For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

andyfras
Frequent contributor

Tuner Transplant

Post by andyfras »

I have just performed my first tuner transplant, in fact a double tuner transplant.

The box was sent to me with a suspected blown Q14 as there was no signal following a DIY PSU capacitor replacement. When I measured Q14 it was OK, as were all the voltages fed to the tuners. So this suggested that the tuners themselves were faulty.

As I had a spare mainboard (faulty) with the same type of tuners, I decided it was worth attempting the transplant. I did tuner 1 first, unsoldering 30 pins on each tuner, and it worked. I was hoping that tuner 2 was OK, but it wasn't, so I then had to do the second one.

The box is all back up and running now.

I think that replugging with some equipment powered might have been the cause of the problem. Some people have blown the USBs in their Toppies and laptops as a result of floating earths. I can only advise switching off all equipment when replugging.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
scoobydooby
Frequent contributor

Post by scoobydooby »

That is good news - are the Tuner modules a fairly stock item & available to buy from anywhere or is down to cannibalising otherwise faulty mobo's?

Was it a pain to do & would it be something that you'd be prepared to do as a chargeable job for other forum members?

Tony
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Vd+Z
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/3/15
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

I have never seen tuners sold separately. There are 2 versions of tuner module and I think that they may not be interchangeable, as the newer version came with new firmware. The ones I used came from a faulty mainboard I had bought on eBay that turned out to have a processor fault.

It was quite fiddly and time-consuming to unsolder 30 pins, but with the right tools it was OK.

Do you suspect that you have (a) faulty tuner(s)? If so it is more likely something else - maybe Q22 transistor has failed or the firmware settings are corrupted.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
scoobydooby
Frequent contributor

Post by scoobydooby »

No I dont Andy, I retired a fully working 5800 to the loft after I purchased a facelift 5800 when Currys/PCWorld were flogging them off cheap a few months back.

It was purely out of curiosity that I was asking about off-the-shelf spares, and also if I or another forum member ever needed to have a duff tuner changed.

Tony
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Vd+Z
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/3/15
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

andyfras wrote:There are 2 versions of tuner module and I think that they may not be interchangeable, as the newer version came with new firmware.
The firmware is backwards compatible, so the recommended firmware will work with both models of tuner. What you can't do is run 5.12.88 (or before) on the new tuners. There may also be an issue with fitting the new model tuner on Toppys with a Loader previous to C5.14 -- i.e. C1.01! (I'd have thought the old tuner ought to work on the newer version of the Loader, like the firmwares do.)
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

I'm not sure if there may be some subtle hardware difference on the mainboard to accommodate the two tuner versions.

The part number for the original tuner is Samsung TDTC9251DV01C(T)

The part number for the later tuner is Samsung DNOS886ZV302A