For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

leona
Frequent contributor

Western Digital 5000AADS

Post by leona »

I just was wondering if anyone has tried the above Western Digital Green 5000AADS hard drive? I can not see it listed on the 'working' models, but notice that on a review someone has used it in a sky+ box, so thought it might be suitable for our toppy's?

Also as I am looking at this, I notice amazon have IOMAX Bi-Directional IDE / SATA Converter, again I can not see these in the 'tested' list, any idea if they would work? As its about half the price of the topfield one.
Kind Regards

Leona
-------
Toppy: Pre facelift TF5800 Age: 2005 PSU Refurb: 04/2011 TV: Panasonic TH42PX60B 42" Plasma.
IA: Off TS: On F/W: MS6 Rec: 5.13.65T Dated: 12/9/09 -Sy+Pe TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34; HDDInfo; MyInfo Sig 14/4/11.
HDD: WD / WD5000AADS / 500Gb Topfield SATA Adaptor PC OS: Ubuntu (12.04)
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

@Leona,
Even if that bi-directional adapter did work it would not physically fit in the Toppy: The hard drive mount could not be placed back in its proper place as it would end up sitting on top of the protruding, rigid and vertical adapter. Some bi-directional adapters (such as Newlink that does work in the Toppy) have a short IDE cable extension which enables their horizontal placement below the hard drive mount. Similarly, the Turbosat adapter plugs into the IDE connection horizontally. So unless you are an adventurous soul wishing to be a pioneer, avoid the untried and tested gizmos!
leona
Frequent contributor

Post by leona »

jumbo wrote:@Leona,
Even if that bi-directional adapter did work it would not physically fit in the Toppy: The hard drive mount could not be placed back in its proper place as it would end up sitting on top of the protruding, rigid and vertical adapter. Some bi-directional adapters (such as Newlink that does work in the Toppy) have a short IDE cable extension which enables their horizontal placement below the hard drive mount. Similarly, the Turbosat adapter plugs into the IDE connection horizontally. So unless you are an adventurous soul wishing to be a pioneer, avoid the untried and tested gizmos!
Thanks jumbo, oh no, I am no pioneer, a follower not a leader.
I had not spotted that, I didn't realise the HDD sat on top of the connector, I thought it went alongside, ok.
Kind Regards

Leona
-------
Toppy: Pre facelift TF5800 Age: 2005 PSU Refurb: 04/2011 TV: Panasonic TH42PX60B 42" Plasma.
IA: Off TS: On F/W: MS6 Rec: 5.13.65T Dated: 12/9/09 -Sy+Pe TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34; HDDInfo; MyInfo Sig 14/4/11.
HDD: WD / WD5000AADS / 500Gb Topfield SATA Adaptor PC OS: Ubuntu (12.04)