Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  QuickJump

Page 1 of 74
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Thanks to Simon Capewell for this TAP which is now available from the software library

http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=147

It provides extra jump functions during playback via the coloured keys, including skipping 3 mins forward, or ten seconds back. More details in the Readme that accompanies the download.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 May 2005 Posts: 47
Sounds great, I'll be giving it a go - thanks!
xandertarr
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Plymouth, UK
This is one very useful TAP. Having installed it last night it is very very useful and makes skipping though adverts very very easy.

Highly recommended.
tichtich
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
Thanks for the TAP, Simon. I found it useful for my TV viewing last night. I did notice, though, that the skip times were rather different from advertised. The red button is only 2 minutes forward. The blue blutton is only 3 or 4 seconds back, and that definitely needs to be increased, especially as my Toppy takes at least 1 second to resume the sound after a skip.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
ARW
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 25 Location: Surrey, UK
I've also been monitoring the forum for this: an eagerly awaited release it seems! Simon, thanks for the QuickJump TAP. Just what the doctor ordered...

However, could I make a suggestion w.r.t. the use of keys. (I'm not a TAP developer, so please excuse me if the following is not possible).
Rather than using the fiddly colour keys at the bottom of the remote (that give my thumb cramp!), how about using the large heavily *under*used yet conveniently placed arrow keys in the centre of the remote?
These seem to have no use during playback or timeslip.

So how about leaving the colour keys with their normal functions and make arrow-up=+3mins, arrow-right=+1min, arrow-down=-30secs, arrow-back=-10secs (configurable of course)
The OK/List button in the centre (currently duplicating the LIST button in timeslip, and duplicating the Archive key in playback) should toggle between Play & Pause.
The P+ & P- do nothing in payback, but are conveniently located for FFwd and FRew in that mode (again to reduce thumb cramp!).

The great thing about this TAP is no need to call up the progressbar. However, I guess the progressbar still has a role to play.
With the progress bar enabled the arrow-up and arrow-down keys have no function: make these jump to the start or end of the buffer respectively? Leave the right & left arrows as is for zooming through the buffer. The yellow key defaults to a short jump forward, how about the blue for a short jump back?

In interactive mode, IMHO this TAP should leave all the keys with their default uses... if you are timeslipping a program *and* reading interactive text, are you going to be so worried about skipping ads too?

Simon, again, thanks for a great TAP.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, they arrow keys are a little problematic.

Although the TF5800 firmware can distinguish between them and other keys, TAPs can't do so effectively at all times.

On the original versions of the machine, the arrow keys controlled volume and channel change, and to many TAPs, they still appear indistinguishable. For example, fire up ImproBox, and you'll find that you can move through the screens with both arrow keys and with v+/v-

So if you did map the arrow keys during playback, you'd find thaty you'd also mapped the channel change and volume control keys; while you could live without the former, it's unlikely people would want to forgo the latter.

The redesign of the remote to allow for interactive services caused this; it seems unavoidable, though at least we've recovered from the truly weird excesses of the original firmware, where it caused even more problems than it does at the moment.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 532 Location: Diss / Tacolneston Transmitter
Just tried this TAP - works fine for me - many thanks Simon.

I have placed it in my program folder so if Im watching TV normally it is not loaded and all keys for text etc work ok then when I plan on watching a recording I just load the quick jump tap (esp if the prog is one containing adverts) and use it as per the readme.

Thanks again. W

Very Happy
simonc
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
I wish it was that simple to tell when you are in interactive text mode! There is a status flag that looks like it'll tell you when you are in text mode, but it never appears to be set!

As for the arrow keys, it'd be nice if there was a way of distinguishing them from volume and P+, P-, but at the moment it just can't be done Sad

Quite like the idea about using the up and down arrows (bear in mind that this will override the P+ and P-) when the progress bar is displayed, although zooming to the end will merely result in a Playback Stopped message showing almost immediately. Anyone got a better suggestion for the down arrow?
ARW
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd willingly forgo the P+/- and V+/- but that's just because I tend to use the TV remote for V+/-.

I've found the Toppy very stable (famous last words!): I hope the next firmware update will concentrate on ease of use and on fixing issues like those just mentioned with the remote's key mappings in the API.

Any idea when the next firmware update might arrive, and what might be in it? For me: ad-skipping, a decent grid-style EPG that accurately shows when timers will start and stop, and one-button access to the timers list would be my priorities.

TimerExtend, MultiServiceEPG, QuickJump all working well to dramatically improve the user experience.
TimerKey touches the wrong key for me (satellite key better?)
radarman
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2005 Posts: 69 Location: Horton Heath
Thanks for this TAP, excellent stuff !!!
tre4
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 93
Anyone else experienced a problem with the picture freezing when the blue button is pressed if nothing is playing i.e. no buffer or playback in progress?

Also can I suggest ommiting the red button so that the MHG stuff still works with the tap loaded. I'm okay with that but it confuses the hell out of the missus when it says press the red button and she does but nothing happens Smile

In some ways this could be done by picking a rarely used button (what is that satelite button used for?) and allowing 1,2, or 3 presses for increasing time skips
ARW
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I had that. I had just exited interactive text while trying timeslip-&-text and pressed blue when it happened... and the picture went to a quarter screen too, top left corner, i.e. as with interactive text on the BBC (but with the other 3 quarters all black).
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
Version 1.1 of this TAP is now available for download.

Incidentally, if you register for site Services, you can add favourite TAPs to a download list, and you'll receive a notification when a new version is added to the site.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 532 Location: Diss / Tacolneston Transmitter
Details of changes in Read Me:

History:
1.1 Improved jump accuracy. Green, yellow and blue buttons work correctly when viewing interactive text and live TV.

W.

Thanks again Simon - great TAP

Very Happy
rayd
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
Wildoat wrote:
Details of changes in Read Me:

History:
1.1 Improved jump accuracy. Green, yellow and blue buttons work correctly when viewing interactive text and live TV.

W.

Thanks again Simon - great TAP

Very Happy

Agreed Razz

BTW, what is TSR Commander referred to in the Readme file?

Cheers,

Ray D