For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

deano467 wrote:I then connected the drive to my PC and formatted via TopfHDRW to make sure it was formatted, tried again in toppy and got message hard drive full again.

I honestly think the issue is the IDE/SATA conector. It was the cheapest I could find and I was unsure if it would work having read the thread on IDE/SATA connectors as some people got some to work but others couldn't. On the positive I now have a spare IDE/SATA connector which I'll add to my bits and bobs box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0570682179

Does anyone think this would work with a 3.5" SATA? I'll start reading through that thread again myself.[/url]
TopfHDRW should not be used for formatting - the disc must be formatted in the toppy.

The only OP I can find who referred to your connector ended up using a different one, but there may be others.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

css, thanks for the info about the other user who found the same adapter not working also.

I tried the PC format after I had already tested the toppy format. While the drive formats OK in both PC and Toppy I got the hard drive full message under both scenarios.
Doct0r
Frequent contributor

Post by Doct0r »

Cheap isn't always best.

I understand your logic on wanting to try a 2.5" drive but I'd still go with an adapter from the known working list. Will save you time and money in the end.
TF5810, , F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +R2UUuVb
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Font Manager 1.0d; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/5/11
?
jpdw

Post by jpdw »

On the plus side, as others have said on this or the other IDE/SATA thread, in theory once you have the IDE->SATA interface working, the physical size of the drive shouldn't make much difference. IDE(or ATA) connectors on 2.5" differed slightly from 3.5" ones, but AFAIK (and myexperience thus far) is that SATA is the same connector whether 2.5 or 3.5.
TF5800t, IA On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/12/10
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

I had another read of the working/non-working sata/ide adapter thread, and have just spotted the OP mentioned the existing short Topfield IDE cable may need to be removed in some cases.

When I tested the drive I just left the short topfield IDE cable in place and plugged the adapter directly into it.

Should I have removed the short cable and used a different cable directly onto the topfield mobo?

This is on a TF5800 by the way.
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

jpdw wrote:On the plus side, as others have said on this or the other IDE/SATA thread, in theory once you have the IDE->SATA interface working, the physical size of the drive shouldn't make much difference.
Wrong! Several working SATA/IDE cards have caused problems for larger 750Gb+ drives. Some brands (sensibly) specify those limits. On the up side with large drives becoming more widely available/used the same adapters have on occasion been updated (on the quiet) to cope with the larger capacities. This has, sometimes, caused confusion amongst people with the same hardware experiencing problems whilst others did not!
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

deano467 wrote:Should I have removed the short cable and used a different cable directly onto the topfield mobo?
You should use an 80-wire (shielded) cable (as opposed to the unshielded 40-wire Toppy cable) which should be as short as possible. You can use the shorter section of a master/slave cable. Once working you can cut off the spare section using very sharp scissors or a knife; Avoid shorting the ends. It also needs to be used in a reverse manner, i.e. motherboard end to the card and drive end to the motherboard. This may require an extra hole to be made in the motherboard end to accomodate the extra centre pin on the male Toppy motherboard socket.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Thanks for the advice Jumbo. I've got some old IDE cables. I'll try that, cheers
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

No luck usig different cables but I can confirm the ide/sata converter I had been using is not compatible.

I bought a startech IDE2SAT as advised on here, and have successfully connected and tested a Fujitsu MHW2160BJ-G2 (160GB 2.5" hard drive).

After 2 hours recording 2 different programs and playing back a 3rd all was OK.
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

deano467 wrote:Nhave successfully connected and tested a Fujitsu MHW2160BJ-G2 (160GB 2.5" hard drive).
Now if you rack up 10 of those little babies you'll match my 1.5Tb drive and heat your lounge at the same time :lol:
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Nice one, the 160GB was only for testing though tbh.

With a 250GB 3.5", I've never gone below 40%, so a 500GB should be ample.

Must say the noise and heat generated from the 160GB 2.5" was minimal.:wink:
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

deano467 wrote:Must say the noise and heat generated from the 160GB 2.5" was minimal.:wink:
Noise (sound), as you will no doubt remember from your school Physics, has both amplitude and frequency (pitch). Larger drives generate low frequency noise whilst smaller ones tend to generate higher frequencies with lower amplitude. Hearing is affected by both frequency and amplitude with some people, including teenagers/children, being particularly sensitive to high pitched noise.
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

jumbo wrote:Noise (sound), as you will no doubt remember from your school Physics, has both amplitude and frequency (pitch). Larger drives generate low frequency noise whilst smaller ones tend to generate higher frequencies with lower amplitude. Hearing is affected by both frequency and amplitude with some people, including teenagers/children, being particularly sensitive to high pitched noise.
Ok.....right.
Laser
Frequent contributor

Post by Laser »

I'd still be interested in deano's results with a sensible sized drive. I don't know how quiet the "quiet" 3.5" drives are, but a 2.5" drive is typically near silent, based on laptops I've used.

Yes it's 3 times the cost per GB, but not everything is about price, and people may well have a spare 2.5" drive and would like to know if it works. It's disappointing that deano467 is receiving such negative comments over something like this.
TF5800 Black Panther with 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD FW 5.13.65 (Patched)
TAPs: MS6.6, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, SecCacheUK, EIT_Sub, UKSubtitle, SDS
TV: Pioneer PDP-4280XD. AVR: Denon AVR-X2600H. Transmitter: Tacolneston