For discussions about development of TAPs, patches and other software for the Toppy

Moderator: Technical

tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:
tom3q wrote:Hmm, we already have some memory allocated for MPEG/DMA/etc. and it's done with a macro defining low memory (EMMA_LOW_MEM_START or something similar). And also i don't think that alloc_bootmem should be used in _setup() routine, because it's too late for it. It should be used rather in prom.c.
I just tried to mimic the Gigaset kernel. Its modules require this two symbols.
You can try to set emma2_mpeg_mem to EMMA_LOWMEM_START and emma2_mpeg_mem_size to (EMMA_LOWMEM_END - EMMA_LOWMEM_START).
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

tom3q wrote:You can try to set emma2_mpeg_mem to EMMA_LOWMEM_START and emma2_mpeg_mem_size to (EMMA_LOWMEM_END - EMMA_LOWMEM_START).
You probably meant

Code: Select all

emma2_mpeg_mem_size = EMMA_LOWMEM_END - EMMA_MPEG_BASE;
emma2_mpeg_mem = EMMA_MPEG_BASE;
Loading Gigaset modules only worked for emma_rtos, emma_bios, emma_osd, emma_teletext, emma_av and dvbdev. Modules emma_iic, iic_int and demux produced core dumps. I will try to adapt the Gigaset kernel.

How is the progress with the 2.6 kernel?
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:
tom3q wrote:You can try to set emma2_mpeg_mem to EMMA_LOWMEM_START and emma2_mpeg_mem_size to (EMMA_LOWMEM_END - EMMA_LOWMEM_START).
You probably meant

Code: Select all

emma2_mpeg_mem_size = EMMA_LOWMEM_END - EMMA_MPEG_BASE;
emma2_mpeg_mem = EMMA_MPEG_BASE;
Loading Gigaset modules only worked for emma_rtos, emma_bios, emma_osd, emma_teletext, emma_av and dvbdev. Modules emma_iic, iic_int and demux produced core dumps. I will try to adapt the Gigaset kernel.

How is the progress with the 2.6 kernel?
I think that Gigaset modules were compiled with GCC 2.9.5, so you won't be able to succesfully load them under a kernel compiled with GCC 3.x, because of structure alignment problems. This will usually just cause a page fault.

2.6.24-emma2-r4 status:
- working board support (interrupts, timer, etc.)
- GPIO driver with interrupts on GPIO pins support
- fully working I2C driver with clock speed selection
- IDE driver with stable PIO mode (1,5 MB/s) and unstable DMA mode (crashes with write transfers bigger than 4 KB)
DeadBeef
Frequent contributor

Post by DeadBeef »

tom3q wrote:I think that Gigaset modules were compiled with GCC 2.9.5, so you won't be able to succesfully load them under a kernel compiled with GCC 3.x, because of structure alignment problems. This will usually just cause a page fault.
It seems to have been compiled with egcs-1.1.2(2.91.66).
tom3q
Regular contributor

Post by tom3q »

DeadBeef wrote:
tom3q wrote:I think that Gigaset modules were compiled with GCC 2.9.5, so you won't be able to succesfully load them under a kernel compiled with GCC 3.x, because of structure alignment problems. This will usually just cause a page fault.
It seems to have been compiled with egcs-1.1.2(2.91.66).
Wikipedia states:
EGCS development proved considerably more vigorous than GCC development, so much so that the FSF officially halted development on their GCC 2.x compiler, "blessed" EGCS as the official version of GCC and appointed the EGCS project as the GCC maintainers in April 1999.
So, GCC 2.95 is just a new version of EGCS developed already under GCC project. Now then EGCS used to compile Gigaset modules had the same structure alignment as GCC 2.95 used to compile Galaxis modules, thereby incompatible with code compiled using GCC 3.x.
macmac
Frequent contributor

Post by macmac »

Hi Guys...
Just wondering:

Anyone any idea what ultimately happened ?
And why this thread just stopped ?

Thanks
TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.4; PcControl B1.3; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/11/14 ++ 1TB HDD Upgrade
?