Read about the latest site updates, feedback and support

Moderator: General

MikB
Frequent contributor

[SOLVED] Can't login or contact admin?: Forum upgrade disruption ...

Post by MikB »

I wonder if any other users found themselves locked out of the forum after the upgrade? (If you can't log in, please post! ;) ...

Problem 1: With browser-remembered password (and manually retyped) on login I got :-

"You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator."

and then

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to pass the CAPTCHA test."

In each case, it claimed I had entered an invalid password (I hadn't).

I didn't see any sign of problems flagged in the "Site News" thread, so tried to "Contact Us" (webform) to see if it's something specific to me, or a general problem.

Problem 2: When trying to submit this form, it rejected it because "[redacted]@[mydomain].org.uk is already in use". I know. That's me. What a strange response -- to reject a valid email address because it's in use by the person using it (!) I created a temporary "[redacted2]@" for this message. But ...

Problem 3: OK, now I've been Seinfelded ... "No soup for you! It looks like you have been flagged as a spammer."

Solution: In the end I had to pretend "I forgot my password", got the reset link, set the password to the same thing again, and even then got an error on actually logging in "You did not provide a password reset token" ... clearly something's gone a bit wrong there.

Just flagging it up in case other people have been lost and can't contact admin to advise.
Toppy Taps: http://toppy.signal11.org.uk

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
DX
Frequent contributor

Re: [SOLVED] Can't login or contact admin?: Forum upgrade disruption ...

Post by DX »

You were not alone - I too found myself locked out after the upgrade and had to do a "reset password".
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Same here. I even emailed Nigel using the contact form till I remembered that using the forgotten password link would be easier for both of us :roll:
YJ - You may have speed, but I have momentum
Black Panther since Sep '05, Caps replaced July '10
WD10EZRX and Turbosat adaptor added May '16
New Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '21
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
ccs
Frequent contributor

Post by ccs »

I logged in ok. :D
TF5810, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmXl+CtEzIScVdZ
TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/10/14
ccsx
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

No problems logging in here 8)
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 16/12/20
MikB
Frequent contributor

Post by MikB »

YorkshireJumbo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:52 pm Same here. I even emailed Nigel using the contact form till I remembered that using the forgotten password link would be easier for both of us :roll:
Seems only some of us were put on the technological naughty step then!

I object to using a "Forgotten Password?" link when I haven't forgotten. "It's not me, it's you!" :)

But the reason for (attempting to) contact Nigel via the contact form was to make him aware that there may be a wider problem to look at, rather than just resetting the password, tutting, and moving on.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
goodolpete
Frequent contributor

Post by goodolpete »

Same problem for me too.

What happened to that pleasant blue skin I used to have?

GOP
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+Wf
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/2/17
?
nwhitfield
Site Admin

Post by nwhitfield »

To respond to a couple of things,

1. Yes, you can object to using a password forgotten form if you haven't forgotten. It won't get you very far. It's the easiest way to fix things, and frankly putting lots of time into admin for this site is some way down my priority list at the moment. The product is dead, the number of active users is relatively low, and it was actually quite tempting to just turn the forum off completely - the old software was the stumbling block to updating the server OS to something more modern.

2. See above. One template, less for me to worry about.
Support this site - make a donation to our running costs
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

Thanks Nigel. It is much appreciated.

Is there any way to make a donation? The donation link now goes to a generic page. Happy to do it via PM if that's easier
nwhitfield
Site Admin

Post by nwhitfield »

Checking PayPal, admin@toppy.org.uk is still a valid address to send payments to, but don't worry too much about it - the site's now running on the dev server in my office, which I use for testing code I'm writing for other projects (hence the need to keep a modern PHP version on it), so the marginal cost of provision is effectivey nil.
Support this site - make a donation to our running costs
MikB
Frequent contributor

Post by MikB »

nwhitfield wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:58 pm 1. Yes, you can object to using a password forgotten form if you haven't forgotten. It won't get you very far
My comment on that point was clearly a light-hearted "on principle!" joke. I'm sorry you seem to have taken it the wrong way.

Obviously being randomly locked out of a forum, users *also* have the option to not bother reporting the problem for the benefit of others, or trying to fix it themselves, but shrugging and walking away :(

jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

It was hardly what I would call a random lockout, Nigel gave plenty notice he was going to update the forum software viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21381 and did warn of potential disruptions.Personally given what he was doing I thought it went very smoothly 8) with only minimal problems .... from a users point of view.
I have no doubt Nigel was tearing his hair out at some stage ( been there, got the t-shirt with phpBB upgrades)
Perhaps more smilies to indicate humour may have helped :wink: my initial impression of your post wasn't one of "tongue in cheek" :lol:
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; (MyInfo B5.6); PruneEPG 1.0; MyStuff 6.6;
YorkshireJumbo
Frequent contributor

Post by YorkshireJumbo »

^ Indeed! I'm just grateful the Nigel could be bothered to go through the pain of upgrading just for the few of us that are still here. Much appreciated :D
gavink
Regular contributor

Post by gavink »

Well, after logging in successfully a fair few times since the forum upgrade, today my user/password was not recognised.

The password reset seems to have worked ... but all a bit odd.
TF5800, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+U
TAPs: Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; PruneEPG 1.0; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; (USB Accelerator 1.0);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 1/10/20
jimi
Frequent contributor

Post by jimi »

Gremlin perchance ? were you logging in on the same device as previously ?