Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  "Check Your Reservation" -- request for help

Page 3 of 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Apologies for lack of progress on this... I was waiting for a CYR while playing back a recording, because the code seemed to be doing something different to what I thought I'd experienced (anyway, it does stop the playback before putting up the CYR so my memory was playing tricks on me [again]).

My suspicions are that there are three cases, in order of likely occurrence (and I've only really been able to test the first one):
  1. Chase playing a current recording. Toppy does notice it can use the sub (PiP) service. (I can see no technical reason for this limitation, and indeed a patch fixes this specific case).
  2. Playing back a recording. Toppy does not notice it is free to change the main service since it's not actually being watched. (There may be a technical reason for this -- I know the main service channel is restored when playback stops and this is recorded in the playback structure, but I hope that isn't the only reason...)
  3. Watching TV. Toppy does not notice that it can use the sub service. (I think it spots the case where it can reuse the main service, but I've not been able to test this one.)
Playback is treated differently from chaseplay, and I think part of the problem with chaseplay is the way it usually messes up both services (sub and main, since the recording usually starts on the sub service and the chase play then also adjusts the main service, probably so you can drop to Live easily).
Andy K
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
Is there a patch I can play with? please. please please.
I am running 5.13.65 at the moment.

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Andy K wrote:
Is there a patch I can play with?
Sorry to raise your hopes -- it wasn't a general patch (I forced the CYR code change the sub service instead, and it worked for this specific case).
Bauke
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 142 Location: Netherlands
Interesting thread, I lost a few recordings recently and as far as I remember always after using chase play.
The last one was last night I was recording 3 consecutive programmes, after coming home I watched the first one in chase play mode.

This morning I found that the recording was corrupt (almost zero in size). I hope you will be able to find a solution for this annoying problem. In the mean time I will stop using chase play.

Bauke

Tolksee
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jul 2007 Posts: 169 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire
Anyone in a position to find out whether the new Freeview-playback firmware that we're getting soon off the back of the 5810 toppy will have this bug fixed?

nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Well, we can't comment on what will be in a released firmware until we know it's going to be released.

In the past we've seen fixes, or partial fixes, like the change to the EPG gathering, in beta firmwares which then didn't make it into the release. So, on the whole, we don't reveal the details of what's in the test firmwares, unless they're definitely going to be available to everyone.

All the indications we've ever had on this issue are that it would require a fair bit of rewriting of major chunks of the code to make it work.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2656
Quote:
All the indications we've ever had on this issue are that it would require a fair bit of rewriting of major chunks of the code to make it work

Does this mean that "chase playing" a timed recording will always be prone
to losing recordings ??

Chris

Last edited by ccs on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Is it? Since when? I can't say that rings any bells for me.

The specific point I was addressing is the 'Check your reservation' message.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
It doesn't loose recordings, it just stops playback and you have to restart them.

You can install myccyrresume to do this automatically though. (see my sig for correct spelling)

ccs wrote:
Quote:
All the indications we've ever had on this issue are that it would require a fair bit of rewriting of major chunks of the code to make it work

to loosing recordings ??

Chris

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
ccs
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2656
Andy K wrote:
It doesn't loose recordings, it just stops playback and you have to restart them.

You can install myccyrresume to do this automatically though. (see my sig for correct spelling)

ccs wrote:
Quote:

to loosing recordings ??

Chris

Sorry if I'm being confusing - I really meant "chase playing a current
recording". Is there a problem here? Earlier posts in this thread suggest
to me that there are.

Chris
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Sorry if I'm being confusing - I really meant "chase playing a current recording". Is there a problem here? Earlier posts in this thread suggest to me that there are.
The only problem I was reporting is that the "Check Your Reservation" message is much more likely to cause an interruption to your viewing if you are chase playing a current recording. I'm not aware of any other problems that are directly and reproducibly connected to chase playing, at least not in the recent TF5800 firmwares.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
More thoughts about this. The Toppy has two tuners, one will be providing the currently watched channel ("Main" tuner) and the other can be used for PiP ("Sub" tuner). I think the normal thing for the Toppy to do is to use the Sub tuner when the first recording is started.

Case 1, chase playing on a recording. I think the CYR problem happens here most often because the recording started on the Sub tuner, as expected, but then you asked to watch the recording, so the Toppy also changes the Main tuner to the same channel so that when you stop chaseplay you get dropped to Live on the right channel. This, however, ties up both tuners. A possible solution would be for it to also move the recording to the Main tuner -- this would seem like an easy thing to do, so I'm not sure why they don't do this...

Case 2, playing back a recording. The Main tuner could be used in this case, but they seem to resist this because stopping the playback returns you to the channel you were watching when the playback was started. I think the solution for this one is to allow the Main tuner to be changed, and for playback to return to whatever channel the Main tuner is now on.

Case 3, watching TV. I'm fairly sure this one happens because the two tuners are on the same mux. A recording is happening on the Sub tuner so that can't be reused for the new recording (on a different mux) -- so the Main tuner needs to be used. The solution in this case is for the Main and Sub tuners to be swapped, so you can continue watching the current programme. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but again it doesn't seem impossible.
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Here's a quick summary of what I think the problems (-) and solutions (+) might be. Cases 1 and 3 look remarkably easy to fix, and I've found a routine that might help with the difficult bit of case 2.

1) Chase Play
- recording starts on Sub
- both tuners are then on same channel
+ move recording to Main tuner

2) Playback
- recording on Sub
- Main "on" wrong mux for new recording
- playback halted
+ change Main to correct mux
+ don't stop playback
+ remove "old channel restore" from playback stop

3) Watching
- recording on Sub
- both tuners happen to be on same mux
+ move recording to Main tuner
Tolksee
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jul 2007 Posts: 169 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire
Great news. If you can fix playback disruption, I'll buy you (or the website) a pint or 2!! I detest the CYR box interrupting playback and throwing you into Live TV. Evil or Very Mad

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I've just discovered that the difficult code I was going to try to add for Case 2 is... already there! So it's just the other (easy!) playback fiddles that are needed (I think).

Does anyone have any experience of an unnecessary CYR under any other circumstance?