For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

Andy K
Frequent contributor

Post by Andy K »

I wonder who has made them paranoid :P
Doct0r
Frequent contributor

Post by Doct0r »

jumbo wrote:
Andy K wrote:amazing how many different ways of doing it.

Only concern for anyone with kids doing this, is that if they poke a metal object through that fan (e.g when the toppy is in standby) they are going to get a shock off that heatsink
More amazing is how paranoid some people are! Liquid nitrogen would've been cheaper. Feel sorry for you friend.
Is that liquid nitrogen on the children? I fear for you if that's what you meant (and fear for myself that I thought it)
TF5810, , F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +R2UUuVb
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Font Manager 1.0d; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/5/11
?
1234enough

Post by 1234enough »

Anyone know supplier of Liquid nitrogen, may be good bet just in case Harry Houdini's kids call round.Oh only if its cheaper than £2 (cost of fan).
Disk - Total: 1397 GB, Free: 751 GBTF5800, IA On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSyXl+Wf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.5; TF5000 Display v1.53;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 30/5/11
Cozworth

Preferred fan?

Post by Cozworth »

Hi, Just fitted up my 5810 and the top is already warm, so am looking to fit a fan, but there appears to be little space to the right of the HD as there is something under there.

I would prefer simply fitting the fan to the topside, in case of warranty issues it can be easily removed.

Anyone got a suggestion as to a very quiet fan that is available now that will fit will cool the thing down enough and did I mention quiet :lol:
MikB
Frequent contributor

Post by MikB »

Andy K wrote:... they are going to get a shock off that heatsink
And also the copper fins added to hard drive appear to reduce the clearance between the earthed hard drive and the nicely LIVE heatsink, so there is more chance of an accidental "Bang!" moment.

No-one picked up on the use of a "potentiometer" to reduce the speed of the fan -- that looks to me like a little preset trimmer which is not intended to pass any significant current at all. A fixed resistor is the way to go, if you can't work out the right value to use, start at 0 ohms and work upwards :)

It's likely the trimmer will develop a bad spot or burn out totally, then the fan will certainly be slower. 0 RPM quiet enough?
Toppy Taps: http://toppy.signal11.org.uk

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
alan_m
Frequent contributor

Post by alan_m »

MikB wrote: It's likely the trimmer will develop a bad spot or burn out totally
I gree with you on both points. Short that heatsink out to anywhere on the metalwork and you will have a dead PSU. The potentiometer is inappropriate for the job it is doing and is likely to be the first point of failure.
Ex Toppy 5800 user - now migrated to Xtrend ET10000 Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial and 2 satellite tuners. Second box Zgemma H9S (Enigma 2, satellite)
fofp
Regular contributor

Fitted Fan to 5810 - Help needed with Mystuff/FW Upgrade

Post by fofp »

After two problems with capacitors on PSU (both led to hard disk comms problems and failed recordings etc), I've replaced the main row of five capacitors on the PSU.

Looking at the posts here, I decided to add a 50mm fan to push air in from the rear of the unit. This tool was a godsend: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=7688

I added a fan control unit to slow the fan. However this asn't quite enough to cut the noise down sufficiently. I've seen some stuff about taking the voltage from 12v to 7v or 5v by cutting and resoldering the Molex power leads. Does anyone have specific instructions on how to do this?

Of course I then hit teh fact that the fan was never off even in standby and had to upgrade the firmware and Mystuff software to cure this. I took on the official Mystuff upgrade package for the 5810 and apart from a few hiccups this is hopefully working ok (let's see if tonight's timers work...)

I have a coulpe of outstanding questions I hope you folks can help me with:

Apart from the TAP's the package recommends (I opted YES for them all just now because I'm not so clear on what they all do) I've been running TAP Commander (1.34), Skip 1.34a and mcgCYRResume 1.0

1) Do I still need CYRResume to take me back to what's being played when recordings interrupt this by starting and finishing, or does the upgrade to the latest Mystuff and FW 5.15.09T now handle that problem?

2) Is there a good explanation of how the whole grabbing the EPG thing works? I was using eit2mei Beta 7.8m6 with the old Mystuff (5.6) where the new one (6.2) has installed something different which doesn't allow me to force asingle or all-channel EPG search from Mystuff (that particular option is blacked-out). Any help/advice appreciated.
juwlz
MyStuff Team

Re: Fitted Fan to 5810 - Help needed with Mystuff/FW Upgrade

Post by juwlz »

fofp wrote:1) Do I still need CYRResume to take me back to what's being played when recordings interrupt this by starting and finishing, or does the upgrade to the latest Mystuff and FW 5.15.09T now handle that problem?
Absolutely not. In fact, I don't think it was ever needed on a 5810. It's fixed in firmware (or one of the patches in the recommended firmware, I forget which). Get rid immediately!
2) Is there a good explanation of how the whole grabbing the EPG thing works? I was using eit2mei Beta 7.8m6 with the old Mystuff (5.6) where the new one (6.2) has installed something different which doesn't allow me to force a single or all-channel EPG search from Mystuff (that particular option is blacked-out). Any help/advice appreciated.
EPG2MEI collects data in the background continuously and alerts MyStuff if anything has changed, so there is no need for an option to force a search. If you're not getting data, it's because something else is wrong (e.g. duplicate channels, or an EPG2MEI.ini file that is set up not to gather information for the channels you require). Note also that the 5810 doesn't have as much memory available to TAPs as a 5800, so I would strongly recommend that you physically delete all the channels you don't need. (As a guide, I have 30 TV and 8 Radio channels on mine.)

A MyInfo log (both the full log in a post, and a signature taken from the end of the log), plus information about what channel information you're not getting would be helpful in identifying what the problem might be. See Help! in my sig on how to post it, or use TopManager to automate it for you.

Note that there are known problems with weird LCNs at the moment now - delete any TV or Radio channels in the 1000s that you find.

Julie
5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+BmC0CfCtFsIMPePsR3UUuUxZ
5810, TS On, F/W: F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +BmCfCtFsR3Z
MyStuff info; Help!; Reference
Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Blowing air in from outside to the Toppy is not a good idea. Apart from blowing minute dust particles in (that will, in time, accumulate), it is not efficient. You should always "take heat away" from sensitive equipment. If you use the connection between the 5V and the 12V on the Molex plug that'll give you 7V for the fan. This should be both efficient and quiet.Image
fofp
Regular contributor

Re: Fitted Fan to 5810 - Help needed with Mystuff/FW Upgrade

Post by fofp »

Thanks, I've removed the RESUME TAP but I noticed I have the Deselect (1.1) TAP running too - presumably at some point I had the 5810 grabbing line 8 on its Scart and interrupting me when I was watching another box (I still have a functioning Pace Twin). Has this also been patched so that Deselect can be removed?

Spot on about the Radio channels. I forgot that doing a Factory Reset and Rescan would bring all those back. Things seem to be fine now.

I still have to open it up and have a look at rewiring the fan down from 12v - I 'll have a look soon...