For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

deano467 wrote:Thanks, are you saying that 5810 owners can only use the official Topfield firmware? Is there a recommended firmware on this site for 5810 owners which is different to the official one? I read the notes on the firmware page on here but I am a bit confused (sorry).
The recommended firmware for a 5810 can be found here. It's the version produced by members of this forum (R2-D2 in particular) and is, in my view, fine. There is a version for MyStuff which has a few more mandatory patches here.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

ccs wrote:The recommended firmware for a 5810 can be found here. It's the version produced by members of this forum (R2-D2 in particular) and is, in my view, fine. There is a version for MyStuff which has a few more mandatory patches here.
Thanks!
Ex_Sailor
Frequent contributor

Post by Ex_Sailor »

I've had a 5810 and am the 'supporter' of a number of other 5810's since they came on the market.
They all run MyStuff and the appropriate firmware and not one of them - yet - have had any major problems.

Colin
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

Ex_Sailor wrote:I've had a 5810 and am the 'supporter' of a number of other 5810's since they came on the market.
They all run MyStuff and the appropriate firmware and not one of them - yet - have had any major problems.

Colin
Thank-you Colin.

I will install the recommended firmware and MyStuff from above link on my 5810 when I get it hopefully tomorrow.

I have an old 10GB IDE 3.5" hard drive lying about somewhere. Would that work in the 5810 (just for test purposes) before I get round to swapping the 250GB from my 5800?

and another question, it is a long shot but think I read on here on another post that the lid on the 5810 has fewer vent slots compared to the 5800. Could I swap the lids between the units or are they different dimensions?
Doct0r
Frequent contributor

Post by Doct0r »

Unfortunately the 5810 has a wider lid.
TF5810, , F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +R2UUuVb
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Font Manager 1.0d; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/5/11
?
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

deano467 wrote:A. It looks much better and more modern and will look better beside my blu-ray player (purely down to my personal taste I guess).
You could have gone for a 5800t which looks every bit as good as the 5810 bar a bloody bright search light which can easily be dimmed. I must say that anyone buying a product of this nature for "looks" (even as one of many factors) needs to be re-educated!
B. It has HDMI out. While I appreciate the upscaled picture will look pretty much the same, my preference is to have a digital signal which is not prone to the usual interference/ghosting that you commonly get with SCART cables. SCART plugs seem to work loose as well wheras HDMI has a better positive connection.
Rubbish!
C. I assumed the 5810 was an upgraded version of the 5800 and they would have ironed out the bugs of which there are many reported here for the 5800 (and not so many here for the 5810).
This was a reasonable assumption and one that we have ALL made in the past only to find that we were ALL had by a clever trick. The difference is that you would have had the benefit of many 5810 owners (mostly ex-owners) in this forum with several years' experience of that machine.
However member css makes a valid point that the 5810 may in fact be just fine. I assumed the negative comments from 5800 users towards the 5810 was from personal experience or from reading many issues on here, and not just a bias against the newer better looking model.A large number (if not all) the posts regarding the 5810 are based on personal experiences of the machine. In some cases (including I) with two (or more) 5810s in addition to one or more 5800s!!!
You sound like one of those owners who (justifiably) are looking for "words of comfort". Don't! If you like what you've bought and are happy with your purchase simply ignore all else and enjoy it. What people like me say here is for the benefit of those who have yet to decide and are in the process of making a decision. You, on the other hand, seem to have had very clear ideas about what you wanted and have, on the face of it, matched the product to your requirements. Of course as you get more familar with the machine feel free to share your thoughts/opinions with the rest of the community.

PS If you want a better 5810 you should fit a green SATA drives in it which generates less heat and is less power hungry. You can also consider fitting a fan; A couple of different schemes have been proposed and implemented by others.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

I currently own a 5800t (Grade A from Turbosat's eBay shop) and a 5810 (acquired brand new as a replacement for a 5800 which got lost in transit for repair). They are the same age to within weeks of each other. Both run fundamentally the same suite of TAPs. Both run this site's recommended firmware, with TS on and Interactive off.

My 5810 requires far more intervention (channel deletions, etc.) to run at all - it has less memory available to TAPs, for starters. The 5810 has had several hardware and other issues in the time I've had it; the 5800 none. Statistically, this proves nothing, but while I'm not an anti-5810 evangelist, I wouldn't get another 5810 if a 5800 was available.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
gomezz
Frequent contributor

Post by gomezz »

ccs wrote:And as for HDMI, well at least it avoids the auto-switching of a scart connection.
If you don't like auto-switching then there are a number of zero-cost solutions with a SCART connection. If you *do* like auto-switching then you are stuffed with an HDMI connection unless you buy a HDMI switch unit which supports it (do they even exist?) or your AV amp supports it (do *they* actually exist?) or you invest time, effort and money in an activity based universal remote control.
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CbCfCtDEgEmEvEzIMPePsVdZ
TAPs: Power Down 0.75; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.4; EPG2MEI v0.96;
Extend v1.7; EIT Sub v0.6; mei2archive BETA 3.8l6; Font Manager 1.0d; (Power Restore V0.7.3b)
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

OK, there seems to be 2 camps of people on here with different viewpoints on the subject of the 5800 vs the 5810.

Jumbo's comment that I need to be re-educated because I suggested the 5810 looks better was a bit insulting. What about the people that want to buy the new facelifted Ford Focus with better looks and more features than the previous model. Do they need to be reeducated also?

Also, just because you have never had any issues with SCART cables does not mean that no-one else has. I have experienced interference issues especially with the cheaper SCART cables that come as standard with any new AV product. Interference from other electrical equipment (hairdryers) and ghosting. Yes you can purchase good quality screened SCART cables as an alternative. My old TV had a problem with the SCART cables always falling out because it was so loose when pushed in. My own experience is that I would prefer not to use SCARTS and the HDMI is a neater solution. That is my opinion just as you have yours.
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Hear, hear!
underquark
Frequent contributor

Post by underquark »

deano467 wrote:What about the people that want to buy the new facelifted Ford Focus with better looks and more features than the previous model. Do they need to be reeducated also?
No, but a friend says they may do better with winter tyres. Similarly, you could live with the 5800 and 5810 as is but you may find they work better with a change of firmware and some added TAPs.

I'd agree to a point about SCARTs in that my HDMI cables from DVD etc. haven't fallen out (so far) but that SCARTs can loosen if the equipment is bumped. I don't like auto-switching but some people do, of course.
A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

underquark wrote:[No, but a friend says they may do better with winter tyres.
Probably the same kind of person that would think that the 5810 is a better machine and would be wrong on both counts :) :)
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

alan_m wrote: Probably the same kind of person that would think that the 5810 is a better machine and would be wrong on both counts :) :)
the Focus thing was the first thing I thought of, but the analogy could also apply to iphone 4 vs iphone 3GS, the core i3/i5/i7 CPU vs Core2 Duo CPU.

This must be one of the very rare times a manufacturer issues a product which is worse than its predecessor (according to some people on here).

But then again others seem to have no probs with it, so the jury is out in my opinion.

The 5810 arrived and I will test it out. At the end of the day it is only £50, if it lasts another year I'll be happy and by that time the HD freeview PVR's will have dropped in price, and I'll make the jump again.

Do you guys still use those brick phones from the 90's?
:wink:
gomezz
Frequent contributor

Post by gomezz »

No. But I skipped the stop-gap, upscaling Freeview boxes to wait for full HD Freeview boxes and I will be skipping 3D TV sets and wait for holographic TV sets to hit the market.
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CbCfCtDEgEmEvEzIMPePsVdZ
TAPs: Power Down 0.75; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.4; EPG2MEI v0.96;
Extend v1.7; EIT Sub v0.6; mei2archive BETA 3.8l6; Font Manager 1.0d; (Power Restore V0.7.3b)
deano467
Regular contributor

Post by deano467 »

gomezz wrote:No. But I skipped the stop-gap, upscaling Freeview boxes to wait for full HD Freeview boxes and I will be skipping 3D TV sets and wait for holographic TV sets to hit the market.
You'll have a long wait then, write back in 2020

http://www.3dmovietechnology.com/holographic-tv/

As the Popular Science article indicates, holographic technology has multiple applications, such as three dimensional medical imaging and military training. It does look like a viable, consumer-ready holographic TV is still many years away. Unless there is another major breakthrough, it will probably take 10 years or more before we can enjoy true holographic TV.