Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  USB Accelerator

Page 3 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
danb77
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
I'd like to try this. Can anyone advise on the setting in MacTF which needs to be changed to get it to work?

Thanks!

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
DeadBeef
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jan 2006 Posts: 264
R2-D2 wrote:
sanecyclist wrote:
Does the patch remove the CRC check on uploads too?

But I suspect it might be possible to do a similar thing for uploads.
The current patch for the download direction is a one-instruction patch for data packets in file transfers (the others still contain valid CRCs). The problem with the upload direction is that the firmware checks the CRC first and then decodes the packet header. A one-instruction patch is possible but it would suppress the CRC check for all incoming data packets.

shenson wrote:
It might be possible to get better than 25% if the linux stuff could be got working. It is possible to get Linux to emulate a mass storage device over USB and then one of the various programs that can access the hard disk directly should work.
A couple of month ago I started developing a TAP emulating mass storage based on open source implementations (e.g. Linux). Though, it requires more time than I have. There is too much functionality to be ported and tested. And in the end there is no guarantee that the ported code will give any performance boost (except for better usability).

jumbo wrote:
I get a 10% increase using TAP and new ftpd-topfield on my Asus both on Mac (using Fetch) and PC (using Filezilla). Rates are 1.1 MB/s before and 1.2 MB/s after.
I assume you transfer the data via WLAN. The implementation of the ftpd seems to have some coupling between the USB interface and the client-side interface which results in a throughput decrease.

simonc wrote:
A quick test on the PC with a 7m USB cable gives me a 30% improvement.
How much is it in absolute numbers?

Quote:
I'd like to try this. Can anyone advise on the setting in MacTF which needs to be changed to get it to work?
Actually there are no special settings. I just misinterpreted the report of the user who tested the patch with MacTF.
simonc
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5643 Location: Cheltenham
182,693,888 byte file
before: 90s = 2MB/s
after: 70s = 2.6MB/s
sebw
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 293 Location: Southampton
I have used the tap and got the following results downloading a 682MB file.
(See signature for my hardware).

Non-accelerated:

Non-turbo time 14:34, giving 0.78MB/s
Turbo time 06:18, giving 1.8MB/s

Accelerated:

Non-turbo time 10:36, giving 1.0MB/s
Turbo time 05:00, giving 2.2MB/s

Many thanks to Deadbeef and msteveb for these significant improvements.

matt
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Does anybody have the latest firmware "patched up to the hilt" to save me a few minutes?

thanks,
matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
andyrogers
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Hi

Try http://www.andyscomp.f9.co.uk/TF5800PVR-Topfield-Sys_456_2007APR24phdst2aU.tfd

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
vroomfondle
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
simonc wrote:
182,693,888 byte file
before: 90s = 2MB/s
after: 70s = 2.6MB/s

ermm .. isn't that 1.935Mbytes/sec?

(1024*1024 bytes in a Mbyte)

simonc
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5643 Location: Cheltenham
Err, I got my calculator from a hard disk manufacturer.
matt
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth

Andy, you beauty. Thanks.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
matt
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm getting 0.75MB/s in both turbo and non-turbo mode.

Hmm. Any ideas?

I use Transmit, a Mac FTP client, to connect to ftpd-topfield on my Asus. Would that have to support no-CRC mode, too? If so, how are you guys using ftpd-topfield to download at such high speeds. Direct to a hard drive connected to the Asus?

edit:
jumbo wrote:
I get a 10% increase using TAP and new ftpd-topfield on my Asus both on Mac (using Fetch) and PC (using Filezilla). Rates are 1.1 MB/s before and 1.2 MB/s after.
Was hoping for 50% but who's complaining. Well done Deadbeef!

After letting things settle for half an hour, I'm getting the same results as Jumbo, using Mac command line ftp.

matt

jumbo
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I don't know how others are reporting download speeds. I'm just reporting what the ftp client (Filezilla or Fetch) tells me after a few minutes into the dowload process. I'm puzzled about faster downloads using ftpd-topfield. I wish someone could explain Rolling Eyes
rygle
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 36 Location: Canberra, Australia
Quote:
A couple of month ago I started developing a TAP emulating mass storage based on open source implementations (e.g. Linux). Though, it requires more time than I have. There is too much functionality to be ported and tested. And in the end there is no guarantee that the ported code will give any performance boost (except for better usability).

Deadbeef, this would be terrific for those who want to access their Toppy remotely. I'd like some way of emulating a USB connection across a LAN so programs that expect USB (Altair etc) can work remotely.

This is slightly different, but good because it would allow a NAS (or Linux box, or old windows laptop in my case) to share the toppy on the net. Then you don't need ftp programs etc.

Alternately, is there an FTP client that mounts FTP shares as drives? That would be interesting!

Rygle
rygle
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 36 Location: Canberra, Australia
A followup on the item before.

I've just discovered that I can mount the Toppy as a drive in Windows and Mac using ftp, and I imagine Linux can do this too. If we could get fast USB going, it might make a toppy able to stream across the net via a slug, windows or mac box.

Windows XP will natively mount it as a network share, although it doesn't get a drive letter. See here;
http://fanpotai.wordpress.com/2006/08/03/how-to-mount-an-ftp-drive-in-windows/

Other alternatives that mount the ftp share as a drive include;

Novell Netdrive - abandonware? for Windows - has some stability problems and the licensing issue is dicey.
See http://glosoli.blogspot.com/2005/10/map-drive-via-ftp-or-webdav.html

Webdrive- commercial & expensive for Windows
http://www.webdrive.com

SFTPDrive - commercial for Windows (secure FTP)
http://www.sftpdrive.com/

FTPDrive - free for Windows
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/FTP-Servers/FTPDrive.shtml

Interarchy - commercial for Mac
http://nolobe.com/interarchy/

I imagine Linux can mount anything it likes natively, and thus those with slugs could mount their toppy and share it across the net quite easily.

Cheers,

Rygle

Last edited by rygle on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
sanecyclist
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
simonc wrote:
Err, I got my calculator from a hard disk manufacturer.

Laughing

It did have it right though, since bandwidth usually is measured in decimal units, i.e. with 1000 bytes to the KB.

That's because bandwidth is directly proportional to the clock rate of a connection, which has always been measured in decimal units, e.g. USB 1.1 runs at 12MHz, i.e. 12,000,000 ticks/second, and converting to binary Mbits would be rather bothersome.

People should start using the new binary units like KiB and MiB to reduce the confusion.
sanecyclist
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
rygle wrote:
I've just discovered that I can mount the Toppy as a drive in Windows and Mac using ftp, and I imagine Linux can do this too.

Trouble is, both the built-in Windows facility and Netdrive download the whole file to a temporary location before serving read requests, i.e. they're only really suitable for small files.

But I think curlftpfs for Linux does implement random access without a temp
file, presumably using the resume facility of the FTP protocol.

I don't know about the other Windows solutions or the Mac.

ps: I just had a quick look at the FTPDrive webpage. It does use resume to implement random access and enable streaming, so that's worth trying. (But perhaps in a different thread.)

Last edited by sanecyclist on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total