Read about the latest site updates, feedback and support

Moderator: General

albertd
Frequent contributor

Daily problems

Post by albertd »

I have noticed that the forums seem to be going down every morning at the moment and when they come back I have to log in afresh. Is there something serious going on with them?
nwhitfield
Site Admin

Post by nwhitfield »

If I knew the answer, they wouldn't be going down in the morning. It's not this site, but something else running on the same server, which appears to be gobbling up huge amounts of resources and bringing the system to a standstill.

I'm trying to investigate and find out what it is, but since the problem almost always happens when I'm not logged in, and sends the system load up to 70+, often the only thing I can do is hit the reset switch and try to work out what's happening afterwards, from the log files.
Support this site - make a donation to our running costs
TopTapper
Frequent contributor

Post by TopTapper »

nwhitfield wrote:something else
Assuming access, atop may be worth a look. I'm having random resource issues with a debian jessie machine and have recently set it to log resources every minute. interpretation is on-going...
albertd
Frequent contributor

Post by albertd »

Thanks Nigel, I was just curious. I tried to reply earlier, but it seemed to have gone again. :(
nwhitfield
Site Admin

Post by nwhitfield »

I thought we were over this, and largely things were behaving much better once I turned off another site on the server, as it was no longer needed by a client.

However, I've had to turn it back on again, so they can check something on the old version of their site, and consequently things seem to be slowing down again early in the mornings.

I hope I can resolve this asap.

Apologies.
Support this site - make a donation to our running costs