Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Firmware Patches

Page 21 of 23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
I think I must have missed [Nr] because I started the last update in February and then got distracted... Smile

[Er] and [Pf] could maybe get promoted to the PatchPackV2 -- [Pf] still isn't a complete solution in itself because the stupid firmware can still get itself in a confused state, but it's very helpful in conjunction with EIT_Sub.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I am quite new to this Topfield caper, having purchased a TF5000PVRt only in the last few weeks.

I have experimented with quite a few Taps for various purposes and all is well so far.

I would now like to try some of the firmware patches, but am a little more wary about that, as I don't want to end up with the box in a state where it no longer works and I can't do anything with it.

I am just looking for some re-assurance that what I plan to do (see below) should be OK.

1. I have made a backup copy of the existing operable firmware, as at the time of purchase, using HDFWv2 and transferred that to my PC. (System ID 466, Loader L5.14, Device V5.3.7, Appl. TF-NPTSA 5.13.05, Update Sep 08 2006)

2. I can load (and unload) patches to the firmware file on the PC using FWPatcher, and that all appears to work OK.

3. There is a "BackupSettings" Tap which I have not tried yet, but looks like it will save existing timers, loaded Taps etc. (This is not a major concern as I could reload these if necessary).

4. There seems to be a good deal of information about the process to follow in upgrading firmware eg. when to turn off / on; be sure to wait until the process is completely finished etc. etc.

5. So I sould be able to download the patched firmware, restore the settings and all should be good - SHOULDN'T IT?

6. In the case of any problems, I can reload the current operable firmware (unpatched) - CAN'T I?

I just don't want to get in a position where I manage to take something which is working well and stuff it up - the mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" looms large in our household.

Thanks to all forum members for the help so far and I look forward to your re-assurance !

BrendanJB
juwlz
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
BrendanJB wrote:
4. There seems to be a good deal of information about the process to follow in upgrading firmware eg. when to turn off / on; be sure to wait until the process is completely finished etc. etc.
Since you've already got to grips with HDFW, you may as well use that to update your firmware / add patches anyway. It's much easier. Unless, of course, one of the TAPs you're experimenting with is MyStuff, in which case the MyStuff installer will update the firmware for you and also add MyStuff-friendly patches without you having to worry about the details at all.
Quote:
5. So I should be able to download the patched firmware, restore the settings and all should be good - SHOULDN'T IT?

6. In the case of any problems, I can reload the current operable firmware (unpatched) - CAN'T I?
Yes, and yes.
Quote:
I just don't want to get in a position where I manage to take something which is working well and stuff it up - the mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" looms large in our household.
Unless it's an old Toppy and on the verge of hardware problems anyway, it's quite difficult to brick a Toppy Wink. And sadly, the "official" firmware is already broke (even if you haven't seen the symptoms yet), so it needs fixing anyway Wink.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
BrendanJB
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your response.

I should update my profile, or whatever, so that you know I am from "down-under".

Consequently, haven't really looked at My Stuff yet, as I understand it is primarily for the UK market, and more concerned with the EPG end of things. Where I live, in rural WA, we have the grand total of 4 digital services at present, so not that difficult to keep track of what is going on.

My unit is brand new, so hopefully not about to develop hardware problems quite just yet.

The box has not really missed a beat since I turned it on, but I can see there are lots of little inconsistencies in what it does. I expect many of these may be tweaked through the application of a selection of patches - hence my query.

You have given me the confidence to go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks again.

BrendanJB
juwlz
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
BrendanJB wrote:
I should update my profile, or whatever, so that you know I am from "down-under".
Ah - yes, that would make a difference (to some things - including firmware).
Quote:
The box has not really missed a beat since I turned it on, but I can see there are lots of little inconsistencies in what it does. I expect many of these may be tweaked through the application of a selection of patches - hence my query.
I'd certainly take the HDFW route then.

Julie

jakthelad
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Oct 2009 Posts: 136 Location: LB of Harrow; Probable Tx : Croydon
Having trawled carefully through this thread I wanted to ask if it was a good idea to list patches in my signature, but before posting I thought it would be helpful if I retrieved a list of any patches. So I saved a new copy of MyInfo and listed the patches via Simonc's Decode link for record purposes.

I also thought it might be a good idea to update my signature while I was about it, but sadly failed to keep a copy of the previous one for comparison. Now I feel certain that it has changed in a way I had not expected; I feel sure that it showed "Recommended firmware" with a date in September 2009 and although the log file shows :-

Quote:
MyInfo B4.1a Logging settings etc on 18/1/2010 at 17:17
System ID: 458
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 13.65

the suggested signature which I copied and pasted into my profile box dates the firmware as April 2009. That seems strange and I don't understand what I have changed or if I have changed anything which would give rise to that.

Can anyone enlighten me please ?

I believe I may have added TapCommander and Power Manager between the two signatures, but would either of those be a valid cause ?

?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
MyInfo has a dat file which is used to determine which firmware to report in your sig by identifying which patches you have installed on your system. If the dat file is not up to date, MyInfo will find the closest match it can, which may not reflect what you think you have (although in terms of the included patches, it'll be equivalent, but a newer firmware may automatically include some of the patches that MyInfo is currently reporting as additional to the recommended firmware).

If you download the current MyInfo zip file, you'll get the up to date dat file.

Julie

jakthelad
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Oct 2009 Posts: 136 Location: LB of Harrow; Probable Tx : Croydon
juwlz wrote:
MyInfo has a dat file which is used to determine which firmware to report in your sig by identifying which patches you have installed on your system. If the dat file is not up to date, MyInfo will find the closest match it can, which may not reflect what you think you have (although in terms of the included patches, it'll be equivalent, but a newer firmware may automatically include some of the patches that MyInfo is currently reporting as additional to the recommended firmware).

If you download the current MyInfo zip file, you'll get the up to date dat file.

Julie

Well I downloaded the zip and extracted the contents but I cannot see any dat file. Sad

In the meantime I have discovered the previous log and the suggested signature is :-

Quote:
TF5800t, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.1; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B4.1a; Power Manager v2.2;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/12/09

You can compare that one dated 19/12/09 with the one I obtained today and shown in my current signature below.

Perhaps you can see why I am confused : the firmware date of today's log is older than that shown in the
previous log when I would have expected the reverse. Confused

?
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
It's actually the ini file (not dat) you need to put in the settings folder.

You'll find that the firmware dated 12/9/2009 has more patches.

The earlier one dated 14/4/2009 needs more (+) patches.

You must have an old ini file somewhere which is still being picked up.

ini file.......

# TF5800 firmware, also used by TF5800t if Sy patch applied

456:1365:MyStuff 6:MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStSyT2TdTeTfTpTsXpXwXl
456:1365:MyStuff 5:MS5 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSrStSyT2TdTeTfTpTsXpXwXl
456:1365::5.13.65T
14/4/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStSyT2TeTfTpTsXpXw
456:1409::Buggy Series Link F/W
14/4/2009 :AbBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrTdTeTpTqTtWeXwXl

# TF5810 firmware

457:1509:MyStuff 6:MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqC0CeCkCpCwDeEcEfEgEmEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSlSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXwXl
457:1509:MyStuff 5:MS5 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqC0CeCkCwDeEcEfEgEmEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXwXl
457:1509::5.15.09T
4/9/2009 :AbBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEgEmEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRmRpRsSSdSfSrSxTdTeTfTpTqTtXwXl

# TF5800t firmware, when Sy patch not applied

458:1365:MyStuff 6:MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsXpXwXl
458:1365:MyStuff 5:MS5 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsXpXwXl
458:1365::5.13.65T
14/4/2009 :AbBfBqCeCkCyEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfPPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TeTfTpTsXpXw
458:1409::Buggy Series Link F/W
14/4/2009 :AbBfBqC0CeCkCwEcEfEmEpErEsEvFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPcRRaRhRpRsSSdSrTdTeTpTqTtWeXwXl

ccsx
jakthelad
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
It's actually the ini file (not dat) you need to put in the settings folder.

You'll find that the firmware dated 12/9/2009 has more patches.

The earlier one dated 14/4/2009 needs more (+) patches.

You must have an old ini file somewhere which is still being picked up.

ini file.......

Well I found the ini file (today's date) and deposited it into the settings folder, closed Altair and re-booted the Toppy.
After about 5 minutes to give it plenty of time to settle, I opened Altair and found the new log file but so far as I can see it is unchanged from what is shown below.

?
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Pass.

14/4/2009 +CpCwDeFmOtReSlTdXl looks like 12/9/2009 to me. Confused

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Time to post in the MyInfo thread, I think, since this is a question about how MyInfo reports the patches, not the patches themselves.

Julie

EMJB
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
jakthelad wrote:
Well I found the ini file (today's date) and deposited it into the settings folder, closed Altair and re-booted the Toppy.
After about 5 minutes to give it plenty of time to settle, I opened Altair and found the new log file but so far as I can see it is unchanged from what is shown below.

May I recommend that instead of using terms like "the ini file" you use the actual file name (presumably "MyInfo.ini") and make sure you get the capitalisation right so we can be sure you are talking about the right file. On the Toppy the file names are case=sensitive, so "myinfo.ini" will not overwrite "MyInfo.ini", and will be ignored by MyInfo, for example.

I am also a bit puzzled about the ini file date being today's, unless it has been redated by a copying process. If you used the one from the MyInfo.zip file, that is an example, and not necessarily correct. You should use the one included in the MyStuff download.

EMJB
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
If you used the one from the MyInfo.zip file, that is an example, and not necessarily correct. You should use the one included in the MyStuff download.

Shocked

ccsx
jakthelad
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
May I recommend that instead of using terms like "the ini file" you use the actual file name (presumably "MyInfo.ini") and make sure you get the capitalisation right so we can be sure you are talking about the right file. On the Toppy the file names are case=sensitive, so "myinfo.ini" will not overwrite "MyInfo.ini", and will be ignored by MyInfo, for example.EMJB

Point well taken thanks.

EMJB wrote:
I am also a bit puzzled about the ini file date being today's, unless it has been redated by a copying process. If you used the one from the MyInfo.zip file, that is an example, and not necessarily correct. You should use the one included in the MyStuff download.
EMJB

I downoaded what I thought would be the current MyInfo.zip as suggested by Julie, but direct from the MyInfo B4.1a download TAP link on this site.
Did I misunderstand her instruction? If so where will I find the correct file resides?

Sorry : Edit in red.

?