For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

deano467
Regular contributor

New Sata Hard Drive in 5810 Not Working

Post by deano467 »

Just fitted a 1TB WD-10EARS green sata drive and a startech IDE2SAT connector to my topfield 5810. Power cable connected up.

Turn on nothing happens, format option greyed out on menu settings.

Tried a different IDE connector (non toppy) - no change.

Both components are on the confirmed working list. The hard drive has no jumpers set, the IDE2SAT board has master jumper set.

With the IDE2SAT master jumper removed no difference. Do I need to have a jumper on the hard drive? Or any other advice appreciated.
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Does the HDD spin up? If not, check the voltages on the 4 pin Molex HDD power connector.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

I can very very faintly hear the hard drive trying to spin up around 10 times then nothing.

I bought the hard drive as used so haven't checked it in my PC. I'm unsure how the HD is currently formatted, would that make a difference?
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

I just changed the3.5" hard drive to a 2.5" sata, and it works fine, so the IDE2SAT and the cable configuration are OK.

So I need to check the 3.5" HD in my PC to confirm it is working. Maybe format it in my PC and try again. Do I need a jumper on it?
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

deano467 wrote:Do I need a jumper on it?
Normally Cable Select, but it should also work as Master - I'm not sure that this applies with SATA drives.

Once the Toppy sees the drive, it will want to format it, regardless of any previous non-Toppy formatting.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

The 3.5" hard drive is faulty. Showed up as 0.0MB in bios on my PC. In windows cannot get drive to appear, went through administrative tools, storage devices and rescanned but no joy.

It is an advance format drive, but I'm running windows 7 64 bit so that should not be a problem.

On the positive I've managed to get a 2.5" drive working, I'll update my other post.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Tried a new Seagate 3.5" 500GB PIPELINE HD ST3500312CS hard drive, and working great. You can add this model to the confirmed working list.

The Seagate is an excellent choice for the Toppy. It is the drive that ships with the Amstrad Sky+HD boxes.

As well as being a low profile (smaller drive) it is silent, and cool. After transferring my recordings from the stock Samsung SP2514N 250GB to this baby via my PC which took 2 hours, the Samsung was very hot and the Seagate was well "cool", amazing how far the tech has advanced.

Should extend the life of my Toppy by a bit. That's the end of my upgrading for a while now.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

deano467 wrote:Tried a new Seagate 3.5" 500GB PIPELINE HD ST3500312CS hard drive, and working great. You can add this model to the confirmed working list.
... once it's been in there for at least a few weeks and is still working ;-).
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012