Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  "Check Your Reservation" -- request for help

Page 1 of 25
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Is it still a mystery why we get "Check Your Reservation"? Or is it known to be a limitation of the hardware, and so something we just have to accept? If not, and there's some hope to "fix" it, I'd like to request some help with tracking it down. Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is set up a scenario where it definitely will happen and try to track through what goes wrong (and what might be done differently).

So (unless someone can say it's a waste of time), I wondered if people could help by trying out different combinations of watching and recording to hopefully lead to an easily reproducible "CYR". (In particular, the "Main service will be changed" one.)
MikeyP
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
it doesn't use the tuners intelligently

a major rewrite of the firmware would be needed AFAIK

in fact I'd go as far as to say - a complete dumping of the current firmware and a redesign from scratch IMHO

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
SonicLife
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
Is this thread any use?
rayd
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
R2-D2 wrote:

So (unless someone can say it's a waste of time), I wondered if people could help by trying out different combinations of watching and recording to hopefully lead to an easily reproducible "CYR". (In particular, the "Main service will be changed" one.)

If you are watching a program and recording it at the same time (say BBC 1) - and you have another timer set for a different channel (say Channel 5) during the one you are watching.

The Toppy thinks you are recording and watching on two different tuners so, when the second recording starts, it wants to record using the tuner you are watching.

There are other times it does it, but this is the one that I usually experience.

If it could be fixed it would be /very/ useful.

Cheers,

Ray D

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
SonicLife wrote:
Is this thread any use?

Yes, it is. Thanks!
Andy K
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
and this thread

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74872&highlight=reservation+mux1#74872//url

using bastille firmware IIRC

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
Qwakrz
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Apr 2006 Posts: 189 Location: Plymouth, UK
At present if a single recording starts it seems to use tuner 2 to do the recording while tuner 1 is the one you are watching even if the recording is on the same mux as the currently viewed channel.

When a 2nd timer recording starts the box checks if the recording tuner is already on that mux, if it is it uses it. If not then it will use tuner 1 to do the recording and throw you an error about reservations. This is where the current "check reservation" appears because both tuners will be in use - all be it on the same mux.

What really needs to happen is the box to check if the currently used mux is the one to be recorded on so that it does not produce the "Check reservation box" as it will just use the live tuner to record the first recording if the recording is on the currently viewed mux and the 2nd tuner will be free when the next recording comes around.

I wounder if the tuner checking code only kicks in when the 2nd recording starts and that if its single recording it just blindly says use the other tuner.

Taps: (TAPCommander), RemoteExtender, DescriptionExtender, MyStuff, TF5000 display and eit2mei.
Black Cloud
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
Qwakrz wrote:
What really needs to happen is the box to check if the currently used mux is the one to be recorded on so that it does not produce the "Check reservation box" as it will just use the live tuner to record the first recording if the recording is on the currently viewed mux and the 2nd tuner will be free when the next recording comes around.

I agree. I record every Corrie and EastEnders in case Madam is not home in time to see them. However, she is usually home and watches them live. This behaviour always causes the CYR at the overlap every Monday and Friday. The overlap cannot be avoided because Corrie runs slightly past 8pm and MyStuff won't let me do negative padding for EastEnders.

The workaround, if Madam remembers, is to pop up the PiP (preset to BBC1) *after* the Corrie recording has started but *before* EE starts, and this somehow reorganises the tuners so the CYR is avoided, leaving the recording intact. this suggests that the recording stream can be switched from one tuner to the other while it is in progress without any harmful effects.

This problem is the single worst aggravation I get from the Toppy, as it almost always strikes in the last minutes of a programme, destroying the enjoyment. Strangely, I can live with the breaks in playback due to CYR when I'm not even watching live TV, possibly because it so easy to restart from where it left off, and in many cases it does so automatically. Whereas with the Corrie/EE problem, one has to go into the archive, and MyStuff so kindly starts it from the beginning so you don't see the end first LOL ...

Black Cloud
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 299
By the way, if you reach the stage where you need to test an untested patch, I would be happy to oblige.

eye of ra
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1018
This one may help as well.

Tread

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
Andy K
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
a debug/logger TAP would be usful to log which tuners were on which mux, and if the TAP knew when there was a CYR message that would be brillant to log it

It would also be usful to log if you were in chase play or live or playing a recording back.

I'm sure many of us would be willing to run this logger to help find info.

Autostart TAPs: Jags 3, Bookmark 2uk, Quickjump 1.71, Power Manager 1.1, Description Extender 1.5/2.1, MEI2Archive 3.8l6, Tap Launcher 3.5a, Tap Commander, AccurateBMExtend 0.3, RemoteExt 1.5, TunerRecAR.2
Launched during EPG scan: Crid, SeriesLink 0.35
TF5800 Version 5.13.65 PHT2UFXp5Xw3RpPcE2Bf2BqRsRh3Pf1Ec2ErEfHe1 Ra3Cf2Ct
Samsung 400Gb+Fan
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
eye of ra wrote:
This one may help as well.

Tread
Cheers for finding that one EoR Cool Yup, here's the full quoted post, just to remind folk how to reliably cause the CYR message.

HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Yes Very Happy Here's the post I made in the beta testers area

Quote:
Check Your Reservation Message

I had a hunch about this a couple of f/w's ago, and have just run test 2.16 three times.

I'm almost certain that the Check Reservation message occurs when you are being pulled away from Mux 1 by any of the other muxes.

If you start with a non-mux 1 channel and view a 2nd channel from that mux with a recording set to start on mux 1, all is OK.

Start with a mux 1 channel and view a 2nd from the same mux, any recording set to start on at least mux 2 and mux A cause the viewing to be switched.

I don't have time to test muxes B C & D against Mux 1 at the moment, but if folk could structure their test 2.16 along these lines it could be interesting

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
FireBird
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
I can provide such a TAP. I just have to adapt it that it will write into a log file.
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
I can provide such a TAP. I just have to adapt it that it will write into a log file.

That would be brilliant! I've been doing some small tests using the serial dump commands to check a few bytes about Main (and Sub) Service, Tuners and Demux Channels, but it's hard work and a logger TAP of that sort of info would be very useful indeed. Of course, it would also be interesting to log when the CYR prompt isn't needed, too.

I think the "reservationChecker" (0x80149c58 in 5.13.40 and 0x80150630 in your firmware) is the bit that's run mainly in the background, looping through the timers and checking them. This calls the "checkTimerReservation" (0x8014907c / 0x8014f974) for candidate timers, and this seems to make the final decision. The final path to the CYR (Main Service) prompt starts at 0x80149698 / 0x80150108, although a lot of the code in this area in your firmware is a good deal different (the prompts that happen before are for closing PiP). The last two (significant) checks along this path are whether the main service is not actually started (so it can change it without prompting) or (bizarrely, after all the checking that has occurred before) whether the timer's channel is the same as the current main service. If these fail then it's all over and the CYR message will happen. So it would seem to me that a hook in the "checkTimerReservation" function would log a timer before it's fired, and a hook after the branch at 0x801496d0 / 0x8015013c would be able to log a CYR Main Service prompt (the code before this branch looks like one of the best candidates for finding a code signature).
FireBird
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
Here?s the first version. It dumps and decodes some EMMA-Registers to the serial console and the file ?CYR.log?. The dump is initiated by the info key and it is stopped by the sleep button. It doesn't hook anything right now.