For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

mips

Unwanted firmware

Post by mips »

Hi,

I,ve been a read only visitor to these pages for a long time. I'm sorry that my first post has to be a rant. I have a 5800 that has been working very reliably with the series link firmware for some considerable time. Last night without any prompting it replaced my firmware, with a prompt on the screen recommending to initialise settings!

I didn't seem to have any choice so hit the button. Tonight I have had crash after crash and reloads when starting recordings. Frankly I am very p****d off. How the hell can it update the firmware without asking? Anyone know if I can turn this feature off?

Mike :x :x :x
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Re: Unwanted firmware

Post by alan_m »

mips wrote:Hi,

I,ve been a read only visitor to these pages for a long time. I'm sorry that my first post has to be a rant. I have a 5800 that has been working very reliably with the series link firmware for some considerable time. Last night without any prompting it replaced my firmware, with a prompt on the screen recommending to initialise settings!
It's either a bug in the firmware that caused this or maybe it's the first signs of a power supply failure. As the series link firmware is known to be a buggy load of old *~!@ so I am surprised that you haven't seen problems before on a 5800 running it.
How the hell can it update the firmware without asking? Anyone know if I can turn this feature off?
There hasn't been a OTA firmware update in the last 3 years and your crashing cannot be related to new firmware because there wouldn't have been anything to download.

The Toppy can erroneously see flags from other manufactures about OTA downloads. These can be disabled with a patch
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/patches.html#Ot
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... 023#175023

I suspect that the OTA message is the symptom of a fault rather than the cause. Also, if you have done a rescan you may now have duplicate channels (in TV or radio) or channels numbered in the 1000s that the firmwrae objects to.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
mips

Post by mips »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So the apparent new firmware was a spurious bug! I thought it was strange. But I must say I have been very happy with my 5800 up til now. The series link stuff has worked well ( with the exception of channel 5), and the occasional crash, once or twice a week at most. Also very pleased with the 16x fast wind after upgrade.

I must admit I have never used TAPS, never really felt the need, but I do have a SLUG connected. Very slow, but works.

Well if this box is on it's last legs, where to go now is the problem. Preferably I would like a futureproof box, with networking, HD etc. I was thinking of youview in the near future, but looks like I may be pushed into a decision now. Topfield don't appear to have anything new. The cheap Tesco boxes would possibly have done as a temporary solution, but seem to have disappeared. Any suggestions gratefully received. A box with a networked disk accessible from my other TVs would be ideal.

Mike :?
mips

Post by mips »

Hi again,

Just checked. No duplicate channels, no channels in thousands.

Cheers

Mike
underquark
Frequent contributor

Post by underquark »

It's always worth trying to install the recommended (by this site, not the latest from Topfield) firmware which doesn't include series link because of its instability. To get something like series link then install MyStuff. If you connect the Toppy to a PC with internet access and use the MyStuff Installer it also will do the firmware update for you. Personally I wouldn't bother with Fonts, Extend or some other stuff but I you do need to install an EPG data gatherer (EPG2MEI, EIT2MEI).

Now if it works after this then fine. If you have the capability to check power supply voltages then do so. It is increasingly recommended to change the capacitors if the PSU voltages are out.
A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

The alleged firmware update was actually a memory corruption, making the Toppy *think* it had had an update.

If you're not running any TAPs, the most likely contributor to this is not putting the Toppy in standby regularly (at least once per day). This both clears out the memory AND prolongs the life of your Toppy by allowing the capacitors in the PSU (and everything else) to cool down when not in use.

If the Freeview+ firmware is working for you, you can get the least buggy version of it by choosing it from the installation script from the Firmware updates link on the main toppy.org.uk page.

This includes the patch alluded to by another poster, which makes the Toppy ignore OTA updates intended for other boxes (and is a separate problem).

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
mips

Post by mips »

I've had the firmware update message again, and the toppy crashes every time I begin a recording, so I've decided to cut my losses. Tesco 8320HD boxes seem to be available online. Hopefully this will tide me over, until the Freeview HD / Youview situation becomes clearer. Maybe there will even be a new Topfield to consider?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Mike
Geoff Bacon
Frequent contributor

Post by Geoff Bacon »

Before you splash out the cash, why don't you paste a MyInfo Log.txt file showing the configuration of your toppy. If you don't have the MyInfo.tap on your toppy, then you are unlikely to have the correct firmware/patches and or versions of taps)

Geoff
TopManager program
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+EvEzPePfUUuZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; MHEG On/Off A3; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; MyInfo B5.6; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6-1;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 3/5/21
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

If you can get to the menu to do a Factory Reset and rescan, and then delete unwanted channels, that'll probably fix it (and far more cheaply than a new box). If you can't get to the menu, installing EmptySettings as if it was firmware should work.

Of course, it may be that the PSU needs a repair, which MikeyP or andyfras can do at a very competitive price. Or, if you want to abandon the Toppy, I expect there are plenty of people here who would be delighted to take it off your hands for spares.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

Who'll take my bet that it's 5.14.09? :) Fit broken firmware then complain that it's broken...
mike.hinson
Frequent contributor

Post by mike.hinson »

I think it is great credit to the tolerance of anyone that they can put up with "...the occasional crash, once or twice a week at most...." Wow, that would have me in tears.

/\/\
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; Standby v1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.5; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 10/11/13