For discussions about development of TAPs, patches and other software for the Toppy

Moderator: Technical

tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

Ok, good. Thanks ryclark for your answer.

Now i need some help from TAP writers... Could you write a simple TAP which dumps all the EMMA registers(, run it and give me the dump)? (You can find a C header defining most of them under this link: http://tom3q.w.staszic.waw.pl/emma2/emma.h)
Last edited by tom3q on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

FireBirdLib contains the address constants for all the known registers (see the "main" directory). FireBird's CYR TAP contains a simple bit of code that will dump them (although it's not linked into the compiled TAP). You'll need to connect up to the Toppy's serial port to see the output, but if you've done that you can easily use the register addresses and the "dump" command on the serial port.
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

R2-D2 wrote:FireBirdLib contains the address constants for all the known registers (see the "main" directory). FireBird's CYR TAP contains a simple bit of code that will dump them (although it's not linked into the compiled TAP). You'll need to connect up to the Toppy's serial port to see the output, but if you've done that you can easily use the register addresses and the "dump" command on the serial port.
Ooops, little problem there... I don't have a Toppy, but Kaon and i don't think that it allows to run some applications on it and even if it does, there is no API/compiler/etc for it.
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

tom3q wrote:Ooops, little problem there...
Did you want a TAP? Or just the contents of a register dump from the Toppy?
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

R2-D2 wrote:
tom3q wrote:Ooops, little problem there...
Did you want a TAP? Or just the contents of a register dump from the Toppy?
Ok... I've forgotten to add ", run it and give me the dump?" to "Could you write a simple TAP which dumps all the EMMA registers" in my previous post. So, could you?
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

Dump while just watching TV: EMMA_Inactive.
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

R2-D2 wrote:Dump while just watching TV: EMMA_Inactive.
Nice. Thank you very much.
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

I found some spare time to give it a try. I managed to compile your diff patch with minor adjustments. Unfortunately the kernel freezes after printing the first line concerning IDE:

Code: Select all

ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
It probably fails to initialize the IDE due to some hardware differences between Kaon and Toppy. On the other hand I don't boot from flash. That is, the hardware has already been initialized by the Toppy's firmware.

I also noticed that the framebuffer driver seems to work because I can see the penguin on the TV screen (the switch matrix has been initialized by the firmware).
R2-D2
Frequent contributor

Post by R2-D2 »

tom3q wrote:The same EMMA 2 uPD61130A SoC
I always thought the Toppy had a uPD61132A -- is the (potential) difference significant, I wonder?
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

R2-D2 wrote:
I always thought the Toppy had a uPD61132A -- is the (potential) difference significant, I wonder?
Negative. At least the TF5000PVR has a D61130A S1 chip. I actually meant potential wiring differences.
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
Negative. At least the TF5000PVR has a D61130A S1 chip. I actually meant potential wiring differences.
Maybe another IDE interrupt? Also it's possible that something has been initialized by the Toppy software and its configuration is incompatible with something in my driver.

AFAIK, 61132A is nearly identical to 61130A and they differ only in some additional hardware, like Family Guard or something like that.
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

tom3q wrote:Maybe another IDE interrupt? Also it's possible that something has been initialized by the Toppy software and its configuration is incompatible with something in my driver.
I just discovered that you specified NEC_HD_IRQ at two different places, emma-ide.c and setup.c. I only changed the former but oversaw the latter. I would say they belong into a header file. I will let you know about the results.
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:I just discovered that you specified NEC_HD_IRQ at two different places, emma-ide.c and setup.c. I only changed the former but oversaw the latter. I would say they belong into a header file. I will let you know about the results.
Surely, i will move that into a header file after some testing. Have you tried to boot it with standard IRQ set by me (13)?
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

tom3q wrote:Surely, i will move that into a header file after some testing. Have you tried to boot it with standard IRQ set by me (13)?
I changed both defines to 115 (Toppy-specific) - it still got stuck. I also removed all unnecessary stuff from the config (framebuf, NFS etc.). It still freezes at the same location.

I will try to apply your changes one by one when I have more time.
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:
tom3q wrote:Surely, i will move that into a header file after some testing. Have you tried to boot it with standard IRQ set by me (13)?
I changed both defines to 115 (Toppy-specific) - it still got stuck. I also removed all unnecessary stuff from the config (framebuf, NFS etc.). It still freezes at the same location.

I will try to apply your changes one by one when I have more time.
Are you sure that it should be 115? I think that IRQ 13 belongs to the Host Controller Interface and ATA subsystem also belongs to it. So i think the IRQ should be standard (13) on all EMMA2 based boxes.