush out to get a new PVR, so ending my (predominantly happy) time with the Toppy, which has been sent for recycling.

If anyone wants a Turbosat module or the Startech adapter to attempt a HDD upgrade, please PM (no warranty or liability, etc, and it will have to be first come first served).

Epilogue: the HDD has been fitted to my PC and is working fine there, so I still don't know what the problem was.

Before I bow out, I would like to take this oppportunity to thank the developers of all the TAPs (in particular MyStuff and its related TAPs and the people running this forum) for making the Toppy's demise ultimately rather sad - all the more so as I am now once again "at the envelope" (I opted for a 3view box, which is proving somewhat 'experimental', but the developers are working hard, to be fair - but that's for another forum and another time!).

All the best

C
jumbo
Frequent contributor

SATA/IDE Modules

Post by jumbo »

Shame you zapped the Toppy. It can be rescued.
johnstar

Post by johnstar »

R.I.P Chimpo's toppy, it just didn't make it through, one slip of the surgeons screwdriver and it was all over .... but these things happen.

That 3view box sounds very interesting, nice alternative there chimpo.
Stars are suns but very far away ... The sun is a star but close up ... Carl Sagen ( Cosmos )