For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

deano467
Regular contributor

2.5" Hard Drive?

Post by deano467 »

Just wondering as most modern devices use the smaller 2.5" hard drives (ps3's, xbox360's other newer PVR's without problems) has anyone attempted to fit one and run successfully inside a toppy?

There is one listed on the known working page WD5000BEVT, but no other information as to what other modifications are required, or adapters, etc.

I keep reading on the problem pages about the adverse affects of internal heat on electronics, and power consumption strain on the PSU from the large 3.5" drives that everyone uses, so surely a small 2.5" drive would be the way to go. Plus it would free up some internal space.

Really interested to hear if anyone has managed to get one working.
stuchel
Frequent contributor

Post by stuchel »

Hi Deano, similar question already asked and answered Here

Hope this will do until someone more knowledgeable comes along

Stuchel

TF5810, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.5; Font Manager 1.0d; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.3; MHEG On/Off A3; (FastScanGUI v0.6d);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 30/3/11
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Yes, I read this quote from Tolksee...

"On another point, I tried using a 2.5" HDD in a Toppy, using a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE converter and 2.5" caddy. It did not work. Playback was unwatchable like when you have Freeview signal breakup. I don't reccommend trying it. There are very quiet 3.5" discs out there now if noise is your concern. Add in some vibration decoupling foam or gel-type stuff under the Toppy's feet, and you'll have a silent little PVR. Very Happy!"

... but I dont know the specs of the drive that was used or the adapter. It could have been an older lower speed IDE laptop drive that was tested.

Would you get stuttering with a fast 7200rpm SATA laptop drive with a good buffer?

I'm not interested in the noise benefits, more the lower power consumption and less heat generated.

If a PS3 can playback 1080p high def video without stuttering, why cant a Toppy play back normal broadcast quality video?
ryclark
Frequent contributor

Post by ryclark »

A modern 2.5" SATA laptop drive will connect with the same connections as a 3.5" SATA one. No further adaptors required. PVRs don't require fast HDDs, PVR is much less onerous than a PC as far as disk access goes. So 5400rpm is plenty fast enough.
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Fm
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; TSSaver v0.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 13/10/14
?
SonicLife
Frequent contributor

Post by SonicLife »

I would be surprised if a modern SATA 2.5 disk and the correct adapter would not work but you would have to buy one to find out. I am not sure what the advantage over a good modern 3.5 disk would be in reality other than more efficiently emptying your wallet. I am amazed by how good modern 3.5" disks are for heat, noise, price and capacity.
Toppy conversion scripts to convert toppy recordings to other formats.
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Why would anyone want to fit a 2.5" drive in the Toppy when larger drives are more reliable, can withstand more battering, are cheap as chips, quiet and "green" (i.e. cool and use very little power)! Last but not least they are tried and tested in the Toppy.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

jumbo wrote:Why would anyone want to fit a 2.5" drive in the Toppy when larger drives are more reliable, can withstand more battering, are cheap as chips, quiet and "green" (i.e. cool and use very little power)! Last but not least they are tried and tested in the Toppy.
It seems 95% of the reported hardware problems on here are due to poor quality capacitors on the PSU board failing or hard drive failures due to overheating then it is surely beneficial to fit a 2.5" hard drive which does not generate as much heat or place as much load on the PSU components.

A quick google search and I found this:
http://www.digitaldingus.com/articles/2 ... lemma2.php

Quote...

"Less Heat

2.5" hard drives do not give off as much heat as a 3.5" drive. They are also much less noisy.

Low Power Requirements

2.5" drives also have much less power consumption, and it's common for a 2.5" drive to run on only 10% of what a 3.5" drive requires. This is very important, as a higher power consumption, translates into a higher chance of failure. Unfortunately, the more power current you have flowing through a particular device, the more chance for error. And when we're talking about computer components which are the most sensitive to electrical currents, the importance of low power consumption becomes clear."

End of Quote

The so called ECO 3.5" drives still use much more power in comparison to a 2.5" drive.

Jumbo's says larger drives are more reliable and can withstand a battering. A battering from what? My toppy sits quietly on the shelf beside my "also reliable" PS3 slim with 250GB 2.5" hard drive. Even if the 2.5" drive is not as reliable as a 3.5" on its own then surely fitting it would make the Toppy more reliable as it requires much less power and generates less heat.

Also contrary to Jumbo's belief 2.5" drives are also now cheap as chips (a few years ago this was not the case). A 250GB drive costs around £30 and a 500GB around £40 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... ters&psc=1). Those sizes are more than adequate for me.

Also the 2.5" drives are quieter than 3.5". The larger drives can emit an audible hum when in operation which can cause the Toppy to vibrate. I had this problem originally a year ago which was solved by a bit of blutak inside the case to dampen the vibration.

I also think the "green" aspects of 3.5" drives are are overstated in the manufacturers advertising blurb mainly to generate extra sales at premium prices.

The one valid point Jumbo makes is that 3.5" drives are tried and tested in the Toppy. This I cannot argue with, as there does not appear to be any data to support successful implementation of 2.5" drives from users on this forum. Only 1 comment from one user Tolksee that a 2.5" IDE resulted in unwatchable playback, don't bother.

Think I might buy one of those IDE/SATA adapters and test it out. I repair laptops and have a couple of drives which I can test out.
SonicLife
Frequent contributor

Post by SonicLife »

You sound convinced, time to put your money where your mouth is and report back how it works.
Toppy conversion scripts to convert toppy recordings to other formats.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

SonicLife wrote:You sound convinced, time to put your money where your mouth is and report back how it works.
I've just ordered one on ebay for about £3, hope it works, might be after christmas for delivery with all this snow, and before I can report back.

Might end up using my 5810 to cook the turkey after all.
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

No hope of re-educating the deluded :roll:
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

jumbo wrote:No hope of re-educating the deluded :roll:
Another pointless non value add contribution from Jumbo :)
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

2.5" disks have become much more popular (and hence much cheaper and more reliable) due to the increased demand for laptops and the need for backup devices with massive storage [thanks, Microsoft...].
jpdw

Post by jpdw »

I've been wondering exactly the same thing. I've used 2.5" drives in a couple of servers, also for power reasons and am keen to do the same in upgrading my Toppy from it's current/temporary 80Gb.

My main reservation is that 1Tb 3.5" drives are common as muck & cheap as chips whereas sensibly priced 2.5" seem to top at around 640Mb....

Going to find some of each & compare specs. So 5400rpm should be fine, but what about cache levels?

Edit: After doing a bit more research, I figured out the £50 price points its pretty much storage capacity (3.5in giving 1.5TB) vs consumption (with the 2.5in specs about 1/4 or less than 3.5in price equivalent). As my Toppy is probably only on a max of 1/6 of the day average, price has won out. I'll still be ordering a 2.5in for my 24/7 NAS though...
TF5800t, IA On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/12/10
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Interesting link on the same topic. (US PVR)

http://www.scienceman.com/pgs/review_archive.php?id=6

Strange that he chose to bury the hard drive with carpet back which may well protect it and keep it quiet but surely this would make the drive heat up after extended use
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

tested a 2.5" 160GB 7200rpm Fujitsu drive with the sata/ide connector which came today very quickly after all. This was in my 5800.

Initially formatted OK, turned off/on they got the checking files message. Then a message to reformat again (oh dear!) so not looking good.

Eventually when I tried to record I got a message saying the hard drive was full.

I then connected the drive to my PC and formatted via TopfHDRW to make sure it was formatted, tried again in toppy and got message hard drive full again.

I honestly think the issue is the IDE/SATA conector. It was the cheapest I could find and I was unsure if it would work having read the thread on IDE/SATA connectors as some people got some to work but others couldn't. On the positive I now have a spare IDE/SATA connector which I'll add to my bits and bobs box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0570682179

Does anyone think this would work with a 3.5" SATA? I'll start reading through that thread again myself.[/url]