For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Poudaduk

Copying a drive - 2TB Option - Quicklinx 64D5WS

Post by Poudaduk »

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 2TB WD20EARS to put in my Toppy 5800. I have a laptop with limited drive space, so I am challenged with the coping option as discussed in previous posts.

My question is: The Quicklinx 64D5WS says it only handles up to 1TB drives... Do I have any other options?

Many thanks in advance!
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

There are several adapters that support 2Tb. For example the Turbosat one reported here.
Poudaduk

Post by Poudaduk »

Hi, specifically what I was looking for was an adapter to use with my laptop in order to transfer between the old hard drive and new one.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.
Darucla
Frequent contributor

Post by Darucla »

I have a very similar device to the Qicklink, a MagicBridge II, which allows connection od SATA and PATA drives at the same time. I am reasonably sure you should be able to connect both drives directly to the little box, and use TopfHDRW to copy from one to the other. Be careful to plug everything in securely before switching on, and exercise caution when handling naked drives. You will need to format the new drive first though, as this is always best done in the Topfield, if, as I see is the case here, you are intending to use it in the Topfield.

Many devices just claim compatability with the biggest/newest thing they know of at the time of printing the manuals etc. Which is prudent. But if you try the drive with the adaptor, it should tell you straightaway if it works. Windows should see it and report the size.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -CpFm+C0EgIPeUUsUuUyVyWf
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyInfo B5.5; MHEG Control B2; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/5/11
mavison
Frequent contributor

Post by mavison »

I also used a MagicBridge II, and used it to copy from PATA to 1TB SATA at the same time on a laptop. Worked very well. See post for speed details.

Cannot confirm it is ok with 2TB though.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CbCfCtDEvEzFsIPePsScUUuWfZ
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG On/Off A3; (Power Restore V0.7.7);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 10/1/20