For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

ggemmill
Regular contributor

Replacing a disk

Post by ggemmill »

My hard disk is making a most unpleasant noise, so I have ordered a replacement (thanks for your valued list of compatible models), but I have forgotten (if I ever knew): what creates the basic directory structure on the disk? Is it the Topfield firmware?
TIA
Graeme
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

You have to format the disc on the toppy and this will sort out the directory structure.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
ggemmill
Regular contributor

Replacing a disk

Post by ggemmill »

That was fast, ccs! Thanks.
Graeme
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Post by juwlz »

... and then if you have any TAPs installed, copy the whole of /ProgramFiles and its subdirectories to your PC from the old drive, and on to the new drive to get all your TAPs and settings as they were.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Hard drive noise (for example excessive clicking or screeching) in the Toppy is, first and foremost, the result of incorrect voltages supplied by the Power Supply Unit (PSU). Make sure you check those first before installing the new drive. If the PSU is faulty (increasingly common in Toppies 2+ years old) then the chances are that your old drive is OK and you would not need a new drive - just a repair to the PSU. Of course if the PSU is faulty then a new drive will also (ultimately) fail. This could be delayed somewhat due to new drives being more efficient and tolerant of (wider) voltage fluctuations. See the relevant threads in the Bugs section for more detail.

PS MikeyP and andyfras are two forum members who can supply and/or check/repair/upgrade your PSU for a small fee.
ggemmill
Regular contributor

Replacing a disk

Post by ggemmill »

Julie, Jumbo:
Thanks for your input. I shall certainly do the voltage check once I've got the cover off.
Graeme