For discussion of firmware updates, enhancement requests, and other upgrades to your Toppy, but not TAPs or computer-related

Moderators: Technical, Oz mods

ahmahmahm
Regular contributor

Anyone got a spare HD300LD or HD400LD?

Post by ahmahmahm »

Hello all. These 300GB and 400GB Samsung drives are getting harder to find now. Has anyone maybe upgraded to one of these, and then upgraded again to something bigger, and therefore has a Samsung spare? Or maybe you've upgraded from the original 250GB drive? I'd be willing to discuss a purchase. :-) Alternatively, a swap might be in order. I have a 300GB Seagate ST3300831A which I was planning to use, but the higher current at startup, etc. put me off using that now.

PM me!

cheers, Andy
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Why don't you go down the SATA route?
ahmahmahm
Regular contributor

Post by ahmahmahm »

Hi Jumbo.
jumbo wrote:Why don't you go down the SATA route?
I just want a simple swap out/in. And don't wanna spend much (wasn't needing to spend anything when I was planning to use the spare 300GB Seagate I have).

cheers, Andy
simonc
Frequent contributor

Post by simonc »

SATA is still a little risky thanks to the vaguarities of SATA-IDE adaptors, although it's got better since the recent good news on Span's SATA01 adaptor. I only went down the SATA route because I wanted a specific drive.
ahmahmahm
Regular contributor

Perhaps the ST3300831A will be OK after all?

Post by ahmahmahm »

Upon further reading... :)

It looks like some boxes came with a Seagate in originally - the 160GB ST3160022A. The power specs for this look pretty much identical to the ST3300831A I have - so perhaps I will be OK with it after all?

How would I know? What sort of problems might I hit with the PSU (a) immediately; (b) over time, if the drive is asking too much of the PSU?

tia, Andy
jumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by jumbo »

Suck it and see! Nothing is 100% certain when it comes to the Toppy. If your power specs are reasonably close then you should be OK. If you want to know more about the problems symptomatic of a faulty PSU (as well as the cheap solutions for some of them) then read the PSU repair threads in the Bugs section.
jaydub
Regular contributor

Post by jaydub »

Try MicroDirect in Manchester. They still had HD400LDs a few weeks ago and they're selling them at a very competitive price.
ahmahmahm
Regular contributor

Post by ahmahmahm »

jaydub wrote:Try MicroDirect in Manchester. They still had HD400LDs a few weeks ago and they're selling them at a very competitive price.
They've sold out, as have Scan, but I did find one at CustomPCWarehouse - possibly it was the last one they had, but it's mine now, all mine..! They delivered nice and fast too. These people COCC would also appear to have them.

Andy

BTW I found my original drive is an SV1604E which doesn't get much of a mention around these parts - a rare one?
misha
Frequent contributor

Post by misha »

Hi Andy,
Do you still have that HD400LD and for any reason would like to sell it?...

Mine crashed and I need a working one to try and recover the data.

Regards,
Misha
ahmahmahm
Regular contributor

Post by ahmahmahm »

misha wrote:Hi Andy,
Do you still have that HD400LD and for any reason would like to sell it?...
Hi Misha.

Sorry, no, it's still running happily in the Topfield, almost crammed full of Xmas TV.

Andy
160GB-->400GB-->500GB (when the 400GB fails - not yet!)
misha
Frequent contributor

Post by misha »

Sure, fair enough. However, risking being cheeky, here is another shot: if at anytime in the future you woukd agree to let it go, I will buy you a brand new 500gb drive. Hope I am not being too pushy...
Regards,
Misha