For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

andyfras wrote:The 80 wire lead has a 40 way socket, the same as the 40 wire version, but there is a screen between each of the wires to enable higher data rates. The Toppy mainboard socket does not have an earth connection for the screen, but the adapter does, that is why the lead must be reversed.

You can ignore the advice on the forum if you like, but it is the collection of many members' experiences that has led to the way to get a working adapter.
Sorry, I didn't realize the 80 wire lead had the same socket, so I guess my next move, is to get an 80 wire lead, and fit it backwards?
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Get one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18CM-Dual-Dri ... 1953492448

Cut off the short end (black in this case) with scissors close to the grey connector. Plug the grey connector into the Toppy mainboard, and the blue into the SATA adapter. With some leads, the grey connector will need the blank hole drilled, but this one looks unblanked.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

andyfras wrote:Get one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18CM-Dual-Dri ... 1953492448

Cut off the short end (black in this case) with scissors close to the grey connector. Plug the grey connector into the Toppy mainboard, and the blue into the SATA adapter. With some leads, the grey connector will need the blank hole drilled, but this one looks unblanked.
Ok, just ordered it, you're a star. Thanks a lot for your help, I let you know how I get on.
Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

Unfortunately no joy. I've tried the cable the way you said, and the other way round. The only other thing I could try was the jumper on the adapter, slave or master or remove all together which I had tried. I also tried another SATA drive too.

Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead? I have a power adapter lead out of an old PC if I can get a DATA lead, would that work?
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Fort Jefferson wrote:Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead?
The adapter is converting from parallel (Toppy) to serial (SATA disk) data, so is definitely needed. I suspect that the adapter you are trying to use is one of the Toppy incompatible ones (there are several).

I can supply a tested, working combination of adapter and cable, ready to be fitted into a Toppy.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

andyfras wrote:
Fort Jefferson wrote:Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead?
The adapter is converting from parallel (Toppy) to serial (SATA disk) data, so is definitely needed. I suspect that the adapter you are trying to use is one of the Toppy incompatible ones (there are several).

I can supply a tested, working combination of adapter and cable, ready to be fitted into a Toppy.
That may be the best way, as I've only spent £5.30 on the kit I've got, It's hardly a great loss. Will you PM me with a price? and how to proceed if it's OK. I had three sets of capacitors off you before.
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

PM sent.
Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

andyfras wrote:PM sent.
That's fine, I've sent you the money. My PM reply seems to be stuck in my out box.
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Fort Jefferson wrote:My PM reply seems to be stuck in my out box.
Messages stay in your Outbox until read by the recipient, they then move to your Sentbox
Fort Jefferson

Post by Fort Jefferson »

For anyone else following this thread, Andy has sorted me out with a working adapter and lead at a very reasonable price.

All is now working.

John.
philbrown
Regular contributor

Post by philbrown »

Just wondering if anyone knows if this (SATA) disk works - Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB Video?

It came from a faulty Humax DTR1010 that I failed to get working reliably which I believe is not uncommon.

I thought I would try it as nothing to lose (I hope) and the list in this thread is a bit old, not surprisingly given the reducing number of Toppy users I guess.

Phil
TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Surfer v0.14; SecCache (UK) v0.4; WSSkiller V2.12d; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; (MyInfo B5.6); MyStuff 6.6; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG Control B2.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 01/01/21
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

I've found that the Seagates used in Humax's can be a bit picky about the SATA adapter used in a Toppy. You might be lucky.
philbrown
Regular contributor

Post by philbrown »

Andy, you get everywhere.

Next thing is to decide on an adapter. I've trawled all of the out of date data on that thread; again like disks nothing recent. I fancy the Newlink one with the built in cable assuming I can be sure that is what I'd get. Alternative is the Starlink one; any of the cheap ones on ebay seems risky. I'm thinking of using the fan from the Humax while I'm at is so will need to get creative with the power cable as well.

I'd ask if you can recommend the best adaptor but your comment suggests 'known working with toppy' doesn't really apply with an ex Humax disk. I will post a comment on the adaptor thread in case anyone has recent adapter experience. Just a long shot.

Phil
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Surfer v0.14; SecCache (UK) v0.4; WSSkiller V2.12d; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; (MyInfo B5.6); MyStuff 6.6; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG Control B2.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

Forget Newlink; only the earliest adapters worked with the Toppy.

The big problem with SATA adapters on the Toppy is that the IDE lead needs to be 80 wire (ultra ATA 66/100/133) and connected 'backwards', which means that the connector which would normally go the disk, goes to the Toppy mainboard, and the mainboard connector goes to the adapter. The reason for this is that the Toppy does not provide the screen connections in an 80 wire IDE, whereas the adapter does. Also the cable needs to be quite short.

I can supply a Toppy compatible adapter and cable. If you want to source it yourself, the Startech is the best I've found, but they seem to have got very expensive recently.
philbrown
Regular contributor

Post by philbrown »

I'll PM you.

Phil