Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  HDFW v1.1a - load firmware from hard disk

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Edit: HDFW v2 by FireBird is now available -- as well as looking lovely, this can also apply firmware patches!

--- Old Information Follows: ---

HDFW v1.1a is available. This should work on more Toppys than just the TF5800 -- but no guarantees! Please report problems (and successes...) here to aid other users.

At present, this TAP is probably of most interest to aXeL users since it greatly simplifies setting it up -- just put aXeL.tfd in the same directory as the firmware you intend to load.

The first check is that the necessary firmware routines can be found. Please report your Toppy model and firmware revision (and, if possible, a link to the firmware) if it fails at this step.

You will then be prompted to select a firmware (.tfd file) from those you've uploaded to the Toppy. You can navigate to any directory to find these. If aXeL.tfd is found in the same directory then HDFW will do the necessary faffing with extending and double-flashing. Simple checks are performed on the firmware when it is loaded. If everything is in order the firmware will be flashed and during this time (approx 30 seconds for a normal sized firmware) the screen will freeze.

Update: And note that this TAP is compiled against v1.22 of the TAP API (like probably lots of your existing TAPs!), so in order to run it you'll need a firmware which supports that (June 2005 onwards, I believe). If you end up on an earlier firmware then (a) WHY?!!? and (b) you'll have to use the existing tools to upgrade. Smile

Good luck!

Background thread here.

Compatibility: I'll try to keep this list up-to-date, but so far (and rather coarsely):
Confirmed compatible: TF5000, TF5100, TF5500, TF5800
Incompatible: TF6000 (possibly due to different memory layout -- can anyone do me a memory dump?)

Last edited by R2-D2 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:26 pm; edited 8 times in total
jumbo
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Dude,
Groundbreaking or what Shocked I don't actually need to but I'll have a go tonight once my recordings are done - just in case!
jumbo
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Boy that was the longest 30 seconds of my life but it was all done in a flash Wink Excellent job! Well done.
Flashed two patched firmwares: latest (unreleased which does not take simonc's 0 patch) and back to my 13.26. No problemos. I can breathe now Razz I think you should have called it Flasher, Flashman, ....
LordCake
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Manchester
Thanks R2-D2. I think this is a great feature to add.

Quick question, is there a minimum firmware that needs to be running on the Toppy for HDFW to work?

Model: TF5800PVR F/ware: 5.13.65EfNfCyXpXwSXlUUuHPTCeGmSrUxEsRs Xmitter: Winter Hill Q: ~100% S: 76-95% Aerial: Group C/D bandpass filter Taps: MyStuff v4.54d, RemoteExtender v1.5, deselect v1.0Connected: Toppy<->undeclocked debianSLUG + iguanaIR running: ftpd-topfield, rt2mei, bleb2tie & lirc
EPG data for radio channels: http://my.opera.com/bleb2tie/
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
LordCake wrote:
Quick question, is there a minimum firmware that needs to be running on the Toppy for HDFW to work?

I don't think so -- it will complain (and not do anything) if it can't find the right routines. But they are basic flashing routines required by all Toppys, so it's only if they've changed a lot that they might not be found. In contrast, the previous versions used a routine that was specific to the TF5800, although it appears in firmwares at least as far back as 5.12.25 (which is just the earliest one I have around).
Nimbus
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 581 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
Firstly, I just want to say that I am continualy impressed by the dedication and inovation of members of this forum who spend so much time and effort in developing these amazing Tap and hacks. I salute you!

Second, I'm just about to copy the tap and f/w files to my toppy with a view to trying this out soon and have one question. I currently use 5.12.25PH and intend to update this with the Timer Patch first then use the HDFW tap to load this and the Xel thingy. If I'm updating to the same f/w version do I need to do a system reset after loading the updated f/w? I assume not, but want to check.

Cheers!

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
Nimbus wrote:
If I'm updating to the same f/w version do I need to do a system reset after loading the updated f/w? I assume not, but want to check.

You don't need to reset (switch to standby and switch on again) at any point for any kind of update. But you won't be running the new firmware until you do. The Toppy runs on an (uncompressed) copy of the firmware stored in flash -- it does not run on the contents on flash directly.

In your specific example, I'd advise you to reset as soon as you can so you can take advantage of the Timer Patch you're adding. Be prepared for a slightly different display when booting aXeL, though ("C456" -> "Load" -> "run").
dohf
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
You guys truly are wizards. No problems with updating Finnish 5100PVR Masterpiece.
Tried with an unpatched old fw and the newest one with all possible patches and all went ok. "AxeLising" succeeded nicely, too.

Thanks, this is definitely one of the best TAPs ever, it makes updating so much easier than before.
janilxx
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
R2-D2 wrote:
Please report problems (and successes...) here to aid other users.

One Finnish Terrestrial Masterpiece (TF5100t-MP) owner used this twice succesfully Very Happy
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Very impressive Smile Do you plan to add an auto-reboot function?

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
janilxx
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
bellissimo wrote:
Do you plan to add an auto-reboot function?

And automatic "restore factory defaults" + "return settings + timers back"?

And this is a little harder:
Automatic "remove power plug for 10 seconds"
Wink
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
On a slightly unrelated note:

I installed the 5.13.40PHT firmware and aXeLised it. In the menu info the firmare is listed as 5.13.40P. I assume this is because of a text limit on the name. Is there any way of knowing exactly what firmware version is currently installed?

If possible it would be nice if this info were built into this TAP, maybe in the file list header.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
Is there any way of knowing exactly what firmware version is currently installed?

Apart from modifying the version string to squeeze a "P" (for "patched") in, there's no standard for labelling firmwares with which patches they have, and no suitable info for this in the current patch (.tfp) files. It might be worth formalising the informal standard of appending single letters, since I'm sure a place could be found to squirrel them away (in the flash, maybe).

By the way, if you attempt to flash the same firmware again it will do it remarkable quickly... it's clever enough to not update flash sectors that are the same.
FireBird
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
bellissimo wrote:
I installed the 5.13.40PHT firmware and aXeLised it. In the menu info the firmare is listed as 5.13.40P. I assume this is because of a text limit on the name.

Space is one reason for not continuing to show letters. The other is that the Patcher just can replace one static pattern with another static pattern. This means that every patch author would have to add a patch for every combination of letters.

Quote:
Is there any way of knowing exactly what firmware version is currently installed?

No, not from standard Toppy menus.
jumbo
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
A clever way of identifying patches by a single letter would be to assign unique "special" binary numbers to each patch and using some standard tricks to "roll/unroll" them in order to "map" the big patch to its constituent parts in both directions.
The other would be to simply store the patch detail "somewhere" in the firmware and have a TAP that deciphers and displays the relevan infomation.

Question for R2-D2: What happens if a .tfd file is "bad"? Does the flasher fail and stop or will it flash garbage and bugger the Toppy?

Once again grrrrrreat piece of work!