For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

denbigh1974
Regular contributor

Post by denbigh1974 »

denbigh1974 wrote:Everything seems to be working OK after 24 hours. .
...and still fine two weeks later :D
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; PcControl B1.3; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 5/7/13
?
Rafe
Regular contributor

Post by Rafe »

Have just bought the Turbosat adapter and it seems to be working.

Appreciate it's a bit more than some of the others but it was a painless and neat install.

Note the link to it has changed to http://www.turbosat.com/products/PATA%2 ... odule.html
blueskydays

Post by blueskydays »

The Turbosat adapter and 2TB WD hard disc (WD20EZRX) is working fine.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd-w ... 64mb-cache

My FritzBox 7390 (broadband modem/router) has a usb connection, it allows me to connect to the TF5800 from a remote computer and see the recordings. When running the Topfield tools and TopfHDRW on the remote PC, they are able to see the recording files on the TF5800 but fail when trying to copy between devices. I need to investigate further as I was only playing and sure there is away around the issue e.g. cli.
aekostas
Frequent contributor

Post by aekostas »

Eejit alert! :-)
cthatcham2 wrote:Another working PATA SATA converter - this one was £5.99 on Ebay and plugs into the hard disk drive, so there is no need to drill any holes in the motherboard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5-PATA- ... 980wt_1009

I installed this yesterday and everything is working well. It was easy to fit for those of us new to all this!

Note - there is a red light on the converter which flickers when the machine is working, visible through the top vents, but for such a low price and if your Toppy is in a tv unit you wouldn't notice it.
Can I summarise my (lack of) understanding: does this converter, the WD10EARS drive, and some electrician's tape suffice, or does one still need a different cable?

Can the electrician's tape also be employed to mute the flickering light (not on the vents. obviously :-) )?

And is there a cheaper, more readily available 1TB drive that is recommended with the above combination?
Hardware: TF5800PVR "Black Panther" with WD500AVJB, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG On/Off A3; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.4; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 27/1/14
andyfras
Frequent contributor

Post by andyfras »

aekostas wrote:And is there a cheaper, more readily available 1TB drive that is recommended with the above combination?
I have successfully employed this one in several Toppies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital ... B00CYGSZI2

I recommend putting a jumper on 5-6, but it's not essential.

The Toppy IDE cable is not usually long enough to reach the adapter, so an 80-wire IDE ribbon connected 'backwards' is required. This will need the blanked hole drilling in one connector.
Toppy PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available - PM me for details.
MyStuff 6.6 : Little Clock : MHEGOnOff : Extend : EPG2MEI : SecCache : EIT_Sub : TSSaver : Prune EPG
Channel Organiser : Tap Commander : HDD Info : PCControl : Signal Monitor : MyInfo
URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
aekostas
Frequent contributor

Post by aekostas »

Thanks Andy. Does the pricey Turbosat implement work with just a drive, or do I also need a cable for that one? That drilling hole thing (and the cutting business I have seen you mention) is really not me (plus, I notice that the cable you had previously linked is no longer available).
Hardware: TF5800PVR "Black Panther" with WD500AVJB, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG On/Off A3; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.4; MyInfo B5.6;
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

Turbostat adapter comes with everything you need.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
aekostas
Frequent contributor

Post by aekostas »

Thank you css. So it's £25 and an easy life, or under £10 and who knows when I will figure out how/where to do that hole. Hmm.... :-)
rare_j

Post by rare_j »

I just finished an upgrade to my 5800 using a 500GB Western Digital AV drive, and the startech IDE to SATA adapter.
Everything works fine now, but during installation I found that the IDE cable inside the 5800 wasn't long enough to reach to the adapter, so I had to get a standard 80 wire IDE cable (out of a PC), get the black end drilled so it fitted to the motherboard (blue end goes to the adapter) and carefully fold the cable over three times under the drive caddy so that it would fit. Luckily there's loads of space under the drive caddy in a 5800 for a really long cable. Nevertheless, it was a fiddly fit. Also, luckily for me a work colleague helped me do the drilling.

Had I known how much trouble it was going to be, and had I known that the turbosat adapter was still available, I would have spent a few pounds more and used turbosat adapter.
The WD AV drive is really nice though. Silent and very low power consumption. Hope that helps.

EDIT: the drive is the "Western Digital 500GB AV-GP Hard Drive" at Amazon.
aekostas
Frequent contributor

Post by aekostas »

Ok, that's me done using a cracking, affordable assembly (and a lot of eejit-support) supplied by Andy. Thank you Andy!
MKerton

Post by MKerton »

Hi,

Just to confirm, my 5800PVR is now working with upgrades comprising:
WDEZRX 1TB Green drive (Amazon £46)
Sintec ST4059B SATA/IDE adaptor (From Amazon £11) no 14 on the working/non-working adaptors. Thank you Bob_Swede.

I replaced all capacitors on power supply board, thanks Andyfras.
I found a ATA 80 wire 40 pin ribbon cable in my kit at 30cm long so didn't have the hassle of cutting connectors off.

Formtting took around 30seconds and I have recorded a couple of random programmes and feel smug when looking at the 952836 MB free on the recordings page.

:D

I squeezed a couple of pieces of electrical tape between the Sintec adaptor and the hard drive, just in case they come into contact. Overall, a very tidy job. I did grab an image, but don't know how to post it!

Oh yes, DO replace the caps before replacing the hard drive, that way you avoid potentially frying the drive.

Good luck, Michael
sab13

Latest link for Turbosat SATA disk adapter

Post by sab13 »

For anyone looking to buy a turbosat adapter... the link on the first post in this thread seems to no longer work. If you search for Topfield on the Turbosat site then oddly the adapter doesn't appear.

If you click their Topfield section then it is seems to be there. Rather obvious really (although I nearly didn't bother clicking it after the search didn't show it):

http://www.turbosat.com/products/PATA%2 ... odule.html

I'm about to order one so I hope that's the right product!
lamaison

Post by lamaison »

Please keep us updated - Looking like I'll need to do the same upgrade very very soon!
Dunk
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

Turbosat adapter will work fine, it comes with all the bits you need, but it is expensive.
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
sab13

Post by sab13 »

lamaison wrote:Please keep us updated - Looking like I'll need to do the same upgrade very very soon!
I installed the Turbosat adapter and the new 2TB Western Digital hard disc (WD20EZRX) last night and all is working fine. It was trivial to do. There are no instructions with the Turbosat adapter but it's all pretty obvious as long as you don't miss the fact that the tiny flying power lead gets connected to the adapter board. I particularly like the fact that the disk is pretty much identical in length to the original Toppy one so the cables all fit okay without having to twist and bend too much. Also, the disk is rated for fanless low-power environments and shouldn't get too hot.

Turn on the toppy... it offers to format... and away you go. I did have a problem with MyStuff then not fully working after a fresh install but that rectified overnight once the EPG gathered some data.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 26/8/15